Notices

Newcomer

Old 12-30-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hi!

I'm a new user on here with almost 2 months of sobriety under my belt. I've attended a few AA meetings, but find it hard to embrace the program absolutely as I consider my addictions (I have no problem referring to myself as an addict) not necessarily up to the standard of severity I've come across. Despite verbal denial of this from those I speak to about this in AA, their eyes and body language tell a different story.

I want to adopt a program as I know my sobriety is useless without one - I don't believed I will one day be "cured," and I'm happy to live a life considered in "recovery."

My question is, how do those of you who use AA in conjunction with something like SMART or AVRT-based programs employ such practices together? Any suggestions?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, PBateman
Welcome to SR.
I went to AA early in sobriety and it helped me a lot.
I found a meeting I liked and met some very caring and supportive people.
End of the day, it wasn’t the recovery program for me.
I don’t have experience with other programs, though there are many posters who do, and should weigh in soon.
This Secular 12 step forum can be a quiet one, so you may not get responses right away.
I read everything I can get my hands on about addiction and alcohol, listen to recovery podcasts like Since Right Now, and post to this site often.
SR is a supportive virtual community with a lot of wisdom and experience.
Just wanted to welcome you.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My attitude was, take what I can use and leave the rest for the next person. You get to decide what works and doesn't work, and if that's not exactly following any particular program or non-program, that's perfectly fine as long you stay sober and content. You can use tools from SMART, say, but attend AA meetings for the camaraderie and social aspects. Or read up on AVRT from RR, but attend Lifering meetings. You might get a few folks looking down their noses at you for not "following the program" (or for using one at all), but it's your life and your sobriety, no one else's.

I think you'll find that taking bits from here and there, and having the strength to weather those eyes and body language that don't really matter anyways, gets easier over time, I certainly found that.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome PBateman,

I use AA as my main recovery. But I take a pragmatic approach. The big book was written 80 years ago. Things have advanced but it's great to see that Bill W did his research. I am grateful for what AA has to offer and during the steps I had my spiritual experience. I have a HP and know there is something there to keep me on track. I do read other programs and apply what they have to offer. And the more I learn about all these different programs, the more I see the commonalities in them. I stick with AA because it worked for me and is available almost everywhere.

As for their eyes and body language, the best quote I've heard in the rooms of AA. "What other people think about me is none of my business." When I start worrying about what others think, I just remember that quote. I go to AA for me to stay sober, not to gain acceptance from others there. I use those uncomfortable feeling situations to learn that I am still working on myself. I want to be so comfortable with myself that I can be comfortable in any situation anywhere.

Good luck
Old 12-31-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies! It's great to hear from people with different perspectives to note going forward. I appreciate it greatly.