Alcohol Free Beer Bar - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
saoutchik

Alcohol Free Beer Bar

For obvious reasons I don't post many photos of bars on SR but I think this is a worthy exception.

Just opened and sited in Old Street in London N1, (a few hundred metres from where I live) the owners of this slightly nondescript looking bar claim that it is the world's first alcohol-free beer bar. It should be noted that the owners also own a chain of craft beer bars across the UK so it is not something started by idealists hoping to break even, it is there to make a profit.

As a recovering alcoholic myself I do not drink no alcohol beer or any other n/a drinks in case it triggers but I do think that for the non addicted public in general this is is a small but good development. Incidentaly the last time I tried an n/a beer was about 20 years ago and it was revolting but I expect things have moved on a bit since then.

As I say they are a commercial business so I won't link to their website but there is enough info in the post to find it should anyone want to read more.

I reckon that larger cities should be able to support a couple of such ventures. I would be interested to read your opinions on this and on n/a beers in general.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20200108_173039.jpg (41.1 KB, 89 views)
saoutchik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saoutchik For This Useful Post:
HeadEast (02-13-2020), Mags1 (01-08-2020), Opivotal (01-08-2020), silversky (01-09-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020), theVman31 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
saoutchik

A closer pic of the blurb...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20200108_180435.jpg (28.5 KB, 87 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saoutchik For This Useful Post:
Mags1 (01-08-2020), Opivotal (01-08-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020), theVman31 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
saoutchik

Btw, the reason it is empty is because the pics were taken on my way to the station to commute - 7 45am ish.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saoutchik For This Useful Post:
Mags1 (01-08-2020), Opivotal (01-08-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020), theVman31 (01-08-2020), trailmix (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the post and pics Saou. I looked at a news report and pics of it, curious for some reason.
I’m trying to think like a normie and how I would’ve reacted to an AF bar when I was younger.
It reminds me of when I was younger a wine bar opening. Very yuppie, very overpriced and for me, no atmosphere.
I really don’t get it.
If you want an alcohol free evening out, I guess it’s a go-to place to meet people, but if you really want Alcohol Free only 5 of the 15 drinks are completely 0% alcohol. The others being very low alcohol.

What day is it today?”asked Pooh.
“It’s today.” squeaked Piglet.
“My favourite day.” said Pooh
. ❤️
Mags1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mags1 For This Useful Post:
saoutchik (01-09-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020), trailmix (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think it's just good marketing. I looked at the website, food looks good!

I mean really it's just a restaurant that also serves n/a drinks. Then again I don't like the taste of any beer lol - so perhaps I'm not their target market!

Is there a big market of n/a aficionados out there?
trailmix is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trailmix For This Useful Post:
Mags1 (01-08-2020), saoutchik (01-09-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

At the end of my drinking I was just a lone drinker at home so pubs are not somewhere I regularly frequented.

Just lately I have been noticing pubs more than ever. On a freezing cold wet day whilst walking past a cosy looking pub I have thought how nice it looked. Obviously I don't go in but maybe if an alcohol free pub opened up near to me with a similar ambience I might be tempted.

So somewhere cosier than a coffee shop, maybe an open fire, nice people and pub grub would be nice. Or maybe my AV is just being a sneak and trying to tell me I am missing out on something.
Mags1 (01-08-2020), saoutchik (01-09-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

We've got this movement in the US and I think it's great. A big example is Sans Bar, with locations and events in different cities. Founded in Austin TX.

Most people are normal drinkers- lots can take it or leave. Here in the metro Atlanta area, a law was passed a number of years ago that in order for smoking to be allowed, a place had to be 18 and up. So restaurants with popular bars had to decide that - and plenty of people don't like "going out" to smoky places so that was popular. Bars, in the classic sense, generally had that element.

Also the mocktail movement has been huge. Very creative options abound in many places now. Events and socialization has progressed relative to the customary and I believe as the critical conversation everyone should have re drinking all of this is positive.

Quote:
"Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice in Wonderland
August252015 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to August252015 For This Useful Post:
Mags1 (01-09-2020), saoutchik (01-09-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
saoutchik

Yes, mocktails are quite popular here too, even I have had a couple over Christmas which is curious really as I hardly ever drunk actual cocktails when I was drinking.

Like Mags mentioned, I tried to put myself in a normie mindset and I came to the conclusion that as a young person I could easily see myself and friends meeting there for an hour or two and then going on somewhere else and drinking alcoholic drinks. The net result might be going home after a night out having consumed 50% or thereabouts of the alcohol that would otherwise been consumed so I do think it is a small but positive development in our booze culture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoutchik For This Useful Post:
Mags1 (01-09-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

My wife and I frequently eat at the bar in restaurants, because our server is always in front of us.

We've gotten quite used to it.

I could have never done it early on in recovery, but there were many things which made me uncomfortable back then that I (wisely, i think) avoided.

I drank several 6 packs a day of beer, so it pretty much owned my life.

I liked the hard stuff, too, though, make no mistake.

I just can't bring myself to drink a no alcohol beer.

It sounds tasty, but I won't go near it.

Giving it up is a sacrifice I have made and the rewards have dwarfed all that I had to give up.
“All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn. American writing comes from that. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since.” - Ernest Hemingway, Green Hills of Africa
SoberCAH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoberCAH For This Useful Post:
Mags1 (01-14-2020), saoutchik (02-04-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
saoutchik

I was going to start a new thread but this article sort of fits in here. I went too far down the path of alcoholism for non-alcoholic beers, wines and spirits to be of use to me but for the normie who is looking to reduce his or her consumption then I think they have a place.

Interesting that a couple of people mentioned that it enables them to "join in" and be sociable which is one of the bugbears of quitting or even of being a drinker who is just not drinking that particular day.

'It's nicer than alcohol-free wine': readers on non-alcoholic beer

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...y_to_clipboard
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoutchik For This Useful Post:
SoberCAH (02-14-2020), STDragon (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

I never drank wine for the taste, just for the buzz, so na wine has no attraction for me.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
STDragon (02-04-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
No Dogma Please

I got a certification in wine from the WSET, which is a fairly big deal. Oddly enough, I don't miss the taste of wine at all now.

Beer is another story, and I drink NA beer with certain foods, particularly Asian and Mexican. I like it because it's a choice when eating out, I don't drink soda or lemonade, and water and ice tea get old. Mocktails can also be fun.

I'm not triggered, possibly because I didn't drink wine and beer alcoholically. I saved that for vodka shooters at home by myself after the fancy wine dinners.

If you are triggered or have a zero-tolerance for alcohol (no wine in cooking, etc) be aware that most NA beers are actually about a half-percent, about 1/8 the strength of a very light beer.

I'm very happy that restaurants and bars are including non-alcoholic options. It's not just for those in recovery. Some people might not want to drink that day, or that week, or whatever, or are temporarily on medication that contraindicates drinking, or pregnant/supporting a pregnant partner.
MindfulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
least (02-16-2020)