Notices

Here's the thing about AA

Old 09-27-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here's the thing about AA

I've been trying to quit for good since 2008. I have quite the brutal functional alcoholic situation going on which i. s now ripping apart at my functional seams, so I'm at this again.

Outpatient rehab: $1800. awesome, supportive, non religious, met great people, and stayed sober for the whole seven weeks I could afford the Exorbitant cost. Out of money, out of sobriety.

Personal therapy: $450 per visit, mental health services not covered by insurance. Not happening anymore.

A.A: $0. Super Annoying sometimes. Hit and miss sometimes. Talks about God too much. But those steps make sense. Owning up. Making amends. Not forgetting the problem.

Can't afford not to dig in, try to find a home group and some people I can relate to in this lifelong journey I have no choice to engage in.

Friends helped by avrt, life ring or any other program: none

Friends still sober after years in aa: five. At least the ones who admitted to a horrendous problem.

no wallet gouging: my favorite part.

My point really: wish there was something else with the same track record I had personal social anecdotes to back up (because aa is, actually, mostly super annoying) but with the scope of my problem and my lack of riches, this is it.

Best of luck to you all, and hope the alternatives gain steam one day.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi stayingsassy

The secular connections forum is for discussing secular methods of recovery, so I've moved your thread to our 12 step secular forum.

Dee
for sec mods
Old 09-27-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you found something that works for you - thats the golden prize of recovery..

The great thing about recovery though is I, and everyone else, is free to find the way that works for them - and those ways need not always be the same

D
Old 09-27-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thing about statistics and track records is, they really don't mean anything to you as an individual. What you care about is, is it working for you, right? If the answer is yes, keep doing it! If the answer is no, then fortunately there are many alternatives, ranging from large and mainstream to small and strange, with different doses of spirituality, self-reliance, dogma and personality cult mixed in. They all work for some people, so even if each approach only captures 5-10% of the people who give it a try, they're different 5-10% groups, and they add up to a lot of people.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry dee. Anyway I only posted it because I have to find something so quickly and my brain is not thinking clearly so I'm trying to sort out why I'm making the decisions I am...

About it working, well nothing has worked yet
Old 09-27-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Curious as to what you think 'working/works' 'looks' like. Could be you are looking something that isn't there , or looks different from what you expect?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everyone who quit has "used" AVRT.

It is simply a name that has been given to the lesson plan and decision making guide that formalizes the method by which everyone quits and always has: a deep personal commitment to stop the whining, the excuses, the immaturity, begging for attention and all the other crap that lines the wide and fast superhighway that leads straight to the bottle.

The various "programs" can claim what they want. But in the end, no one can quit for anyone else. It is personal self-help and commitment to a mature adult life, no matter how many groups someone belongs to. Nothing else does the trick.

AVRT is merely the formalization of these ancient procedures into a simple lesson plan and decision making guide.

Some people hate it - they hate that it can be as religiously oriented as you want, or not at all. They hate that it doesn't tolerate tasty relapses - they are correctly called drinking sessions and grave offenses to one's own character.

But make no mistake - anyone who is securely and permanently abstinent has used the methods and techniques of AVRT, regardless of what they say.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Sorry dee. Anyway I only posted it because I have to find something so quickly and my brain is not thinking clearly so I'm trying to sort out why I'm making the decisions I am...

About it working, well nothing has worked yet
No worries stayingsassy

D