Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Secular 12 Step Recovery
Reload this Page >

looking for atheist/agnostic meetings in or near Portland,OR

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am not sure where else to look. I've just started going to A.A. meetings and while I love the community and having the steps to focus on in this first precarious 30 days of sobriety, I am getting a little irritated by all the praying and god talk. No one has actually come out and said that I won't stay sober without god but it's constantly implied. I'd love to go to at least one meeting a week where I wouldn't have to keep reinterpreting everything and defending my belief system. If anyone knows of any atheist/agnostic A.A. meetings in or near Portland I love to hear about it. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Kelsheik

The G*d talk can get a bit thick at the some meetings near me. The believers are going to do what they do (G*d talk) and I'm going to keep letting it go through one ear and right out the other. I find it helpful to concentrate on what is helpful in AA and blow-off the rest.

As for an AA "We Agnostics" or "Freethinker" meetings in OR, I know of none. The below links will give you some useful direction on being an atheist/agnostic in AA.

Agnostic/Atheist AA
Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'll check those out.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Worldwide Agnostic A.A. Meetings

rebellion dogs publishing - Rebel Links

Try these, there are more links in them!

Best wishes on finding what you are seeking! You might also want to do your own search to find online meetings as Oregon doesn't seem to have what you are looking for, yet!

Hugs & love,
Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement. They have an agnostic meeting in Boise, Idaho but none anywhere near Portland! I started making grand plans to start one but my sponcor gently reminded me that I had yet to get that 30 day coin and was maybe getting a little ahead of myself. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

No time like the present. I'd start that meeting, there must be others willing to help you out!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first link listed two AA/atheist meetings in Olympia Washington... a couple of hours drive from PDX.