My pain dr just got arrested! My apt was next week what do i do? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation

My pain dr just got arrested! My apt was next week what do i do?

okay, i got crippled on oct 3 2012. i cant walk proerl. my leg and ankle bones ffused. i got arthirits.. nerve damage, and i have degerating discs in my back. im 24.

im in bed crying from pain, bcs my back injection wore off, and they only got me on perc 10s, 4 a day. My mom(i live with her cause i cant take care of myself and on disability.) comes to the door. She says my pain dr has just been arrested. We turn my tv to fox, and there he is, "dr. *******" was arrested for giving bad scripts to non patients.

im freaking out! ive been on oxycodone for 2 years! 1 YEAR FROM MY SURGEON, 1 YEAR FROM MY PAIN DR, "*****"!

*MY NEXT APT WAS NEXT WEEK ON THE 24th!, i need a back injection and my ain medication!"
its 6pm, they are closed. idk what to do! i read horror stories on here about it! but i wasnt on anything big. i was only on 'PERC 10, 4 A DAY, 120 A MONTH". im sorry but i need them, i tried being of, and i *cant* walk. it hurts to just lay down.. im scared. all us pain patients, what do we do!? are we just f*ed?

they are next to the hospital, iis there any chance someone will at least give me one more month scipt to give me time to find a new pain dr? jesus, i have real injuries, ive had mris, xrays, surgeries.

my pcp wont give narcotics. but tynol doesnt help me put weight on my leg. last year my surgeon dropped me(for no reason, i never failed a drug test, never filled a scirpt early) but it took me forever to find a pain dr to take me in! but my surgeon gave me a scrit for a month to buuy me time.

is there any hope? honestly i hate the dea, bcs now im scared, and i have a heart condition. i got tats(a face tat, and long hair) i was so hay to find a dr that didnt judge me.

in these years i never, filled a scrit early, never dr shopped. never failed a drug test. i also never got my dosage uped on my pain medication. instead i got back injections. is there any good news? i live in va. plz help!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know anything about the US system, but I'd start with your PCP. Maybe they'll have some suggestions for you?

I hope you'll find a way through

D
Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know anything about the US system, but I'd start with your PCP. Maybe they'll have some suggestions for you?

I hope you'll find a way through

D
do i tell them the trut? that my pain dr was arreted?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, like I said I have no experience in the US system. No tatts either

but I would, yeah.

I know the fear is 'if I tell them that, they may think my need isn't genuine'...but any decent Dr should see your need is genuine, surely?

D
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, tell them the truth. You'll be able to get something figured out.

It isn't your fault he got arrested.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
Carlotta (07-17-2014), Dee74 (07-16-2014), DesertEyes (07-16-2014), jarrett622 (09-05-2014), Kris47 (05-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yes, tell them the truth. You'll be able to get something figured out.

It isn't your fault he got arrested.
im crying bcs my life is already hard. i rely on meds to just get out of bed to use the bathroom, to eat, to be able to lay down and sleep. a car hit me goin 50 mph and i was a pedstrian. my life has been a living hell. but at least i had some relief.

i didnt do anything wrong! i got a fiance living with me in my moms house, and i dont want to be stuck in my bed all day in agonizing agony. im sorry i look like a "hard guy" but im scared.
bcs if this accident i lost my job, i used up my college money, i gained 60 pounds(im 270 pounds now) i barely can have relations with my fiance.
(then i got meds and i was able to live a lil, then the back injections and i was able to walk with a cane)

if i lose quality of life.idk what ill do.

if he was prescribing all these "big meds" how come when i asled just for raise of meds hed would flip out! and use alternatives like back injections and arthrithis medcine. i dont get high. im a recovering alcholic(yes i quit 2 years ago, but if i go back to pain 24/7, im gonna give up and pick ip the bottle, then ill lose my family and fiance)

my fiance even counts my pills aand watches me, I NEVER CRUSHED A PILL ! OR ABUSED THEM BCS MY SISTER IS A PILL HEAD AND IT DISGUSTS ME!

they cant abandon us legit patients... can they? what about us on disbaility(full), cripples, and cancer paitents(im handicapped 4 life)

will ppl turn there backs on me?
Ipanema (07-23-2014), Kris47 (05-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know it's scary but I think it's important not to lose yourself in a sea of what ifs.

See your PCP - take it from there.

I hope others will be along with some local knowledge and suggestions too

I'm pulling for you ssjthor

D
Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

so i called my pain dr today, and the secretary said HE WAS IN THE OFFICE!? i asked how can this be? she said she did indeed watch the news yesterday saw that he was arrested, but he was in today writing scripts!?
i asked, "u guys can see on my file i get percocet, and back injection, will i be able to get my refill on the 24th/' SHE SAID "yes"... how can this be? is he allowed to practice medicine till his court trial, or did they find no evidence?

Last edited by Dee74; 07-17-2014 at 07:00 PM.
ssjthor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssjthor For This Useful Post:
Ipanema (07-23-2014), Kris47 (05-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think they have laws in the US about up and leaving legitimate patients high and dry. .. any doc will tell you cold turkey opiate withdrawal is not something to be played with. .. If you know your doctor is in hot water you should start looking for another doctor. .. be honest with them. .. usually they can spot a liar from miles away. Good luck.
purechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purechaos For This Useful Post:
Carlotta (07-17-2014), jarrett622 (09-05-2014), Kris47 (05-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purechaos View Post
I think they have laws in the US about up and leaving legitimate patients high and dry. .. any doc will tell you cold turkey opiate withdrawal is not something to be played with. .. If you know your doctor is in hot water you should start looking for another doctor. .. be honest with them. .. usually they can spot a liar from miles away. Good luck.
so im the liar miles away? OR they are? bcs im gonna ask him whats goin on
Carlotta (07-17-2014), Ipanema (07-23-2014), jarrett622 (09-05-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Behold the power of NO

Get your refill but start looking for another doctor.
Right now he is probably out on bail but not out of the woods. He will keep practicing until he is convicted or/and the ethic board removes his license. If he is a decent person, he will start referring his legit patients to legit doctors before his license is suspended.
Dee74 (07-17-2014), jarrett622 (09-05-2014), Kris47 (05-17-2015), readerbaby71 (07-20-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm no mindreader but I think purechoas was responding to this
Quote:
do i tell them the trut? that my pain dr was arreted?
suggesting it's always best to be honest rather than being caught out on a lie however well intentioned.

I don't think anyone was accusing you of being a liar

D
Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

ssjthor - I am not a lawyer by any means, but it is my understanding that you are presumed innocence until proven guilty - i.e. convicted. If he you can get the script from him then that gives you 30 days to get a new doctor. If he is able to practice until he is convicted (if he is convicted that is) it is probably going to take a while for that anyway. As far as bringing up his arrest goes, I wouldn't bring it up until your have script in hand. If he brings it up first then so be it.

I agree that you should start with your PCP and you could even go back to your surgeon if you are in a pinch. With your injuries I find it difficult to believe that they would doubt the legitimacy of your pain. If you are worried about the long hair then just wear a cap.

As far as the horror stories regarding opi withdrawal go, I wouldn't get overwhelmed with fear. I have known people personally that came off of >1g / day of oxycodone, and they had been using daily for years. Those were horror story type withdrawals, but that is just on a whole different level from what you are talking about.

As a last resort - if you did go into withdrawal and it was unbearable - you could try going to the ER. They may be able to help, but they are typically reluctant to write solid narcotic scripts. If none of that works then you are looking at options that aren't very appealing. I guess I would say that you can get your hands on pills if you absolutely need to.

I have to say that I kind of chuckled about the idea of crushing up percocets. That is a pointless exercise because it is almost all Tylenol.
OpioPhobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpioPhobe For This Useful Post:
Zevin (08-02-2016)
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

I feel your pain. And now they've changed all these drugs to a different class. I take Ultram for nerve pain. And it's now a schedule IV drug where before it wasn't a controlled substance at all. It's technically not a narcotic. My current NP won't prescribe it. So I have to contact the clinic and set up and appt with an actual MD. Up until now I've always preferred the NP's. But I'm done dealing with them.

If your doctor was arrested for writing scripts for people he shouldn't have been how is he able to keep writing scripts for controlled substances? I would think as part of his bail that would have been stated.

I understand you may be worried about being accused of doctor shopping. But in your case it's legitimate. So yes, be honest about the reason you're looking for a new pain doctor. Anyone can verify that info. So get your next script filled and then check with your PCP for a referral to a new pain doc. Make sure the PCP understands that time is a factor in all this.

I'm in Va also, by the way. I have no insurance, can't work, can't get disability and they haven't expanded Medicaid yet. I found a clinic about 40 miles away that has a sliding scale. Thank goodness for that. I pay 30.00 for an office visit, an extra 10.00 for any lab work or x-rays. I also get all my meds basically for free. But there are problems of their own in this system. Say, when the mailperson "loses" my recert app. Then I have times when I've been out of Cymbalta and Ultram. This system stinks but it's all I have at the moment.

I hope everything works out.
jarrett622 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jarrett622 For This Useful Post:
Kris47 (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Waiting For Engines

Wow. This is my worst nightmare—hearing that my pain management doctor was arrested and not knowing if I would be able to be treated again or get my medication since I cannot think that anyone in my area of residence is going to just write me for 150 mgs of methadone a day like it is an antibiotic. It's like the fear that many of us have over our providers retiring or even dying—I know how selfish this sounds and it is part of what these substances do to some of us.

My mom is 75 years old, is on medical marijuana, was in a rehab for 3 months and picked up an rx for oxycodone which was waiting for her upon discharge! I feel like I can't say anything since I am on so much mediction that if I dare speak to her about my concerns, she'll just do as she does and tell me that I've been an addict my whole life and don't know anything...

I have never heard of a doctor arrested for a narcotics charge and still be allowed to practice with prescribing controlled substances to patients, although some doctors may have been arrested for not keeping adequate records on patients, failing some audit, or even being inappropriate with patients—and they may have to surrender their ******** but are given the necessary time to make referrals for their caseloads. It would seem highly unlikely that the physician's misconduct is not a matter of public record, so I don't think that you would be wrong in bringing up this fact to another MD.

It is your health which cannot be compromised anymore due tho physicians who break the law. Why do you have to suffer?

I think that you need to contact this practitioner's office over and over again until you get a satisfactory resolution. I hope you already have!

"If Enough people Call You A Duck, You Better Start Quacking."
ksos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ksos For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Starting over

Hello Ksos, and thanks for posting.

Note that this thread is from late 2014, you may want to start a new thread of your own.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Dee74 (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Waiting For Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
Hello Ksos, and thanks for posting.

Note that this thread is from late 2014, you may want to start a new thread of your own.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Hi Mike...

I just noticed what you alerted me to—I should have been more aware of the dates. It has been a very long time since I have been here, although this forum has literally saved my life.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ksos

"If Enough people Call You A Duck, You Better Start Quacking."

Last edited by ksos; 05-17-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Misspelling
ksos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ksos For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-17-2015)