Fibromyalgia. - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Recovery and Pain Management
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fibromyalgia.

Hi everyone. I haven't been on SR for a while. I've been on Facebook alot and also doing alot of research and being proactive in Fibromyalgia Awareness. Also being proactive in researching vitamin supplements and alternative treatments for fibro.

I have gotten really bad. The fibro Fog is setting in and is scaring the he** out of me. I am losing short term memory, some cognitive skills and some fine motor skills. I have been having a hard time typing due to pain and finger cooperation.

Anyone who is on facebook there is a page for the National Fibromyalgia Association. It is a great support page and informational page.

If anyone is interested, it seems that the some of the suppliments that work well, and have helped me are:
Magnesium, Vitamin D, B-complex, folic acid and fish oil.

Also realizing and admitting to my limitations. I can't do as much as I used to, I can't do as much as I want to, and everyone else has to be ok with that and if they are not, then Oh well. There is nothing that can change it. I need to take care of me and keep my pain to a tolerable level. As well as the other problems that fibro comes with.

I have been depending alot of God and other Fibromites who understand, and trying to get information to my family and friends who care enough to be interested in it, so they can better understand what we go through.

It's nice to see some familiar names and some new ones as well. I will try to pop in more often.

Laurie

I came into this program to save my a**
and found out it was attached to my soul. --
Anonymous
namommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to namommy For This Useful Post:
Synfull Vyxun (10-15-2012)
Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Hi, Laurie. It's good to see you ducking your head in the door.

I wasn't going to respond because my attitude towards my FMS is often an unpopular one among folks who are still trying to come to terms with it. I simply refuse to let it take center stage in my life. I have other chronic pain conditions, too, and they get to share the same space -- part of my life, but not my life.

I've had all the symptoms since I was in my early teens, but I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was twenty-two -- almost twenty years ago. I've been through all the various drugs prescribed for it, at least up until my early recovery almost seven years ago. As miserable as it can be -- and miserable is putting it mildly some days -- I've found that managing what energy I have and knowing my limitations, while doing as much as I can as often as I can is preferable and even superior to any of the chemical treatments available. The last thing I tried was Lyrica a couple of years ago. The doctor gave me two months worth of samples, and the effects were so marginal, I couldn't justify the monthly cost.

My sister, from whom I've been estranged for a lot of years, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and contacted me a couple of summers ago because she knew I had it. When I told her she needed to get up and move every day, she wanted to know what kind of pain pills my doctor was giving me so that I could do it. She didn't believe me when I said I wasn't on any. Every conversation with her was about her pain and how she couldn't do the things she used to do -- and I surely understand that. I can't hike anymore. I can't ride motorcycles anymore. I know you garden, Laurie. I'll bet neither one of us can kick a shovel -- and if we tried, we'd pay for it big time. But I do a lot, just in spurts with planned rest and the occasional day off.

If I let pain define me, I turn inward, and it becomes something not a whole lot different than active addiction. In order to live with it, and even use it as a means of feeling compassion for others who suffer, I have to get up every morning and ask my HP what's in store -- what do you want me to do today that will make me useful? What's my purpose?

I do hope you know that I offer this from my heart. There's a whole lot of us who've had our lives and our usefulness diminished because of pain. Once I stopped struggling against it and seeing it as a punishment for some unknown transgression, it became a gift -- just as the silver strands in my hair I once covered up with L'Oreal are a gift. Pain has the potential to teach us.

And I'm having a sucky day today, pain-wise -- though I had an awesome watermelon-scented bubble bath!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
AJH 6/1/69-6/16/12
MLM 7/11/61-1/14/13
CAS 6/27/77-4/6/14

Sugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with everything Sugah said, especially the part about not letting it define one.

I was diagnosed in 1991, I think it was. I was lucky to have a good doctor! I found that taking narcotics for the pain seemed to make it worse. Getting out for a gentle walk and some sunlight helps me so much. Also, meditating and self-hypnosis helps with the pain, the attitude and just generally makes me feel better.

I also take 1000 mgs of calcium, 100 mgs of B6 and 100 mgs of magnesium at bedtime. Even though I don't sleep much the quality of sleep seems to be better. I tried Lyrica and it didn't do much. Also, eating small meals throughout the day rather than big ones three times a day works too.

I take advil and warm baths with epsom salts when a flare up starts. Also Ging Seng for energy.

I hope you're feeling better. It is possible! I feel better now than I ever thought possible.

Love,

Lenina
Lenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I didn't mean to sound like I was posting about being caught up in the pain. I have done alot of praying about this. I know that God does everything for a purpose, and I just needed to find out what God wanted me to do about this. I came to the realization, that just like addiction, fibromyalgia is so mis-understood, and comes with it's own stigma in some circles. After much prayer and meditation, it came to me, that I can be usefull, in helping to raise awareness of fibromyalgia, as well as addiction, and in some cases combine the two. Let's face it, recovering addicts have difficult decisions to make about treatment plans, and doctors treat us differently than they would treat a "normal" person. This is why I started researching it, and blogging about it and adding the information I find to my blog. I have also titled one of my posts "Fibromyalgia and The Recovering Addict". I went out on a limb and broke my anonymity in hopes of helping someone else. Even if it is just one person.

As I posted here, I have been doing alot of research about suppliments and treatment options. I have also found dietary changes that will help not only with the pain, but also with the other issue that arise from fibro. Ideally, a gluten free diet is best, but some small changes that you can make are, cutting out dairy products, processed wheat (such as white bread, pasta products, etc.) sticking with whole wheat helps, but even that can aggravate fibromyalgia symptoms. Artificial sweeteners can cause problems.

I found a great web-site for tracking your symptoms, treatment plans, diet and other factors to help you better manage fibro or any other medical problems you may have. It is PatientsLikeMe : Patients Helping Patients Live Better Every Day it has been very helpful.

I found that my mental outlook is so much better when I feel as though I have a purpose, and I am not going through all of this for nothing. The same way I feel about my active addiction. Why did I have to go through all the things that I have, if I can't use the knowledge I gained from it to help others.

TTYL
Soft Hugs to All
Laurie D.

I came into this program to save my a**
and found out it was attached to my soul. --
Anonymous
namommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
jimbo

i have fibromyralgia too i have had it about two years by the sound of it not as bad as some get it ,i go to the pain clinic to try to deal with it,i'm med free at the moment but i dont know how much longer i will last without them,tiredness is the thing that does me ,well that and the pain which stops you sleeping and when you cant sleep the pains get worse when you are over tired ,which in turn stops you sleeping causing more tiredness which then makes the pain worse which then stops you sleeping which......and so on

will check out the facebook fybromyralgia
Old 12-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

me2

I realize this thread is about three months old but I find it helpful to read shares of other sober women coping with Fibromyalgia.

I just spent the afternoon at a rheumatologist's office and she was so cool about explaining to me what Fibromyalgia is all about and how it's a REAL disorder with one essential missing ingredient that causes relapses into pain: LACK OF REM SLEEP.

If you're like me, you're a light sleeper. Light sleeping came my way first through childhood trauma when co-existing with alcoholic dysfunction in the family (every adult drank the Irish way)... Thereafter it was college and late nights cramming for exams or writing papers, then staying up with stress about my teaching job... Somehow I contracted Epstein-Barr and that developed into Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome, then when I became pregnant, I was diagnosed as having early onset Fibromyalgia.

Today as an active mother, I no longer teach but stay home to parent my son and volunteer at his school, doing the whole soccer mom routine... It's a 60 hour work week being a parent, and I try to make up for a life of my own by staying up until 2am some nights just to catch up with my personal activities. Then when I finally crash, I sleep poorly and must wake at the crack of dawn to get my kid fed, dressed and off to school.

My rheumatologist listed through this schedule and said, "just about every Fibromalgia patient who comes in the first visit has the same story. Are you stressed out?" I answered, "No." Then she asked, "do you have depression?" And I also answered "No," so she went on to interview me about my sleeping habits and I told her that I basically sleep poorly and don't feel rested in the morning. Then she told me something interesting...

During the 1950s when the US Military was a bit rough, they were testing out sleep deprivation for soldiers and took their fittest Marines as volunteers for a special sleep study. The Marines, being all buff and strong men were subjected to three days without sleep. They remained in a room to be watched non-stop and when any soldier nodded off, they were abruptly woken up so that the three days without sleep would be fulfilled. At the end of the third day, all the soldiers were hobbling around like old men and were crippled... they lost muscle mass, experienced excruciating pain, developed restless leg syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome and were tender to the touch.

Recently doctors have returned to that Military research and find that there's an association with chronic wide spread pain resulting from lack of REM sleep. Some healthy individuals may be able to have a full sleep with just four hours and fifteen minutes per day if they train themselves to go in the first phase of light sleep, then the second dream phase in those first fifteen minutes, having four solid hours of REM state where one is 'knocked out cold' in deep sleep.

My doctor went on to explain that as age progresses, we lose energy. Say we have 10,000 points worth of energy to expend but we use up that energy early in life, we're then stuck in a state of inertia when those points are exhausted, and for the human body to repair itself from the general wear and tear of moving about in the world, sleep is needed to rebuild energy and repair muscles from the day's damage of use...

Having this explained to me, it was suggested by my doctor that I move out the television in my bedroom as well as the books, to just relate with my bedroom as a deep sleeping zone and nothing else. She explained it's very different for women today who are afflicted with Fibromyalgia as we must wear many hats and be Superwomen as well, so she suggested that I take two hours off each week to do something completely relaxing, whether it's going to the spa or taking a scenic walk, doing plein air painting, totally alone and without kids or distractions...

I'm excited about this new remedy plan and am hopeful of finally reversing a bad cycle of exhausted energy and pain resulting from poor sleep. Something to look out for is Restless Leg Syndrome and/or a habit of tossing and turning through the night, which is something I do. The doctor offered to script me a sleeping aid but I told her that I'm not ready for that because I'm a recovering alcoholic and addict and don't want to go the pill route. I do though have chronic pain so she scripted a non-narcotic analgesic along with a muscle relaxer and I will give those medications a trial run but will make a commitment to winding down early without (ehgads) television viewing while snug in bed... That will be a hard habit to break but my doctor made another interesting point...

According to my doctor, Fibromyalgia is a new disorder caused by the invention of electricity. Back in the old days before homes were installed with electricity, people went to bed in the dark, had sex and fell asleep, waking up at the crack of dawn. But today, people have the lights on, TVs keeping company, book reading under night lamps, so for these reasons, the mind is stimulated to remain more in the dream phase and not reach REM state, they toss and turn, and with every toss and turn, they're wearing their muscles out so that when they wake up in the morning it feels like they've run through a marathon. After many years of this wear and tear on the muscles, there's no chance for repairing muscles so the body then develops pain, and for this reason, too, more and more women are falling to even worse health if not cancer.

Thought I'd share this insight with you in the event you've been looking for an answer of WHY this has happened and how to possible reverse a downward spiral.

I'm motivated and hope by this time next year I'll feel differently... be pain free and no longer afflicted by Fibromyalgia.
Weeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Weeza,

Wow, what intriguing stuff you've offered. I have been walking around for years saying--something's up. Fibromyalgia must come from environmental, cultural or otherwise non-organic causes, and what you've put forth above makes a lot of sense.

I'm too tired tonight to commiserate at length with you on your busy schedule, so here's the Cliff Notes version.

I'm the mother of four, three of whom are young adults still living or in transition out of home. I teach and go to school full-time a hundred miles away from home (which means maintaining two homes). I sleep 4-5 hours a night through the week, but I MUST set aside at least one night on the weekend to get ten hours--or I'm in a constant flare. I can get so far sleep deprived, make it through so much pain, but if I push too much, my body revolts. I can't do NSAIDS, won't do narcotics and have found only marginal relief from Lyrica and classes of non-narcotic drugs prescribed for Fibromyalgia. So, it's either recharge every once in awhile or give up my lifestyle, which I've become rather fond of.

What were you teaching before you became a full-time soccer mom? (I'm a track & field mom)

Peace & Love,
Sugah
AJH 6/1/69-6/16/12
MLM 7/11/61-1/14/13
CAS 6/27/77-4/6/14

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Greetings

Hi Sugah!
So pleased to make your miserable acquaintance! Hope that doesn't sound off-putting when I say "miserable" because it's the misery of Fibromylagia coupled with sobriety and keeping sober that makes us cousins.

While in college and supporting myself through school, I earned enough credits in early childhood education to teach pre-school and so was a pre-k teacher for eight years after being a student teacher for two years at an elementary school. I switched from public elementary to non-profit pre-K as I didn't dig the elementary school's politics, but I've been asking myself what I'm going to do with the rest of my life when my son grows into a teen and no longer needs me around as a stay home mother, so I'm fixing to return to college and work on my masters in education, become an elementary school teacher. The politics shouldn't bother me this time around because I'm older, wiser and from what I can tell, the unified school system has done a lot of maturing over the passed twenty years, so I'm hopeful of fulfilling a long wished for dream.

I've done a ton of secretarial work, too, but when I reflect back on what made me happy most while formally employed, it's always been teaching. Maybe teaching may mean earning half the salary but the smiles on children's faces and their milestones is more of a reward, and I'd be spending less money on comfort shopping to make up for bad feelings experienced an the office...

It's really uncanny though how the majority of people afflicted with Fibromyalgia came into the syndrome via germs contracted while employed as teachers, and how often Fibromyalgia followed CFIDS and Epstein-Barr.

I recall attending CFIDS support groups in the early 90s and how the majority were female teachers with a shared complaint-- "we hurt and we're told it's all in our heads." But I tell you, it was because these ladies were educated and organized that they networked and went with their research to their doctors, educated them and then on to the Surgeon General's office. That was a huge success for CFIDS to finally be recognized as an actual syndrome. However, I was in the dark about how Fibromyalgia has recently been declared an actual disorder that is no longer viewed "all in the head."

It was a huge relief for me today, seven years after first diagnosis, to sit down with a new rheumatologist and have her spell everything out for me in the way I shared with you earlier this evening. I'm excited about this because now at last there is a general root to the syndrome, that being lack of REM sleep caused by either stress, RLS, or a sleeping disorder.

Every mother knows, especially working mothers, that real deep sleep is hard to come by, and given that you're a mother to four kids (don't know how you do it) and work as a teacher on top of raising your family, with the 4 to 5 hours of sleep you get each night, it's no wonder why Fibromyalgia's come into your life.

With this validation from my rheumatologist, her insight and directions for ways to heal through sleep, I'm motivated and hopeful that this painful affliction can be reversed. I do worry about your long drives to and from work as that could produce sciatic type of pain from putting your foot on the gas and focusing on steering for such long stretches. At best all I can muster is a 20 mile drive and then I'm wiped out. You must be Wonderwoman!

Just an idea, if you've not already done so, maybe pad your driver's seat with a heated sheepskin seat cover? I've seen them advertised somewhere before. Maybe Google around for one? Some cars in the United Kingdom have built in heating systems within the seats so if you have a car like that in the USA, add on a sheepskin seat cover. I've heard from CFIDS friends that it helps immensely. I don't have one myself because I'm vegetarian and don't do the leather thing, but I do use one of those heated stick on patches, put that onto the small of my back and wrap up in a thick fuzzy throw blanket like kimono-- this does wonders, especially during cold weather. (Hey Barb, you might wanna try that one out!)

I'm bushed and need to get beside the fireplace, and work on goodie bags for tomorrow's Christmas party at the school

Saturday is near and soon it will be Winter Break. Amen to that!

xx Weeza
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeza View Post
Every mother knows, especially working mothers, that real deep sleep is hard to come by, and given that you're a mother to four kids (don't know how you do it) and work as a teacher on top of raising your family, with the 4 to 5 hours of sleep you get each night, it's no wonder why Fibromyalgia's come into your life.
It's not a recent thing. I was diagnosed when I was...24, I think, though I had symptoms in my teens. I'm 41 now. I had never heard of it before the doctor found and pressed on all the various buttons that sent me damned near through the roof.

Strangely enough, my flares are less frequent and don't last as long when I'm active. I'm sure your rheumatologist encouraged regular exercise? I have other conditions besides which restrict the kind of exercise I'm able to do, but I stretch every day and in the warm months, I take easy strolls.

We live in the country, so I'm motivated to go out and see what's growing along the wood line, in the orchard, in the garden. My husband bought me a lily pad garden stool that rocks back and forth. It's marketed toward those with FMS, and it's so much better than the sling seats I had been using. Yanking weeds is a good way to stretch everything else if it's done in reasonable stretches.

Many of us mistake business for exercise, but I think when we're moving the body independent of the mind (which has so many other things to do), we don't get the benefit of mindful movement and breathing.

I think it's worthy to note that my flares also decreased in frequency and duration when I gave up meat. What used to last five days to two weeks now typically lasts 1-3. I still have daily pain, but it's more often from other causes (RSD, RA, osteoarthritis in several joints and my spine). And I haven't gotten sick in the cold/flu sense, either, which is unusual. I used to catch everything. Doc says my immune system likely strengthened now that it's not getting a steady dose of steroids and antibiotics from the meat. Did I mention my cholesterol is in the normal range for the first time in my life? Something to consider, maybe ask about.

And, sciatica...oh, boy. I woke up from a nap on Friday, tried to roll over and found I was pinned to the bed. I toughed it out until Monday when I heard my sacral (sacroilliac) joint give way and take the pressure off. Very gentle missionary-position sex finished nudging it back into proper position (I can say that, right, since this is the women's forum? ).

I had more a moment ago, but *yawn* it's time to go to bed now

Peace & Love,
Sugah
AJH 6/1/69-6/16/12
MLM 7/11/61-1/14/13
CAS 6/27/77-4/6/14

Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Om, Aum, Ohm...

One more thing...

Quote:
I'm excited about this because now at last there is a general root to the syndrome, that being lack of REM sleep caused by either stress, RLS, or a sleeping disorder.
I've found several medications bring on RLS -- narcotics, some antidepressants, and some antihistamines. I don't take any of the first two anymore, but I have allergies, and I'd rather take a benadryl when the symptoms are bad than medicate with a pill every day. I used to have RLS something awful, but not so much anymore -- except every once in awhile when I take a benadryl and then don't go to bed immediately. So, if you're on any medications, you might want to check the side effects.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
AJH 6/1/69-6/16/12
MLM 7/11/61-1/14/13
CAS 6/27/77-4/6/14

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow, interesting stuff here. I was diagnosed in 1991 after having symptoms for four years. I was 34, I think. I also work with lots of people and have shifts that vary, in hours and times, frequently on the "back side" of the clock.

I'm 57 now, the flares are less severe but maybe that's because I feel them coming and know what to do. I eat far less meat than I used to.

I think there's some link to all the dyes and preservatives in food that either cause stuff or trigger it. I have nothing to back up this notion of mine, it just seems right to me.

Love to you all!

Lenina
The Following User Says Thank You to Lenina For This Useful Post:
least (04-13-2010)
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

celiac

Hello Lenina and Sugah,

Something's just come to my mind about what Sugah said regarding sacral displacement caused by sciatica and how it was nudged back into place with a little external help... There's a new machine I've seen on an infomercial which helps the spine get air between compressed vertebrae by letting the knees go over the circulating machine from a laying down on back position, and it lifts and rotates from side to side... designed by a sports doctor. I've been thinking about getting one of these machines... ah, just found it, it's called Back2Life. I'm not wishing to make an endorsement here, especially when I've not used one myself, but I've been advised to get into a gentle stretching exercise regime along with walk around the block until muscles are restored. It costs around $200 and well, if you remember the Thighmaster days from the 80s, some gimmicks look and sound great but don't really work out in the end, so i guess I'll read up on reviews about this machine.

I've recently heard something too about changing diet to macrobiotic type menu that's apparently a new thing in Switzerland so will be looking into that because I have IBS issues. I've been vegetarian for over 30 years but it's the sugars and wheats that really get to me. In a science journal, Scientific American, there is an extensive article about Celiac Disease and the primary evil is wheat and sugar, refined foods... according to the research, modern humans are afflicted with all sorts of ailments and low immunity because there is an allergy to grain and sugar due to these being foods not meant for human consumption. The article is at this link:

Celiac Disease Insights: Clues to Solving Autoimmunity: Scientific American

Now, it's a funny strange thing how often people are attracted to substances they're allergic to... take alcohol for instance. I'm also highly allergic to processed chocolate covered cherries because there's a red dye in the ingredient that throws me into anaphylactic shock, but for some reason the red dye finds its way to me and I often get urticaria.

I don't understand why the FDA allows for dyes to be in foods in the first place. In England they're banned, and steroids in meats are also banned in France.

Oh, I'm doing poorly with my sleep this evening and should just shut the computer off. Okay, i'll go do that now. See you later,

Weeza
Old 12-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Being Me for the first time

tho Im not all sure about all the above stuff , but it sure is interesting . Ive been suffering for to many yrs now and the older Ive gotten the worse things get . Recv Alki 6 yrs .. Not sure that I drank to not hurt . Because it was never really one of my pain problems back then or so it seemed .

Im double jointed , hands feet, hips, sholders you name it its there , I also have a missing disk in my back ( birth defect ) that been fusing its self for several yrs now . followed by good old R-artheritus . and the FM .. Its been commin on for yrs, But Finally got tired of the pain in my joints and not being able to sleep at nites , continual toss from one side to the next and so on. I dont honnestly know what a real solid nites sleep is for a long time . Even when the PA gave me a script for pain till i could see a specilist , it just made me sleep , the pain was still there .
I have my 2nd appointment with the specilists on the 4th , Im on some antiflamitorys and another funkie med that works with the brain to tell the nervers in my body to take a chill , these do seem to help me sleep ( way better then b4 ) and really havnt had to take my vicodin . But the side offects of them , make me loopie when I get up , which she told me they mite . But im still fighting the pain of achyness and such . my hands swell up and Im loosing function in my left .
I work when theres work ( im a house keeper ) yah it can put me down good if I over do It and many times I do , Im not one to take long drakes even when doing the gardening as on post said .. I just keep hammering along and that following nite .. oooh well i dont gotta express it , we all know
Ok ive been babbling here , but its just nice to see this forum and know theres others in SR with the same porblems .. off to get more coffee . thanks for your shares . ~ Endzy~
Old 12-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

welcome

Hi Endzoner,

I didn't sleep a wink last night either and now it's dawn and I've got to get on with my full day at my son's school. But I'm pretty sure this evening I'll hit my pillow like a log because I'm tired.

So I've been up and reading more on current findings about Fibromyalgia. This will sound quite shocking, but there are between 2 to 4% of Americans alone afflicted with Fibromyalgia. That's at least 3 out of 100 people and that's a huge number... As I've had to deal with this syndrome in isolation for the most part, having a first diagnosis 8 years ago when it was yet "new," when I think back to my teens, I recall being just as sick but with more energy, and likely coping with pain through drinking...

Back in my teens it was called tonsillitis, bronchitis, sinusitis, pneumonia, anemia, bla bla bla, then in 20s it became Epstein-Barr then CFIDS, but I recall feeling near enough to being this bad off even then. And for some time, one doctor even told me she felt that I had been poisoned by drinking Chromium Six from the City's well water during adolescence. While I was a gifted student and earned scholarships, by the time I was in college, my eyes began being extra sensitive to light, I developed allergies to perfume and smoke (chemical allergies), so my focus dwindled to the point that I had to be tested for learning disabilities and the college found me to have learning disabilities... Yet, those focus challenges disappeared in my 30s and I was able to complete my degree, graduating with excellent grades, and I think this was only possible because I took a long break from an American lifestyle while living abroad in the French countryside where everything was organic and natural.

So there's likely an environmental component to Fibromyalgia.

The Arthritis Foundation has a book on Fibromyalgia that I'm ordering for $17. There's an 800 number if anyone is interested: 800-283-7800 and the web site is Arthritis Foundation | Symptoms Treatments | Prevention Tips | Pain Relief Advice -- The book is called "Good Living With Fibromyalgia" and it offers information, stories and tips on how to cope with Fibromyalgia. I just noticed this on the back of the brochure called "Fibromyalgia. Understanding Generalized Fatigue and Management Options" -- my rheumatologist passed me this brochure yesterday, and to my surprise, the pamphlet says that while the majority of those afflicted with Fibromyalgia tend to be women, it does not discriminate against men... it's an equal opportunity syndrome, and chances are that it's really 50/50 because men are prone to toughing it out and not dragging themselves into doctors offices... thus underreported... You can probably call the Arthritis Foundation and ask for a free copy to be mailed to you as it's freely given away in doctors' offices.

Now if I can just get some sleep!

Weeza
Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
same planet...different world

I sleep four hours - then have to get up for about ten mins - then back for four more.

it's rare for me to lay there for five hours.

my doc talked to me about the magnesium thing as well.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Certified NA Counselor

I think this thread needs to be about Rheumatoid Arthritis instead.

a
andyaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Go ahead, andy. I'll jump in and commiserate!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
AJH 6/1/69-6/16/12
MLM 7/11/61-1/14/13
CAS 6/27/77-4/6/14

Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
same planet...different world

metoo.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Does rheumatoid arthritis have similar symptoms as Fibromyalgia? My doctor will be testing me for arthritis in three weeks. I guess I need to read up on the arthritis threads now...

But yes, any folks with arthritis may freely share in here as well as there's likely a relationship btw FM and arthritis...
Old 12-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

As far as I understand it, fibro, RA and lupus are all autoimmune disorders. My grandmother had lupus and I test positive for the rheumatoid factor and have a positive reaction to the ANA blood test but don't have rheumatoid arthritis. Or lupus.

I do have osteo arthritis in my hips. But that's a worn out bone issue, I think.

I woke up with very stiff and achy hands today. Had terrible dreams that made me cry. I was able to get out of the house and I think just getting the bit of sunshine and exercise helped. Tummy is not very happy and I may have to get my Librax refilled. I'm going to use the good old hot water bottle tonight and see if that will help.

I hope everyone is feeling better today.

Love,

Lenina