Notices

Can it be this simple? God, as I understand him.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pagekeeper
For me, at this moment, God is not a word but God is an experience. God is not a noun, but God is a verb.
That sort of sums it up for me, God for me is an unknown spiritual journey, rather than an entity.

Paul
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
problem with authority

This is me.

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
I felt the same way. But after some reflection, I came to the conclusion that I could always make that leap when it came to alcohol. I always needed a drink to "fix me" --fix my broken heart, social phobia, fix my boredom, insecurities, fix my attitude, inhibitions, depression, tension--hell, I'd been using booze to "fix me" since I was 13 years old.

Not to mention that I thought marriage could "fix" my drinking problem, or moving could "fix" my drinking problem, or switching brands or not going to bars or only drinking in bars or on special occasions or waiting until after dinner or only mixing vodka with Diet Coke. For crying out loud, all I did was look outside of myself for something to fix me, fix my drinking problem, and fix everything else wrong with my life.

Needless to say, one of my favorite sentences in the Big Book is:

For the first time in my life, I don't have to look outside myself.

What a relief.

All Big Book quotes are from first edition
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I highly recommend Sandy B. and Bob B.'s 4-part recording entitled "There is a Solution" (2004) I think it's available on XA. Amazing stuff on this topic.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if AA is going to be the right path for me (I've only been to one meeting), but I'm keeping an open mind. For now, I'm thinking of my HP as being my frontal lobes -- the part of the brain used for judgement, impulse control, planning, etc.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

First off OldManJudo and soontobehomeles to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by soontobe
Still I believe the concept of a god has been helpful to both Man and Mankind; I had even become jealous of those who could yield thier future to such a concept, especially if the result was sobreity. Still I had to find some "As I understand him" that would work for me.
I'm actual perplexed about that concept...of all the concepts there are...and there are many can bring different meaning regarding ones relation to such a concept..any kind of conclusion especially regarding sobriety. Puzzling
Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
For the first time in my life, I don't have to look outside myself.

What a relief.
Love that quote. That best describes what the program has done for me. I can now try to live life on life’s terms, rather than try to impose my terms on life.

I keep it simple by not allowing my ego to argue with the first part of "there is two things you need to know about God:
1: He exists,
2: It ain't you".

IMHO the 2nd bit is what all alcoholics and addicts need to hear. I didn't hear it for a long time because the combination of my atheism and my ego meant that I was already in full rant by that time...

Personally I believe the spiritual part of the disease leaves us feeling a void within innermost selves. The 'God shaped hole' of Pascal and Sartre, which I think of as 'the hole in the soul' because I believe it is our culture that makes that hole appear to be 'God shaped'.

Just took a break from writing this post to re-read The Chapter to the Agnostic. Doesn’t **** me off half as much as it used to. Could be tolerance creeping in…

Just Bill W’s way of arguing his case from his perspective in his day, like Dawkins does in “The God Delusion” these days. Funny how they both seem to think ultimately every reasonable, open minded person will come to see things their way…

Fighting Irish’s quote reminds me of the Cat Stevens song “On the road to find out” which inspires me to this day.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Love them anyway...

Wow thanks so much to all who contributed to this thread....very enlightening for me..
Old 08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by meditation View Post
I believe in God but I also don't believe I am powerless either....
I am the poster that started this thread. Today is 102 for me; last weekend I received my three month medallion. I"ve now been to more that 90 meetings.

This is my second post, though read here at soberrecovery nearly every day.

I have come to believe that I, too, am not powerless over alcohol...UNLESS I DRINK IT!!!!

That simple revelation has allowed me to reconcile all my own control and responsibility issues with step ONE.

As for God= future; I have thought back about all the times that I behaved in such a way as to defy and even defile my future. Doing "Gods will" is now simply doing the best I can to make it a better place for me/us to live in, tomorrow.

In the absence of a clear "best decision" today I simply try to make sure the future won't be worse for what I do.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by soontobehomeles
Today is 102 for me
Congrats! On your sober time

Originally Posted by soontobehomeles
I have come to believe that I, too, am not powerless over alcohol...UNLESS I DRINK IT!!!!
I'm of the same mind. I see...for myself...that when I stop treating my addiction...as I have in the past, even though I may be abstaining, the thoughts about drinking or drugging can turn into using again. Its a process and not powerlessness. A complex process at that, but one that can be countered effectively with active addiction treatment. Then to pick up that first drug or drink I give back into the power of addiction. And a return to addiction treatment I am empowered again. So I guess I could say addiction and addiction treatment is a power play, depending what side I'm on...I can chose to be active with one or the other.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i have no doubt i'm not god....that part is easy lol