SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Handling stress (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/100620-handling-stress.html)

bahookie 08-15-2006 05:39 AM

Handling stress

Hi
Today I am under a huge amount of stress. I've got a hard thing to do this evening, and although I know almost surely that it will be ok, my body is rebelling.

My stomach feels as if it's full of bricks, on fire and being poked with an enormous knitting needle. I know this is stress, I know this is how it affects me.

What I don't know is how to ease it. If this hard thing was happening next week I'd feel like this for a week! It's not on!

What I'm really looking for is a way to put the stress in its place I think. (Which might be the 20 minute drive before the actual event!)

Any ideas?

J

Five 08-15-2006 05:57 AM

Bahookie. Avoid caffinee. Go GO FOR A LONG WALK. Seriously. A good one hour stride. That really helps me when its all getting to much.

Print of some SMART tools, investigate.

Type a post here and we can all offer advice.

Take care of yourself, take it slow, have faith in yourself.

Five 08-15-2006 05:58 AM

honestly, a good walk never lets me down.

Autumn 08-15-2006 06:12 AM

I'm with Five on the caffeine!

Go in knowing that you're doing this with the intention of reaping favorable results, and it may seem less daunting. And know too that asserting yourself is good exercise for the backbone. ;)

Good luck Bahookie.

bahookie 08-15-2006 07:43 AM

:)
I've walked the entire campus 3 times in the last hour and half, my last caffeine was at 11 and I do feel better!

Yeah, maybe I was thinking my backbone was a bit flabby!

I'm now going in search of someone who makes me laugh. That's a good one too.

Thanks for your replies, and the good advice.

Jane

Five 08-15-2006 07:44 AM

LoL.

Pleased its a bit brighter Bahook

bahookie 08-15-2006 08:13 AM

ps drinking water in the afternoon is strangely cold, thin and white.

It doesn't go that well with digestives either

Jane

shockozulu 08-15-2006 11:41 AM

I am in the same situation today. Walks, humor and then music on the way during the killer 20 minutes usually help me.

equus 08-15-2006 11:58 AM

Swimming!!! That's a number one stress buster for me - preferabley coupled with an hour long rambling chat/laugh with my best mate!! Oh and a feet first swimming race!

Five 08-16-2006 01:01 AM

Using ones mind, looking at evidence for beliefs like:

I cannot STAND IT. That usually helps. Make the belief fit the reality: this is uncomfortable, but I can stand it, and if I cannot, it really really is not the end of the world.

Moderate thinking: lower stress!

Hark at me blabbering on like Marha Jeshi or what ever that blokes name is.

bahookie 08-16-2006 01:06 AM

Music! I forgot about music (?!) until driving home. I've got some really joyful stuff I sing at the top of my voice to while driving.

As an update, the meeting went very well last night. I haven't got things the way I want them, but I know I'm doing the right thing.

One good thing about stress is the feeling when it washes away. If it's not too nasty - kind of like being dying for a pee and reaching a toilet (or handy bush lol) at last. Well, let's just say, last night I did ...like a horse lol.

This is a great board, it feels really useful.

J

bahookie 08-16-2006 01:11 AM

Five -
Moderate thinking. Good one. I tried this one last night in the ladies (sorry about the repeated toilet references) just before the confrontation. unfortunately all this concerns my kids and really, I can't override it.
"for goodness sake, you're a grown woman, get a grip" worked a bit.

J

Five 08-16-2006 01:22 AM

Hey Bahook, you may want to check out the CBT stuff on 'rational emotions' and 'irrational emotion'. Kind of ties in wiht what you said.

Nice that its moving along anyway.

bahookie 08-16-2006 02:13 AM

off searching, am touched that you're taking this effort with me.

thank you

J