Notices

Online agnostics meeting?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Online agnostics meeting?

Well, I've googled until it's all a blur, then realized maybe I should ask you all here...does anybody know of an online AA Agnostics meeting?

I can find lots of f2f meetings listed (of course, none of those are within 100 miles of The Boonies where I reside) but not a one online.

I guess my other option is to try to start one, but obviously I'd rather hook up someplace where somebody has done all the work already.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I haven't heard of any AA agnostic online meetings. But I'll look around on the web too.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found an weekly email AA freethinkers meeting: Join AA Freethinkers
Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, Zencat, I found the Freethinkers email group, too...but still no online Agnostic meetings....glad to have help in the hunt, though.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile Hi !!

Hi Everyone!!
I am new to this! I just got out of a rehab in Florida and I am back home in CT. I just got my 30 day coin!! (yay me! ) I am looking for an Agnostic AA meeting. On-line would be awesome!! Idon't know of anyone around me who is Agnostic and I'm not sure of how this will be accepted....and I reallly don't care because this is who I am. I am so relieved to find that there are others out there!! I thought I would have to go it alone. I couldn't sit through one more AA meeting or read one more page in the Blue Book telling me to surrender to God. Uuuuugh!! I know that this isn't the topic of this particular thread, but I was hoping someone could help me out. I am new to all of this and I am so lost!!
Thanx!!
Britta
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Houdini56
What is Freethinkers? Is it anything like Agnostics?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Human

Hi Britta,

Most people that I know in AA today don't take the Steps or the Big Book literally. It was written in 1939.

"Surrender to god" can mean for you to accept the reality of life and move forward.

I am an atheist that goes to a lot of AA meetings, where I don't care what other people may believe, and I listen to the stories and issues.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Britta, welcome over to the secular side of SoberRecovery. Congrats on your 30 days!

Freethinkers is kinda agnostic if not the same from what I know. No God or supernatural HP beliefs...that sort of thing.

I Have recently done the 12 steps of AA as a non-theist (its something like being a non-believer). I have a few understandings of a HP that allowed me to move through the steps without conflicting with my world view. Yet these HP's have a secular spiritual significance to me. Like the AA group (GOD: Group Of Drunks) is one HP to me. Collectively they instill the wisdom of what and what not to do in recovery.
make A.A. itself your higher power. Heres a very large group of people who have solved their alcohol problem
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, pp. 27-28
Another HP is my Higher Potential. I relate that to the concept known in Buddhisms as my original mind. And one more HP is Good. That would be making a conscious contact with the highest good I am capable of striving for.
We took A.A.'s Twelve Steps over to the largest Buddhist monastery in this province. We showed them to the *priest at the head of it. After he had finished looking over the Twelve Steps, the monk said, "Why, these are fine! Since we as Buddhists don't understand God just as you do, it might be slightly more acceptable if you inserted the word 'good' in your Steps instead of 'God.' Nevertheless, you say in these Steps that it is God as you understand Him. That clears up the point for us. Yes, A.A.'s Twelve Steps will certainly be accepted by the Buddhists around here."
Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, William G. Wilson, page 81.

(LOL a Buddhist *priest, make that a Buddhist Monk or Noble One )

As a secular person I can relate to much in the BB of AA. However being a non-theist means that there somethings in the BB that escape the realm of meaning for me. That's because the BB authors understanding of God and their path to that connection is different than mine. And that is okay. I do not have the same HP as anybody else in AA...I can have my own understanding.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Zencat

I don't see my reply here, so I'm gonna try to recall what I wrote. If it is here, my bad. First of all, I love your GOD acronym!!! When I was in rehab, a speaker referred to GOD as Good Orderly Direction. I like that one too, but yours makes me laugh!!! Thanx. I really appreciate all of your kindness and feedback! It means so much to me. I know that some people (who are non believers) can attend AA meetings and get something from it. I am not one of those people. I had a horrible religion (if that's what you call it) shoved down my throat (litterally) growing up. I went to AA meetings to learn about sobriety not to be preached to. I cannot simply just get life stories and lessons from them. That is why I am glad I found this site. Everyone is so accepting of eachother. I am NOT used to that. My story usually scares people away.
Britta H
Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yeah if anybody has heard of any online agnostic meetings it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi I have had no luck finding online secular meetings but have been pleasantly surprised to find agnostic/atheist AA/NA groups in my city...perhaps b/c I live in a huge city? I'm not sure but I'm pleased
-Jess
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not online, but this link may help:

Worldwide Agnostic A.A. Meetings
Old 11-02-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Zencat:
I agree with what you have said about how AA, broadly interpreted and not necessarily confined to a dogmatic adherence to the literal language of the original Big Book, may be reconciled and quite consistent with the teachings of Buddhism as well as other quasi religious or secular sources of wisdom from many different traditions. This makes the insights of AA available to a wide variety of recovering alcoholics, some of whom may have been discouraged by interpretations which seek to confine recovery to the worship of a Christian God. Alcoholism in its onslaughts is indifferent to Christians or non Christians. Why should recovery from its effects be similarly restricted? Why should wisdom be exclusive to those having a Christian faith?

W.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is beyond my scheduling capacity at this time to spearhead the followin idea but if anyone here would start such a meeting, I would gratefully participate.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, since there is no online free thinking aa meeting, maybe this thread will be helpful to someone. I just joined this site. I think I'll look around on the forums to find more info on this subject. Thank you everyone for posting.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MarthaL

The secular sections of SR has plenty of information on addiction, recovery and beyond. And the rest of SR ain't to bad either.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Keep coming back Britta

Originally Posted by Britta View Post
Hi Everyone!!
I am new to this! I just got out of a rehab in Florida and I am back home in CT. I just got my 30 day coin!! (yay me! ) I am looking for an Agnostic AA meeting. On-line would be awesome!! Idon't know of anyone around me who is Agnostic and I'm not sure of how this will be accepted....and I reallly don't care because this is who I am. I am so relieved to find that there are others out there!! I thought I would have to go it alone. I couldn't sit through one more AA meeting or read one more page in the Blue Book telling me to surrender to God. Uuuuugh!! I know that this isn't the topic of this particular thread, but I was hoping someone could help me out. I am new to all of this and I am so lost!!
Thanx!!
Britta
You are special and deserve to treat yourself as such, trust me when I say life gets different and buckle up because your in for the ride of your life, your life. Believe what you want each day but find that sacred place inside of you that knows not to use no matter what. I'm here to be of service in love, be you, love you. Peace and love my friend, you are not alone
B in Florida
Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Agnostic AA meeting online

Yes, there's an agnostic AA video meeting on Tuesday nights at 9PM EST at www intherooms.com. It's called Our Mostly Agnostic Group of Drunks. Search the video meetings for Agnostic AA or go to www omagod.org for info.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Hi Britta, welcome over to the secular side of SoberRecovery. Congrats on your 30 days!

Freethinkers is kinda agnostic if not the same from what I know. No God or supernatural HP beliefs...that sort of thing.

I Have recently done the 12 steps of AA as a non-theist (its something like being a non-believer). I have a few understandings of a HP that allowed me to move through the steps without conflicting with my world view. Yet these HP's have a secular spiritual significance to me. Like the AA group (GOD: Group Of Drunks) is one HP to me. Collectively they instill the wisdom of what and what not to do in recovery.
make A.A. itself your higher power. Heres a very large group of people who have solved their alcohol problem
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, pp. 27-28
Another HP is my Higher Potential. I relate that to the concept known in Buddhisms as my original mind. And one more HP is Good. That would be making a conscious contact with the highest good I am capable of striving for.
We took A.A.'s Twelve Steps over to the largest Buddhist monastery in this province. We showed them to the *priest at the head of it. After he had finished looking over the Twelve Steps, the monk said, "Why, these are fine! Since we as Buddhists don't understand God just as you do, it might be slightly more acceptable if you inserted the word 'good' in your Steps instead of 'God.' Nevertheless, you say in these Steps that it is God as you understand Him. That clears up the point for us. Yes, A.A.'s Twelve Steps will certainly be accepted by the Buddhists around here."
Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, William G. Wilson, page 81.

(LOL a Buddhist *priest, make that a Buddhist Monk or Noble One )

As a secular person I can relate to much in the BB of AA. However being a non-theist means that there somethings in the BB that escape the realm of meaning for me. That's because the BB authors understanding of God and their path to that connection is different than mine. And that is okay. I do not have the same HP as anybody else in AA...I can have my own understanding.
I know it's old but this post has really helped me thank you Zencat