Acute Myopathy - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2019, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Acute Myopathy

Hi guys. Hopefully someone can relate and advise on this one!

Last month I went on a binge with a mate and was very drunk. I barely remember getting home. This is very unlike me, as I'm pretty much tee-total, I don't even drink the odd beer at home.

The day after, I had an extremely worrying symptom in that my thighs were extremely weak, to the point where I could hardly walk in a straight line and going upstairs was very difficult. I went to A&E and they did a few basic strength tests and although my legs felt extremely weak, I could still push hard if that makes sense. It was almost just like a sensation.

Anyway, it's coming up to 6 weeks now and i'm still experiencing mild muscle weakness on my left leg only. It's a nagging feeling that isn't affecting me walking, and it's not even slightly painful. If I work out by squatting with some light weights, I'm finding that I can do it without fatiguing etc. I have been eating lots of foods rich in Vitamin B such as beef and seeds for Vitamin E. Apparently they both really help with replenishing your muscles.

I could see a difference in my muscle mass from my legs, they felt a lot smaller and I must admit, I have neglected my leg muscles for many years now as I work in IT and sit down a lot. That said, I do a lot of walking with my dog etc and definitely did not even have a hint of this muscle weakness. I was also extremely depressed and thinking really bad things for a week or so following the binge, and I'm usually very happy in general. I was almost crying about situations in my mind that hadn't even happened. I feel crazy typing this, but these symptoms are apparently all linked to this myopathy.

Any tips here guys? Could it simply be that the acute myopathy blew away lots of my muscle mass in one big binge? Perhaps sleeping on that leg put pressure on those muscles for my 10 hour sleep, hence why I was mainly feeling this in my left leg?

There aren't many articles on this condition, but ones I have seen, have suggested that 7-10 days for it to go. I have then seen a few posts from others have said that it took a few months for it to fully go.

One other thing, is that I fell on my back 3-4 months ago, and had JUST got over this chipped bone and deep glute muscle damage. Perhaps my nerves were still repairing and an alcohol binge was probably the last thing I should have done. Possibly not linked, but thought I'd add that too.

I also play drums, and have had no issues with coordination and power on the pedals.
BF12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have not had this happen but I do know that Doctor Google can send me into a tailspin of worry.

Maybe lay off the overthinking? That I do know something about.

Welcome to the site. Are you going to stop going on alcohol binges after this? Probably a good plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
BF12345 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have not had this happen but I do know that Doctor Google can send me into a tailspin of worry.

Maybe lay off the overthinking? That I do know something about.

Welcome to the site. Are you going to stop going on alcohol binges after this? Probably a good plan.
Wow, that was a quick reply! Cheers

I am naturally an overthinker for sure, but I couldn't have possibly made these symptoms up. I'm really active and for my leg to be that weak for weeks, is definitely not right and happened the day after the binge.

I'm literally not touching alcohol again, I've been on holiday since and didn't have a drop and don't regret it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BF12345 For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

My point was more - find a way to not obsess over it. The more time I spend thinking about a problem, the worse I can build it up to be.

I've not read about nor heard about this physical problem happening from one binge. Not saying it didn't happen, just I've never heard this one. I have heard about obsessive anxiety being caused by alcohol.

Have you thought about going back to the doc?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi and Welcome BF.

It could be any one of a hundred things.

I would probably see your GP rather than an A&E. I hope they can help you get to the bottom of it.

I'm glad you're giving the drink away tho

D
Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
My point was more - find a way to not obsess over it. The more time I spend thinking about a problem, the worse I can build it up to be.

I've not read about nor heard about this physical problem happening from one binge. Not saying it didn't happen, just I've never heard this one. I have heard about obsessive anxiety being caused by alcohol.

Have you thought about going back to the doc?

​​​​​​I'm tempted to go get some bloods to see yea.

I've seen a few references of acute myopathy following a heavy binge. I'm unable to post a link as I'm too new, but Google Acute Alcoholic Myopathy and the first link on alcohol.org describes it can happen after one heavy binge. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing and had it last a few months?
Old 05-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

hm, I read that link. Interesting. So many ways to mess up the body with alcohol.

I would go back to the doctor. It also stated that nutrition and Vitamin D are important in the treatment of this - which I have found both to be an important part of my own healthy living. Vitamin D was a life-changing supplement for me, and I'm not exaggerating.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Isnít alcohol great? Can really jack up levels of anxiety. I have had leg pain due to over exertion while drinking. I have also had thigh cramps the day after. Not necessarily what youíre talking about. Iíve found seeing a Dr is way better than Google. Then I also have decided to trust what the Dr says. Good decision on giving up the booze.
AtomicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote