Notices

12 step journal

Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 step journal

I just ran across this and it spoke to me, thought I'd share. I hope this is the right place for this.

The Twelve Step Journal
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup the right place!

These are the 12 steps as outlined in the book The Twelve Step Journal, by Claudette Wassil-Grimm, M.Ed..

1 We admitted we were powerless over our addiction/compulsion - that our lives had become unmanageable.
2 We came to believe that, like all human beings, our power was limited and we needed to learn to let go and learn from others.
3 We made a decision to let go of control, assume a spirit of goodwill, seek the wisdom of responsible others, and discover our true "voice within".
4 We made a searching and fearless inventory of our strengths and weaknesses.
5 We admitted to our journal, ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6 Were entirely ready to listen to wise counsel and seek that still small voice within to guide us to change our behaviors which have been harmful to ourselves and others.
7 Humbly began the process of deep change so we could overcome our weakness.
8 Made a list of all persons we have harmed, became willing to make amends to them all, and to forgive those against whom we have held grudges.
9 We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so whould injure them or others.
10 Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
11 Through meditation and journaling we continually seek to clarify and improve our own judgment and to consider the best direction and purpose our lives can take.
12 Having developed deeper wisdom and an appreciation of the spiritual as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
On an intellectual level I like these, but I remain one of these people who feels that rewriting the 12 steps is an almost disrespectful activity. They're the principles that bond us to each other, and by NOT rewriting them to suit myself I in effect commit myself to make common ground with all the other people who use the steps in their own personal way. Rewriting them feels like just ... separation again.

That said, the author's interpretations of steps 2, 3 and 6 resonate with me.

Sorry, waffling. Thanks dimples, there's a lot of interesting information and resources at this site!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
On an intellectual level I like these, but I remain one of these people who feels that rewriting the 12 steps is an almost disrespectful activity.
I tend to agree, although not for the disrespectful reason. I think there is tremendous spiritual benefit in conforming myself to what is, instead of trying to change what is to suit me better.

If I'm unwilling to even accept the basic outline of a program of recovery as it's written, then I've kind of missed the point. All my life I tried to change the world to fit what I wanted. Recovery means I don't have to that anymore.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is fascinating because we are coming from opposite sides and yet we are on the same path and working towards the same goal! While I've chosen to follow the original 12-steps, i have tweaked them along the way and they are now somewhat similar to the 12-step journal.

For me, it's precisely in trying to conform to things (as they appear) all my life is what created the sense of separation (and pulled me deeper into my DOC). It's with my recovery journey that I've come to understand that I can choose to create a life that works for me; slightly tweaking the steps (while retaining their basic essence) is how I use them in my own personal way. It actually helps me not feel separate anymore. To quote Paul: "I in effect commit myself to make common ground with all the other people who use the steps in their own personal way."

Your comments help me understand that in fact, the journey is a very intimate and personal one, unique to each individual based on his/her life experiences, but despite that uniqueness, we can have still shared commonalities and goals and more importantly, learn from each other! Good life lesson. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by evmdimples View Post
This is fascinating because we are coming from opposite sides and yet we are on the same path and working towards the same goal! While I've chosen to follow the original 12-steps, i have tweaked them along the way and they are now somewhat similar to the 12-step journal.

For me, it's precisely in trying to conform to things (as they appear) all my life is what created the sense of separation (and pulled me deeper into my DOC). It's with my recovery journey that I've come to understand that I can choose to create a life that works for me; slightly tweaking the steps (while retaining their basic essence) is how I use them in my own personal way. It actually helps me not feel separate anymore. To quote Paul: "I in effect commit myself to make common ground with all the other people who use the steps in their own personal way."

Your comments help me understand that in fact, the journey is a very intimate and personal one, unique to each individual based on his/her life experiences, but despite that uniqueness, we can have still shared commonalities and goals and more importantly, learn from each other! Good life lesson. Thanks!
just a ditto...expressed much better than i could the literature talks about how we are no longer square pegs trying to fit in round holes...i stoped cutting peices of me off to fit the hole and realized there are plently of places for square pegs in the program it isn't about doggedly tyring to hold on to "my way" and more about allowing myself to have a valid and authentic expereince of the steps without being tied down to the form so much i don't expreence the essence.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

just a ditto...expressed much better than i could the literature talks about how we are no longer square pegs trying to fit in round holes...i stoped cutting peices of me off to fit the hole and realized there are plently of places for square pegs in the program it isn't about doggedly tyring to hold on to "my way" and more about allowing myself to have a valid and authentic expereince of the steps without being tied down to the form so much i don't expreence the essence.
It's just great to read about hope and insight and optimism from people in recovery, many thanks both of you you've made my day! When we remember what it was like - and now, in spite of the many obstacles we face, we're going forward with some belief that there can be a better life - "a valid and authentic experience" can be had.