Notices

Feeling as if i'm growing out of AA

Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Keep an open mind DK...not so much that your brains fall out...lol...you know what I mean! Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
And will power is not an issue for me Eroica. I'm not an AAer but I have finally and fully surrended () and accepted that I'm an alcoholic.
I accepted that I was an alcoholic 10 years ago. I was just on the fence about which side was more painful for me to live on. I feel that I am finally off of that fence in regards to alcohol. To be completely honest though, I'm not sure I'm totally there with weed...
Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

The problem with an open mind is that someone always comes along wanting to fill it.

I know what you mean with the weed DK I was a daily smoker for 15 years before I stopped 10 years ago, (I had it very occasionaly after about 5 years off it totally and I could take it or leave it) it was very tough to quit.
It is not as destructive as alcohol but it is very insidious, I liked everything about, the taste, smell etc. Now I can take it or leave it so I choose to leave it, lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
Keep an open mind DK...not so much that your brains fall out...lol...you know what I mean! Let us know how it goes!
Of course!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I liked everything about, the taste, smell etc. Now I can take it or leave it so I choose to leave it, lol.
Me too! Right now, I'm choosing to leave it. I think this is the longest I've not smoked pot since I was 15...
Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Resident

I think Self Seeking's point was that many of us loved drinking but inevitably grew to hate it, Fubar, but then we found we couldn't stop anyway. That was certainly my experience. It's the progression of the disease, as I saw it anyway.

D
My apologies to you self seeking. I might be a tad sensitive today.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've often had my 'Naughty Voice' tell me that weed wouldn't hurt...not as 'bad', less after effects...but, as I said to someone yesterday - it's the same sea of ****, just a different leaky boat....

I don't need to avoid reality anymore

LOL how off topic are we? ANYONE GOT A COMPASS?

D
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I think Self Seeking's point was that many of us loved drinking but inevitably grew to hate it, Fubar, but then we found we couldn't stop anyway. That was certainly my experience. It's the progression of the disease, as I saw it anyway.

And will power is not an issue for me Eroica. I'm not an AAer but I have finally and fully surrended () and accepted that I'm an alcoholic.

I know the results of a drink, beyond doubt.

Only an insane person would willingly put themselves through that - and I am not insane (well no more than anyone else here )

D
Good for you! That should make things easier for you if you no longer desire a drink. But for those that do at any point, then at that moment they ignore their craving, they're using their will power to overcome it. They can call it whatever else they want-God, AA, "tools", but if it took effort, then it took will power to overcome the craving-since will power is defined as doing something we don't "want" to do.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I've often had my 'Naughty Voice' tell me that weed wouldn't hurt...not as 'bad', less after effects...but, as I said to someone yesterday - it's the same sea of ****, just a different leaky boat....
For me, it is a case of I didn't get sober to sit around smoking dope all day like a loser, lol.

I will just sit on the computer all day like a loser instead.

I really prefer being straight, in order to move forward in any way in my life I need to be straight.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you! That should make things easier for you if you no longer desire a drink. But for those that do at any point, then at that moment they ignore their craving, they're using their will power to overcome it. They can call it whatever else they want-God, AA, "tools", but if it took effort, then it took will power to overcome the craving-since will power is defined as doing something we don't "want" to do.
I never said I don't desire a drink from time to time

I'm not putting myself forward as any kind of example either -
for me, I've simply drunk enough to know the consequences.

To drink would be insane.

But I have the choice to be insane if I wish, sure, yeah.
I'm not sure I personally agree that's will power, but does it really matter?

D
Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

lol, fubar, just now checking back in... been sleeping like a baby all day recovering from my night shift. Not offended. Dee clarified for me and that was indeed what I was referring to. Sorry if I got preachy.
I feel really lucky that I jump through those mental gymnastics and figure out a way that makes AA jive with my (atheistic) worldview. Cause things have gotten soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better since I joined it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

To drink would be insane.
To drink would be a very poor decision, to drink because your goldfish told you to would be insane...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

pay me when you see me K

D

ps I don't talk to goldfish DK - the toaster told me not to
Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
I look at choice a bit differently, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I believe I can stay sober on willpower alone. Where my willpower fails me is after I pick up a drink. No amount of willpower can stop me then because I have a physical reaction to alcohol that is abnormal, and willpower is of no help once the chemical is in my body and effecting my brain.

So, for me, my choice resides in picking up the first drink, but I lose the choice to stop drinking once I have started. Therefore willpower alone can keep me sober, but willpower cannot help me drink normally or help me to moderate my drinking.
Forgive me for jumping in here late, but I just started reading through this thread. I had to stop and reply when I hit this post.

This is, 100% without a doubt, how I feel. I just had to say that.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
This time I choose to not drink again ever because I am getting a lot older and a little wiser.

If I go one day at a time I have to make a choice everyday and I know that one of those days I would likely make the wrong choice but now I don't have to make a choice at all again because it is preselected in my psyche.
This is also the stance I am taking. Fubar, you said it almost precisely like Jack Trimpey says it in Rational Recovery. While I definitely understand the "one day at a time" logic, and I used it for a while - and it helped - I reached the point where I felt like I was fooling myself thinking that way. It felt like I was giving myself false hope that one day I'd be able to drink normally again. Not TODAY, but maybe tomorrow? We'd just have to wait until tomorrow to find out, and then do it all over again.

Trimpey says why bother with all that? The point of quitting is to quit and stay quit, right? So quit. And stay quit. Don't fool yourself into thinking you're not drinking "just for today", because then all you get to do is have the fight with yourself about whether or not to pick up again tomorrow. Just make up your mind that you can't and won't drink ever again. And then just don't do it.

I agree, that won't work for everyone. But once I wrapped my mind around it, I felt an odd sense of peace and closure. I agree with Trimpey - it's nice not to have to wonder every day if today is the day I will drink again. I simply will not.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I agree with you TSH...I too felt more at peace when knew that this was a non-negotiable choice.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I've just decided that from now on the Lucky Charms Leprechaun will be my higher power. Forever. Stars, moons, diamonds, clovers....
Old 02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Resident

Rational recovery. That guy sounds like a smart guy. Maybe I will read that book although I haven't read a whole book since high school. Catcher in the Rye. I had to read it in one day since I didn't start until one day before the exam.
Did some meth and stayed up all night and aced the exam but the next day I remembered none of it. Not even reading the book. Go figure.

I guessed you all gathered I am not much of a reader.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

RIP Lux Interior - frontman for The Cramps. dayyum
Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
RIP Lux Interior - frontman for The Cramps. dayyum
Oh no!