SMART Recovery

Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

SMART Recovery

Am I the only one who used SMART? I found the combination of Al-Alon and SMART got me through through dealing with two addict family members
Old 02-14-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started therapy when my husband entered recovery. My therapist introduced me to CRAFT (community reinforcement and family training) through the book, Get Your Loved One Sober.... it was to help during early recovery and prepare me in the event of a relapse. As the program also covers self care and boundaries. . SMART utilizes the concepts of CRAFT in their family program. I never used SMART but I have spent some time studying their program (behavioral techniques) and I think it is similar to the various CBT approaches I used in therapy. I often recommend people look at SMART especially if they are interested in a therapeutic approach but cannot work with a therapist. I did explore alanon when my husband was in active addiction, but decided it just wasn't for me.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I use SMART. I double though, so SMART help recovery for me and recovery due family addict. I like logical. SMART logical...not conceptual for me. I find AA/NA/Alanon/Naranon conceptual, faith-based. Just not what work in brain. SMART give tools and direction.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by JustAYak View Post
I use SMART. I double though, so SMART help recovery for me and recovery due family addict. I like logical. SMART logical...not conceptual for me. I find AA/NA/Alanon/Naranon conceptual, faith-based. Just not what work in brain. SMART give tools and direction.
Double winner here as well. I used SMART both in my own recovery and in dealing with addicts in my life. Like you, I need and use those tools and directions