High Profile People in Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

High Profile People in Recovery

I'll start this out by saying that I do not personally agree with transgressing the 11th AA Tradition prohibiting AA members from breaking their anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

But I still think it's helpful when people with a high public profile get and stay sober.

I'll start with Elton John.

My wife and I saw him in concert a few nights ago (he sang 25-30 songs, as always).

During his show, he would periodically have a direct dialogue with the audience regarding personal matters in his life.

And he opened up and made himself vulnerable with the crowd.

About 2/3 of the way through the show, he leaned against the piano (while remaining seated on his bench) and disclosed the he had some very serious personal problems which came to a head, so to speak, in 1991.

He said that he had 2 choices - namely, continue on down the path of self-destruction and let the natural consequences of that lifestyle play out or "ask for help".

He said, "I chose the latter".

And then he said, "I got clean, and I got sober."

To which SoberCAH jumped up clapping and yelled "Hell, yeah!!!!".

My wife laughed.

He then went on to urge people with problems, even with some that are very difficult to talk about, to similarly ask for help.

THIS MAN, notwithstanding all of the costumes (dressing like either Ben Franklin or the Queen), the eyeglasses and having the media and paparazzi follow him around, IS AS REAL AS IT GETS.

He never mentioned 12 step programs, nor did he beat his chest about his own successes in sobriety.

He just urged people with problems, particularly our type of issues, to seek help.

With that interaction, and some other heartfelt comments about his AIDS-relief efforts and retiring to spend all of his time with his newfound family, what should have simply been a highly entertaining evening became an enriching experience.

I know others on our forums have high profile people who have been inspirational to them.

So let's hear about them.
“All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn. American writing comes from that. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since.” - Ernest Hemingway, Green Hills of Africa
SoberCAH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SoberCAH For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (11-03-2019), Dee74 (11-03-2019), least (11-03-2019), Meshelly (11-10-2019), Opivotal (11-03-2019), Soberwolf (11-06-2019), Steely (01-06-2020), TimeToChill (02-10-2020), whopper (11-03-2019)