SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular 12 Step Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-12-step-recovery/)
-   -   12 Steps without the meetings (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-12-step-recovery/431214-12-steps-without-meetings.html)

bmur1489 08-13-2018 11:29 AM

12 Steps without the meetings

I/m completely new to posting on forums and SR in general. I don't exactly understand what is off limits to post about, so if I am out of bounds please let me know. I was glad to see this topic seeing as this was the reason I joined SR to begin with. My issue is that I am really introverted, even without drugs. So, I have attended some NA meetings in the past and even had a sponsor for a short period of time. However, I never got to work on the 12 steps or progress into recovery. I want to work on the steps, but feel that until I have been clean for some time I will not feel like going to meetings and will definitely not push myself to get anything out of it. I will feel awkward and like I do not belong there. I know that over time it will be important to surround myself with others who are in recovery. My question is : Can I begin practicing the steps, with the help of this site and many other resources, without going to meetings? know a sponsor is important, but I feel that with the access of tons of information and sites like this, I can make a go of implementing the steps in my life. Thanks for the time everyone, it will be a great help to me.

bmur1489 08-13-2018 12:44 PM

I'm really sorry everyone. I am new and did not know what secular even meant. I should have researched it first before jumping to conclusions and posting something about a spiritual process in the 12 steps. I hope that it isn't a huge problem. Sorry.

gypsytears 08-13-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by bmur1489 (Post 6983436)
Can I begin practicing the steps, with the help of this site and many other resources, without going to meetings? know a sponsor is important, but I feel that with the access of tons of information and sites like this, I can make a go of implementing the steps in my life.

Hi and welcome :). Have you looked around the site much? SR is a great place for support and information. In my opinion you can start implementing the steps without physical meetings and/or a sponsor. You start with where you are and move forward from there. If you're not comfortable with physical meetings I know there are phone and online meetings if you're open to those.

bmur1489 08-13-2018 07:44 PM

Thank you so much for your advice. It is comforting to hear. I haven't been able to find much online about the idea of doing step work without going to meetings in person. But when I found this site it seemed like a good place to get advice and I'm glad I joined. Thank you again!

gypsytears 08-14-2018 06:53 AM

I can send you a private message with online meeting options. I'm just about to listen to one myself :). Let me know if you want me to do that. I don't think I can post links to other sites here? :herewego

fini 08-14-2018 08:30 AM

i believe that AA itself has online meetings listed on their sit, but am not positive.
maybe let us know after checking that out?

bmur1489 08-14-2018 10:43 AM

Ok thanks fini. And yea that would be awesome gypsytears.

gypsytears 08-14-2018 02:47 PM

Message sent :).

bmur1489 08-15-2018 11:19 AM

Thank you! Also,I noticed a quote by B.K.S. Iyengar. I have been interested in meditation and yoga for a couple of years now because I felt it could help me with my addiction problems. However, I don't really know where to begin to start a practice of my own, so I was curious to see if you have any advice on where I could start to learn and develop myself through yoga? I understand that it might be difficult to give advice about such issues, so if it will be too time-consuming or problematic for you then please don't worry about it. Thank you again for the advice and information you have already provided!

gypsytears 08-16-2018 05:23 AM

A simple mediation is to find a comfortable upright seated position, eyes softly closed and just begin to breathe. You could focus on the inhale as you are inhaling, and focus on the exhale as you are exhaling. Some people find counting the breaths helps to quiet the mind. Try this for one minute. Maybe 5. Anytime or attempt at quieting the mind is healing. I don't like to put stress on myself before even starting by saying I am going to sit and meditate for one full hour lol. Setting a timer is helpful. But as I said, starting with just a few minutes is best and working up to longer sessions.

As far as yoga, the physical practice...you start with where you are depending on your physical condition. There are so many types of yoga! If you look on youtube for beginner videos you will finds lots. I myself, am just starting to practice again after a long stretch (pun intended lol) of absence due to injuries. I myself am starting with a very gentle practice and very short so as not to aggravate my issues. I know better than to push myself in this case by trying to do what I could before. Even just a little is beneficial :).

bmur1489 08-16-2018 10:01 AM

Ok thank you so much. You have been really helpful to me.

awuh1 08-17-2018 12:22 PM

You may want to look into "refuge recovery" regarding a Buddhist approach to recovery bmur1489. You can locate meetings here --> https://refugerecovery.org/meetings. I think they also have some online meetings.

I think you can do a lot of 12 step work on your own, but I would strongly recommend that you seek out a sponsor for #5 and #9.

All the best to you.

bmur1489 08-18-2018 10:50 AM

Thank you so much for the advice awuh1. I have been struggling because I currently go to a methadone clinic and am detoxing out of there. I still have a month or 2 before I will be out of there . I want to start getting involved with something that will help me spiritually, like NA. But, I am very socially anxious and don't like being social at all. So, going to meetings is difficult for me. I do know that once I am clean I will feel a little more social, but in order to get to that point, I need help! So, I don't really know what to do. I really appreciate all of the advice that you guys have given me though and maybe one day I'll be at a place where I can come onto SR and give help rather than need it. Thanks again awuh1, I will look into what you have given me.

daredevil 08-18-2018 11:37 AM

bmur1489,

There is a lot of good information about NA literature and other stuff here.

You might find it useful.

NA Recovery - Narcotics Anonymous Chat and Online NA Meetings for Drug Addicts

IvanMike 08-18-2018 07:46 PM

When I first started going to meetings I saw they had a pamphlet called "the loner: staying clean in isolation"

I was elated ~ I wouldn't have to go to meetings and be around people!

Turns out the pamphlet was talking about if you were in a remote area where NA really had no presence & you were corresponding with a sponsor and addicts in another area.

These days I smile when an addict (or alcoholic) comes into the rooms and says that they are a loner, or they don't trust people, or that they have social anxiety, or that they find it hard to open up to other people. ~ We think that we are unique & different.

I've got news for you. ~ When you go to a meeting you're in a room full of people who have a difficult time with others & social situations. It takes time to feel like you fit in & belong, but I can tell you that the bonds that I have with some of the people there have become stronger than any others that I have had.

Wanting to wait until you are clean and feel a bit better to start going to meetings is a bit like wanting to wait to go to the gym until you have lost weight and put on some muscle. ~ Don't feel bad, I didn't like the idea either.

And yes, atheists can practice the steps just fine.

The reason I would say (in my experience) that you would do well to get guidance with the steps is that it takes someone who has been where you are and who has found a way out to guide you through the process.

gypsytears 08-19-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by awuh1 (Post 6987211)
You may want to look into "refuge recovery" regarding a Buddhist approach to recovery bmur1489. You can locate meetings here --> https://refugerecovery.org/meetings. I think they also have some online meetings.

I prefer Refuge Recovery myself. There's a meeting about 25 minutes from me so I don't go very often but enjoy it when I do.

bmur1489 08-20-2018 09:01 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it. I know that the step I should take to push me outside my comfort zone is usually the best, so I guess I already know what I should do. I am just not confident in myself because I, like everyone here probably, have had such a losing time with drugs. Every attempt I have made has failed so it's hard to think that I will do what's necessary anymore to get into recovery. But, I only have this one life to live so giving up is not an option. Again, I appreciate everything you all have given me. It is nice to see so many reach out with advice. Thanks.