Pain from jaw, wisdom tooth, face idk - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Pain from jaw, wisdom tooth, face idk

So basically my jaw and face hurts. I was supposed to have a wisdom tooth removed about a year ago but I never got around to doing so because the thought of having a tooth removed scares me. I got pain to the right side of my face, jaw and wisdom tooth. It seems i also have this tooth that is further back than the wisdom tooth and i think that also might be the problem. I rang the dentist and told them and they booked an appointment for me but its in 2 weeks time. I couldn't get a private dentist since I can't really afford it.

How am I supposed to deal with the pain in the mean time? it also hurts when i ear hard food like steak. Also might just be a coincidence but this started after i stopped drinking again which was 7 nights ago.
ozm8ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sorry for your pain. I've got a back injury that happened a year ago (ugh) and has returned significantly enough that I am returning to the dr this coming week.

I only take Advil and all of my drs (and I) agree I just won't do pain meds because of the risk as a recovering alcoholic. I even limit myself to the actual dose (one every 4-6 hr) because I know and re-experienced that too much causes me a cycle of rebound headaches.

But sometimes...yesterday, for example, I thought about going to urgent care because they might give me a short course of even Tylenol 3. I didn't go.

Anything that numbs us- like drinking- can "help" pain. I'm glad you are sober and I'd certainly suggest staying that way even though it must be very tempting to drink, especially so early in.

I know many people with really serious stuff, like cancer or a rod in their entire spine, who don't take pain meds either. I keep thinking about that because my back, or I'd say jaw and teeth pain too, aren't worth a relapse.

I hope your dentist can help - hang on and don't drink. Keep us posted.

Quote:
"Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice in Wonderland
August252015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Sorry to hear that OzM8ey.

You can see your doctor about dental stuff too. They won't be able to extract or fill teeth of course but they may be able to suggest things you haven't thought of.

My doctor and dentist both tell me the best thing is ibuprofen - naturally no more than the max allowed per day..

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-09-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
August252015 (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dee, I so wish I was a normal person who had ever been relieved by normal doses...of ibuprofen, I mean.

Quote:
"Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice in Wonderland
August252015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to August252015 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

August, I too never found ibuprofen helpful, until this past June when I had open heart surgery. It was a Godsend for me, I was prescribed opiates for pain, but ibuprofen worked the best for me. Who knows, it might have been all in my head? I was worried about getting addicted. Ended up turning in about 80% of my oxy' s back to the pharmacy. (for proper disposal of course)
1984Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1984Toy For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

This may be my anxiety but now I'm worried its mouth cancer. I looked it up and apparently alcohol can cause mouth cancer. Just hope its my wisdom tooth i was supposed to get removed ages ago. Another reason to not drink (mouth cancer)

Edit: Also found out it could be a ulcer on the side of the inside of my mouth, Same sorta symptoms I'm getting. I hate when I obsess over things like this and there are so many different things it could be.
The Following User Says Thank You to ozm8ey For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

The odd are overwhelming it's nothing like mouth cancer.

If you need reassurance before the two weeks, why not go see a Doc?

D
Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

My father's dentist suggested to him that he take one extra-strength Tylenol and one Ibuprofen each 4-6 hours for pain relief, and that seemed to work very well for him. The dentist said that combination works as well as low-dose opioids for the discomfort.
Guener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well went to the dentist yesterday and didn't go as planned. I went in answered lots of questions and they also asked how much it hurt from a scaled of 1-10. They then looked at it and said I need to get a proper x-ray and will most likely need to go to the dental hospital and put on a waiting list for up to 12 months unless I pay $1,000's for a private dental hospital. So now I have to get an x-ray tomorrow. They also told me I can go to the doctors to get anti biotics and some sort of pain medication forgot which medication they said though.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry to hear you're dealing with that. Ironic because I have the EXACT same problem right now. I went in for a cleaning and I had been having jaw pain. I chalked it up to TMJ because I had been grinding my teeth sometimes. Then a wisdom tooth (I'm almost 40 and this is my first) showed up on the xrays. At this point, I'm taking 800mg ibuprofen on a regular basis just so I can eat. The other side of my face doesn't hurt and neither do my teeth, so I don't think it's from grinding. I know that a wisdom tooth pushing on those muscles can cause this pain. But dealing with the pain when your instinct is to reach for the bottle to numb the pain. It's an uncomfortable feeling.
abgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

I should have read further than the first page. And that you're not in the US. Hope it works out for you.
abgator is offline   Reply With Quote