SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Braveheart (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/101006-braveheart.html)

Don S 08-17-2006 09:53 PM

Braveheart

200 AA meetings, $1300, 90 days license restriction, and rehab. That should do it.
Now about those nasty comments during the arrest.....

From tmz.com....

Mel Gibson Cops a Plea

Posted Aug 17th 2006 2:00PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Celebrity Justice, Mel Gibson
Mel GibsonTMZ has learned Mel Gibson's lawyer went to the Malibu Courthouse Thursday and appeared with the prosecutor to reveal a plea deal. Gibson has agreed to three years probation, but will avoid jail time. Gibson was ordered to attend one year of AA meetings. For the first four-and-a-half months he must attend five times a week. For the remainder of the time, he must attend three times a week. Gibson must also pay $1200 in fines and penalties as well as one hundred dollars in restitution.

Gibson volunteered to do a public service announcement on the hazards of driving under the influence. He also volunteered to enter a rehab program immediately.

Under the deal, Gibson pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor of driving with a .08 blood alcohol level or higher. The misdemeanor count of driving under the influence was dismissed. The infraction of driving with an open container of alcohol was also dismissed.

Under California law, Gibson will have his driver's license restricted for 90 days.

Free Roll 08-19-2006 12:20 PM

I think I would rather go to jail than suffer through 200 agonizing meetings of drunken rehash.

CarolD 08-19-2006 12:36 PM

Welcome back to SR Free Roll!

:c031: We all have iotions... hope you find peace with yours.

Take care..

Don S 08-19-2006 01:46 PM

bump

historyteach 08-19-2006 02:35 PM

I think this more clearly belongs in secular or in cafe.
I see NO offer of assistance for alcoholism here.

L'Chaim!

CarolD 08-19-2006 03:01 PM

Thanks for suggesting it
I think you are correct Teach.

Autumn 08-20-2006 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Free Roll
I think I would rather go to jail than suffer through 200 agonizing meetings of drunken rehash.

Well, some things are for certain. MG definitely has the time, money, and influence to precipitate some changes within the California legislature. Not to mention a bit of pull with Mr. Schwartzenegger.

I think he's a little pre-occupied with his public image - apparent through his attempts at self-redemption since the incident - which makes his sincerity questionable. Especially with evidence of having made anti-semitic remarks in the past.

He might really dig AA though.

Since he won't be able to get away with forging court slips due to his high-visibility, perhaps he will discover AA doesn't benefit his agenda (personal or public), and California offenders will soon be offered an array of rehabilitation choices.

I wouldn't count on it, but you never know.

I just can't help thinking he's going to play right into the powerless and diseased role as a means for appealing to the public's sympathies. The aspect of a Higher Power he will undoubtedly find appealing as well (NOT bashing).

If that STAR article (!hurl!) Don posted awhile back is true, the arresting officer (who is Jewish) did the public no favors by shrugging off responsibility of MG's behavior to the effects of alcohol! In fact, I'm quite surprised that being a man of the law, he would even suggest something like that. Our prisons are filled with individuals who have committed crimes while under the influence, which clearly indicates the amount of responsibility a judge levels on substance abusers!

indigo 08-20-2006 03:12 AM

Personally I've never liked Mel Gibson and he should be under lock and key somewhere, with his mouth zipped. His father is a Holocaust deny(er) sp. He has obviously passed on all his bad attitudes to his son. Mel Gibson is a 'devout' Catholic (hahahaha) I was brought up a dyed in the wool Catholic, I might not be one now, however I do remember something about "Love thy neighbour as thyself" not nice Mr.Gibson sr. or jnr. not nice at all, neither is his homophobia. Excuse my venting I am apaulled sp. Sorry if I went off topic I just can't stand bigots.
indigo