Notices

Some secular prayers?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Brad, we must be posting at the same time.

Thank you)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Brad, thanks for your suggestion. One of my favorite Beethoven pieces & its musical interpretations is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKFV2qhZEw

Where I live currently, there is a brilliant musician/singer as next building neighbor. Never met him and no idea who he might be, but based on the noises and "life" accessible to me to hear, he must be a celebrity musician and figure. You know, in NYC sometimes we are packed... He practices everyday - plays the piano and sings. They also often have loud parties. Often I think his proximity is a pain because I'm very sensitive to noises and am really not in the mood for listening to other people's stuff (really really not into it most of the time!). But I've found a solution when needed: turn on the fan, and also have a white noise machine.

But no matter how it bothers me at times, I tend to forgive this guy's eccentricity, because I love his music...
(Also reminds me of how I've gotten away with many eccentricities myself in my life, but that's a different story.)
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Brad, we must be posting at the same time.

Thank you)
Lol, yes. You may have noted that my better angels prevailed over my second post....

Haennie, thanks so much for posting the pathetique. I learned that about the same time I was listening to The Head on the Door - the opening section of that sonata (banged out VERY loudly) helped to diffuse an awful lot of teenage angst...

I have recently been spending much time at the piano, going over old music (funny how much better I play sober...). Thanks for giving me my assignment for the evening! Music (listening and, especially, playing) has always been my best therapy.

On another note, when I lived in NYC I must have had very boring neighbors - never heard a peep. Enjoy the music!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all)

Haennie - quite a neighbor you have) I'd like to give you a special thanks for a tip about Litany against fear. It's short, so it does't require a long time to know it by heart. Today I was bringing my car to mechanics, and while waiting at traffic lights was saying the Litany. Every time my mind started its usual "worry what-if" business" I said the Litany. And it helped because it makes sense to me. When I was back home I closed my eyes and while saying this imagined fear leaving its path which is none.

Alpha - I downloaded Kelly Howell meditation and going to give it a try today.

Brad - I'd like to thank to your better angels) I appreciate this. I am quite aware of "creation-creator" concept, and other religious concepts. But for me they are just that - concepts, and even dogmas. I don't believe in it, so it doesn't appeal neither to my rational mind, no to my "irrational" Self.

Enjoy the music!

I realize it's essential for me to learn to stay in the "now" because otherwise panicking worries drive me crazy.

And I am still working on my own prayer (or whatever to call it).

Thank you all. See you)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The last sponsor that I had wanted me to tell him that I would pray when I am by myself. I had said I was willing to pray in front of him as part of step 3.

I had told him that I was looking into prayer that is directed at reality. But, he said that the prayer needs to be asking for help. Since I couldn't honestly say that I would do that by myself, I told him that I couldn't continue with the steps with him.

Do you think that the prayer needs to be asking for help?

I can imagine a personification of the part of me that knows the right thing to do often. But, I'm afraid I will start attributing qualities to it that are inappropriate.

For now, I think I would not use prayer that asks for help.

Thanks for the site where you can search for prayers.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have this on my Desk and find a huge comfort in it! I will include a short version:

"Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation - some fact of my life unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment........Unless I accept life completely on life's terms I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes."

This Prayer helps me have an Attitude of Gratitude. I much prefer this as opposed to anger and resentment on any given day. Hope this helps....