Online 'Get Confident' full course..

Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Online 'Get Confident' full course..

This is a hard link to post because it's only as you wonder round the different sections that the amount it contains becomes clear. It's a BBC online course for improving confidence.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/confidence/learn/

You can answer a questionnaire to see where you have confidence strong points and recieve suggestions for goals in areas where you're less confident( http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/health...ence_daytrip12 ).

You might need this handy guide to the course contents!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/confiden.../sitemap.shtml

Have fun - it's ace to browse and play with....
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alconaut

Hey....

Thanks for this Eq!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks this is something I will definately check out!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

All content within BBC Health is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. The BBC is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the content of the BBC Health website.
Well, why am I wasting my time when I could be in an online chat with a real doctor

Looks interesting Equus, thanks for the link.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, why am I wasting my time when I could be in an online chat with a real doctor
Is there a place where you can do that? I wouldn't want to touch it with a 10foot barge pole unless the doctor was accountable, ie open qualifications, adherance to medical ethics, published and usable means of complaint etc.

I've got a friend who works in a 'walk in centre' as a nurse, her job involves the 'whole' picture of a person, counselling techniques for diagnosis questions and full access to records. They have recently stood their ground over NOT using computer algorithums (sp?) while asking patients questions because it means they are behaving inpersonally and facing the wrong way. That about sums up what I think of good practice, where the whole person matters enough to face the right way. I truly can't imagine good practice over the net unless it went tno further than signposting to more substantial help.

I like the BBC - I just like what they do, I like that they seem to offer as much as is possible, sort of going the extra mile, I like their ethics.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did anyone try any of the excercises? I liked the PAC one!! It really made me think...
Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
alconaut

I haven't yet, Eq. When you posted the thread I thought, "Hmm. This will be helpful to someone." I didn't think it might be me.

I have begun wondering just how many of my hang-ups have to do with self-confidence, the more I look at certain aspects of my life. Like leaving the house. Alcohol generated self-confidence when I didn't have any.

I'll check it out and let you know what I come up with.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by equus
Did anyone try any of the excercises? I liked the PAC one!! It really made me think...
I just took the PAC one Eq - I scored highest on "parent" and lowest on "child", though my score for parent was barely discernable as being higher than "adult". All the bars were high on the graph, and the score for"child" wasn't a whole lot lower than "adult". If expressed as a percentage, it would have been about 10% lower I guess.

The results would be more precise if they were expressed in percentages or numbers alone. All in all though I looked almost even across the board, and the parent and adult bars went straight to the top. What did yours look like?

I checked out the rest of the site, and the information is very good. Self-confidence isn't as big a concern as I originally thought. At least not pressing.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Shoot...Having trouble getting through the questions..It must be intentional that there isn't any middle ground. *laughs*
Old 08-27-2006, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Oops, I mean the PAC questions in the interactive area.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah - I think it's intentional. It's a pain to do but usually gives a better result without middle options.

On the PAC test I came highest on the adult, none on the parent but quite high on the child!! Well I always knew that I like to jump in puddles!!

I don't see confidence as a major issue but I quite like the way they break it up into different areas rather than just 'confident' versus 'unconfident' - it makes much more sense to me that way. I quite like thinking I can work on an area of confidence that isn't that strong without viewing my whole self as underconfident (which I don't think is true).
Old 08-27-2006, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

I got highest on parent, lowest on adult, & almost the same as child as on adult. (tiny bit higher)
I take responsibility where I shouldn't...

Maybe we can rub off on each other a bit! *laughs*

Yeah, it seemed more useful than many other online tests I've seen.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by equus
Yeah - I think it's intentional. It's a pain to do but usually gives a better result without middle options.
Yes - the results weren't as visible with mine, and it didn't match any of the examples shown. I scored high in all of them. But it did explain what high and low indicated for each category, so it's all good. The short of it is that I'm the bossy kid on the playground who thinks she's an adult..

On the PAC test I came highest on the adult, none on the parent but quite high on the child!! Well I always knew that I like to jump in puddles!!
Yes, I figured that (high on child). It's one reason I find you so endearing and refreshing.

I don't see confidence as a major issue but I quite like the way they break it up into different areas rather than just 'confident' versus 'unconfident' - it makes much more sense to me that way. I quite like thinking I can work on an area of confidence that isn't that strong without viewing my whole self as underconfident (which I don't think is true).
I liked that too; it is comprehensive and well categorized. I like the whole site.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You know for a while I worried that maybe we shouldn't be so playful in our relationship (with D). I will jokingly stick my bottom lip out or stamp my foot!! It's kind of what's left after realising my real temper was a pain in the bum - now I revert to taking the mick out of it!! I think maybe it would be a bit unbalancing if D didn't joke around just as much. I can't put my finger on it but however awful it might sound, play, wonder, palyacting, and craetivity accounts for a massive chunk of our homelife. It seems quite bizarre to me because I have to be so damn serious at work (unless with kids who find out I'm nuttier than them!!). When was the last time you saw a 35 yr old lass having a foot stamping competition (trying to stomp on each other's feet) with a teenage lad? And I flippin' win!!!

Water pistols, sandcastles, kites and funny peddly toys bought for 50p from the car boot!

I think it's about knowing which responses to bring to the front when - I like that way of looking at it as opposed to thinking I have to loose bits of myself (like that ever makes a girl feel good!!).