SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Questioning Our Character (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/102704-questioning-our-character.html)

historyteach 09-07-2006 04:03 PM

Questioning Our Character

"In order to struggle successfully with yourself, you must know your character intimately, and be aware of your faults. To achieve this self=awareness, sit down with a pen and paper - the exercise will be painful - and write down what you feel are your most obvious character flaws and weaknesses:
  • Am I prone to anger? When I am angry, do I overreact and say or do things that inflict pain on others? Or am I the sort of person who, if asked, will deny that I am angry, yet will treat other people with coldness, disdain, and annoyance?
  • Do I judge others fairly, or am I harshly critical (both in what I say and what I think)?
  • Am I stingy with my money or my time?
    Do I speak curtly, making people feel that I have no time for them? (This is unkind, even if we are busy.)
  • Do I avoid saying or doing what I believe is right because I fear how others will react or what they will think of me?
  • Am I moody?
  • Do I make people around me feel that they are somehow responsible for my moods?
  • Does my unhappiness affect the atmosphere in my home, transforming, often in a matter of minutes, a general feeling of pleasantness and good will into one of tension and sadness? (Taking away the good mood of those around us and lowering their spirits is a cruel, even if unintentional, act of aggression.)
  • Do I treat strangers with more consideration Than members of my own family?
  • Do I take other people's kind behavior for granted, or do I go out of my way to express thanks and help those who have been kind to me?
  • Do I blame my wrongful actions and mistakes on others, or do I take responsibility for the wrong I do?
  • Do I jump to conclusions and blame other people before I know all the facts?
  • Am I able to control my impulses, or do I give in to temptation easily?
  • Do I bear grudges and remain angry at others for a long time after an argument?
  • Am I tardy, and thereby waste other people's time by keeping them waiting?
  • Do I rationalize dishonesty with excuses such as "Business is different?"
  • When I hear of other people's sufferings or misfortunes, do I find ways to help them, or do I feel sadness in my heart but do nothing?
  • Am I jealous of the success of others? Do I begrudge others their good fortune?
Once you have drawn up your list, do not become discouraged, even if you find that you have many weaknesses. Drawing up a list like this is the first and most important step in changing your character for the better.

Joseph Telushkin"

I would add only one thing to this fine assessment.
When you've finished looking at your weaknesses, make a similar list -- just as long -- of your good character traits.
Balance is everything. :e058:

Shalom!

indigo 09-08-2006 08:10 AM

good stuff Teach.

indie

windysan 09-08-2006 09:41 AM

I'm such a jerk.

historyteach 09-11-2006 06:16 PM

And what's the positive trait that balances that statement, windy??? :e058:

L'Chaim!

windysan 09-12-2006 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by historyteach
And what's the positive trait that balances that statement, windy??? :e058:

L'Chaim!

nothing positive to report about myself. i'll let you know when i make something up.

shockozulu 09-12-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by windysan
nothing positive to report about myself. i'll let you know when i make something up.

You could have fooled me. I like your sense of twisted humor that is exhibited in your choice of avatars for example.

windysan 09-12-2006 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alera
You could have fooled me. I like your sense of twisted humor that is exhibited in your choice of avatars for example.

Thanks !! That can be a good character quality or whatever.