Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Secular 12 Step Recovery
Reload this Page >

"Eight Step Recovery: Using the Buddha’s Teachings to Overcome Addiction"

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys, been a while.

First of all my apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. The 12 steps are an influence upon this Eight Step Recovery Buddhist program, which is an attempt to align the 12 steps with the Eightfold path, so thought this a better place than the alternative secular section.

I am wondering whether anyone has any experience of this? I have been attending meditation classes at the Triratna Buddhist Order in the UK, they are also influential in the United States. I have been very much interested in using Buddhist teachings in my 12 step program ever since getting into recovery 7 years ago, I posted back then about my 'God' issues way back then, this however is now resolved and my God of my understanding is purely a spiritual path and journey that I can choose to get on or off at any point.

I found mediation helps, whereas prayer maybe doesn't due to my own understanding of God.

I have today been invited onto a course with the Triratna community that starts in November as people are aware that I work a 12 step program. I'm very much looking forward to it, I think it's once per week for 6 or 8 weeks and they are planning on making a regular thing. They talk about recovery based upon the books in the following link, I think the meetings are influenced by AA/NA meetings
Dharma Drunks | Tricycle

Has anyone who is familiar with the Triratna Buddhist Community had any experience of this? It looks a relatively new approach.

Paul
Old 09-13-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

heya!

I used to attend the Triratna meditation classes at the London Buddhist Center (I've since left the UK). I've also been reading the 8 Step Recovery book and am doing the guided meditations they have online.

For me it's been great, since getting more involved in Buddhism is helping me a lot to work through my anxiety and stress issues (both mindfulness of breathing and mettabhavana have been extremely helpful here) which are a big trigger for my drinking.

The 8 Steps book has helped me quite a lot to understand some of the reasons why I'm drinking, how I'm just perpetuating the suffering by trying to make it stop and how I can go about quitting.

Goodbye, never-ending cycle of drinking -->heedlessness --> anxiety/guilt --> drinking... hello, 5 precepts.

I'd definitely attend the course if there was one closeby.

I hope this helps and would be great to hear how it goes (if you'll be attending).

Metta,
Leeloo

PS: in case you don't have it already, here's the link to some more information on the 8 Steps and the guided meditations

https://thebuddhistcentre.com/eightsteps?display=latest
Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Leeloo

That's fantastic and thank you for the link, I'll take a look. It is in Birmingham that I attend, it looks interesting and definitely something I'd like to pursue more of.

I'll keep this thread updated once I start.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you - I have no experience but curious what your experience is with this. Keep us posted! Nice work!