Notices

My 5 year sober journey .

Old 08-16-2022, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ant73

My 5 year sober journey .

Hi all , its been a long time since my last post on here and this October 2022 ,I'll be 5 years sober. Looking back on the posts I did , just makes me realise what a mess I was in . I was drinking every day excessively , suffering withdrawals , hallucinations and also audio hallucinations . I was admitted into hospital a week or so after my last post for a few days and was told my liver was in a bad way. I abstained from alcohol and I think it was 2 years later I had my liver checked again and the tests came back fine. I certainly don't miss drinking and more so , putting myself through that again. I also had agoraphobia due to drink and have been free of that , it took me a good few months after stopping to get over that , I'd say 6 month . I went from being housebound for years to now being able to get myself away to the countryside for breaks away . I think my last binge and the news from the doctors gave me a fright when they said if you keep this up , you won't last much longer.
I was given medication when I stopped which helped the withdrawals .
Life is totally different without drink and you realise you don't need it to enjoy yourself in life . I have had up and downs in the last 5 years but I've never picked a drink up since the day I stopped , I've learnt the answers are not in the bottom of a glass or can of beer . I just thought I'd share this with those that are struggling and how your life can turn around for the better. Take one day at a time and have something to aim for . I drank alcohol to try help me with agoraphobia , when I realised it was causing it. All the best to you on your recovery, stay positive and believe in yourself
Antonio
Old 08-16-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your upcoming 5 years Ant

D
Old 08-26-2022, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 08-26-2022, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ant! 👍👍👍👍👍! Proud of you!
Old 08-31-2022, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ant73 View Post
I also had agoraphobia due to drink and have been free of that , it took me a good few months after stopping to get over that , I'd say 6 month . I went from being housebound for years to now being able to get myself away to the countryside for breaks away
Thank you so much for this , this is the problem ( agoraphobia ) i have developed due to drinking and i am still in it , but i am only 21 days sober.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats!