SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular 12 Step Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-12-step-recovery/)
-   -   Unfortunately, can't go to the secular group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-12-step-recovery/418651-unfortunately-cant-go-secular-group.html)

scaredikklegoth 11-09-2017 08:34 AM

Unfortunately, can't go to the secular group

Because it is right by my workplace! I'm an atheist so will not be attending AA (local chapter is very bible heavy and that doesn't work for me) so I looked into the secular group and found out where it was. Turns out I'd walked past it a few times.

Now, I know how tough quitting drinking for good is; I have no delusions that this will be easy so I know I'm going to need further support so I'm going to go into 1-on-1 counselling. My excuse before was it was too expensive but now I'm not wasting money on booze and cigarettes I think I can manage it.

Wish me luck! ^_^

scaredikklegoth 11-09-2017 05:57 PM

Aha! There are online meetings! I'm going to attend those :)

MesaMan 11-10-2017 10:05 AM

Great to hear of your developing Plan!

My own on-line support was good ole SR here while learning/practicing AVRT/RR to focus the innate energy I/we have to cease ingesting Substances.

A recurring Theme here throughout SR is that the inner resolve to quit is thee key. Regardless of Recovery Method, that drive is one commonality in all those who sober up.

Keep us posted !

shockozulu 11-10-2017 11:35 AM

Online meetings, 12Steps, SMART Recovery and SR is what kept me sober all these years. I did whatever it took to keep clean and so I tried every tool available to me. Congrats on being open minded to alternatives like online AA meetings

scaredikklegoth 11-10-2017 04:08 PM

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, the online meetings don't work on mobile and my laptop recently died. But, a friend is hopefully going to look at it over the weekend and I am going to use my partner's laptop next time there is a meeting so I'll get on there soon enough :)

andyh 11-10-2017 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by scaredikklegoth (Post 6668472)
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, the online meetings don't work on mobile and my laptop recently died. But, a friend is hopefully going to look at it over the weekend and I am going to use my partner's laptop next time there is a meeting so I'll get on there soon enough :)

is that for SMART? if so, they recommend using the Puffin browser on mobile devices, which can be downloaded for a free trial of a few weeks.

scaredikklegoth 11-11-2017 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 6668495)
is that for SMART? if so, they recommend using the Puffin browser on mobile devices, which can be downloaded for a free trial of a few weeks.

Ooh, thanks Andy! I'll give that a go. I have a computer I can use for tomorrow's meeting so I shall report back :)

andyh 11-12-2017 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by scaredikklegoth (Post 6669632)
Ooh, thanks Andy! I'll give that a go. I have a computer I can use for tomorrow's meeting so I shall report back :)

I might see you there then - I normally do a couple of the online meetings a week :)

tomsteve 11-12-2017 04:29 AM

why is the meeting by your workplace a reason ya cant go?

Dropsie 01-11-2018 04:07 AM

You might want to check out the Hip Sobriety online course. I loved it.

Done4today 01-16-2018 11:22 PM

I might not understand what atheism is because I am confused why an atheist can't use AA as a program of recovery. Or you can't go to a meeting that they read out of a book called "the Bible". AA is a recovery program that doesn't have any deities attached to it. And if you use the Bible as literature then there is some good philosophical ideas in it. I am by no means religious but I have no idea if there is a god but I know this world/planet/solar system has powers much greater than me. AA and the term god gives many of us alcoholics another reason to not embrace a recovery program. I hope you find a program that works for you.

Maggie18 01-19-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by scaredikklegoth (Post 6667376)
Aha! There are online meetings! I'm going to attend those :)

Where are on line meetings. I'm New to site and been fumbling around.

anjalilnoronha 01-27-2018 05:50 AM

Sounds like a great plan to me. Counseling is the best. I love my counselor

DayTrader 01-28-2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Done4today (Post 6750357)
I might not understand what atheism is because I am confused why an atheist can't use AA as a program of recovery.

Of course, anyone with a desire to stop drinking is "allowed" to attend a closed AA meeting. The original post was more along the lines of they're not willing to go to AA.

Ken33xx 01-28-2018 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Done4today (Post 6750357)
I might not understand what atheism is because I am confused why an atheist can't use AA as a program of recovery. Or you can't go to a meeting that they read out of a book called "the Bible". AA is a recovery program that doesn't have any deities attached to it. And if you use the Bible as literature then there is some good philosophical ideas in it. I am by no means religious but I have no idea if there is a god but I know this world/planet/solar system has powers much greater than me. AA and the term god gives many of us alcoholics another reason to not embrace a recovery program. I hope you find a program that works for you.

True yet I do understand why some feel uncomfortable. I've spent time in various areas of the US going to meetings. Where I currently reside the Lords Prayer has closed every meeting and a roundabout mocking of those who do not believe in God is heard at times.

Which is the flip side where I was living before I heard organized religion particularly Christianity insulted at times.

Some members just can't keep their mouth shut and have to share their personal opinion about religion or politics during a meeting.

MindfulMan 04-09-2018 09:57 PM

12 Step is too much about God for me. It's all through the literature and language. I think that calling it a Higher Power is an attempt to package the concepts for the atheists and agnostics.

I find the To The Agnostic chapter in the BB condescending as all get-out.

When home visiting my mom in PA I went to some meetings where it was always the Lord's Prayer at close and it was assumed that everyone at the meeting was Christian.

It's not like that here in LA.

I love this guy named Spiritual Al, who's been in recovery for years and founded several agnostic meetings. Old timer, unfortunately not going to be with us much longer. He kept me in AA as long as I needed it.