SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Recovery, Addiction, and Alcoholism in the News, Movies, and Pop Culture (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/recovery-addiction-alcoholism-news-movies-pop-culture/)
-   -   Rocketman (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/recovery-addiction-alcoholism-news-movies-pop-culture/438986-rocketman.html)

Anna 06-01-2019 06:31 PM

Rocketman

I just got home from seeing Rocketman, the Elton John movie. Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be so emotional, but, I cried...a lot. What a great movie, and of course, what a happy ending. Elton has been sober for 28 years now. :) The music is great!

Helianthus 06-01-2019 07:47 PM

I can't wait to see it I loved Taron Egerton in Eddie The Eagle, this one looks just as good!

Purplrks3647 06-01-2019 08:06 PM

Thanks Anna ~ I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

Nonsensical 06-02-2019 08:21 AM

I also saw it last night. The way they decided to tell the story really made an impression on me. Sir Elton walks into a rehab group, seats himself in the circle, lists his addictions, and starts telling his life story.

Good stuff.

SoberCAH 06-02-2019 02:31 PM

My wife and I can't wait to see this.

Elton has always put a great face on recovery.

Like Eric Clapton and Joe Walsh.

Dee74 06-02-2019 08:48 PM

I think it's a wonderful movie - as flamboyant & engaging as Elton himself and and ultimately celebratory about his survival :)

D

Ken33xx 06-02-2019 10:50 PM

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Very good movie.

Dropsie 06-03-2019 07:17 AM

Glad I read this -- saw the trailor and was totally put off -- now I will see it. Thanks.

SoberCAH 06-03-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7197296)
I think it's a wonderful movie - as flamboyant & engaging as Elton himself and and ultimately celebratory about his survival :)

D

Elton's flamboyancy is not remotely off-putting to me.

He appears to be, at his heart and from what I can discern from what he shares, a humble, grateful man.

The other stuff is just style and some character defects, not unlike some of my own.

He's always been a cool guy to me.

My wife and I are going to see him (again) on October 30.

We can't wait.

Purplrks3647 06-06-2019 02:08 AM

Still haven't seen it yet; I plan on going w/ my mom & she said "Think they can top Bohemian Rhapsody?" That's a tough one.....Any thoughts? :herewego

Anna 06-09-2019 04:51 PM

It's very different than Bohemian Rhapsody, which is a celebration of Freddie Mercury's brilliance. Rocketman is much more gritty and painful, yet so beautiful because Elton survives and thrives. And, the music is awesome. Both movies are great, but in different ways. :) One is not better than the other, in my opinion.

SoberCAH 06-12-2019 01:39 PM

We loved Bohemian Rhapsody.

It just didn't have a happy ending, which was quite a tragedy.

Purplrks3647 06-15-2019 04:54 PM

Just got back from seeing it....am I spoiling it by mentioning it's a musical? I was unaware of that; I cannot stand musicals....I enjoy most of Elton John's music and can appreciate what he went through, but I didn't enjoy the movie like I thought I would. That's just me though....

Dropsie 06-22-2019 05:22 PM

I also just saw it and did like it, but I agree the musical bit takes a bit of getting used to, but its soooo Elton. Fun and camp and so OTT. I will say that I preferred Bohemian Rhapsody, but totally a style thing. I also just saw Toy Story 4 and enjoyed it a lot, more than some of the franchise. So feel good, and who doesn't need that these days.

MindfulMan 07-01-2019 12:02 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody was a standout performance in a standard biopic. Rocketman was a standout performance in a stellar film.

I saw it with six people for my birthday and had no expectations. Thought I'd be the only person that liked it more than Bohemian Rhapsody. Turns out that all six of us did, although they are very different films.

I related to a lot of it, not just his addiction but also in coming to terms with his being gay. Kids today don't realize how hard that was to deal with in the 70s (and before). But I think the most relatable moment for me was when he looks in the mirror, sees a shell of a man looking back, and realizes he has to do something about his addictions. I think nearly every addict that enters recovery has that moment. I know I did, and it was exactly the same for me. After that look, I walked over to the phone and started making phone calls to find a treatment facility.

I found it a fantastic film, and despite the stereotypes of my people, I'm not a big musical person either.

Plus...I think we're seeing a Best Costumes Oscar..

MindfulMan 07-01-2019 12:04 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody was a standout performance in a standard biopic. Rocketman was a standout performance in a stellar film.

I saw it with six people for my birthday and had no expectations. Thought I'd be the only person that liked it more than Bohemian Rhapsody. Turns out that all six of us did, although they are very different films.

I related to a lot of it, not just his addiction but also in coming to terms with his being gay. Kids today don't realize how hard that was to deal with in the 70s (and before). But I think the most relatable moment for me was when he looks in the mirror, sees a shell of a man looking back, and realizes he has to do something about his addictions. I think nearly every addict that enters recovery has that moment. I know I did, and it was exactly the same for me. After that fateful look at myself in the mirror, I walked over to the phone and started making phone calls to find a treatment facility.

I found it a fantastic film, and I'm not a big musical person either.

Ken33xx 07-01-2019 02:27 PM

I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody largely because the actor who played Freddie M.

However, I am not much of a Queen fan but I am a big Elton John fan especially his 70's records. When I was fourteen I saw Elton John during the Caption Fantastic tour. He must have played for 2.5 hours and it was great show.

I thought the movie better than Bohemian Rhapsody and the actor who played EJ first-rate.

I gave it a 4.5 out of 5 because I could have done without the musical numbers.

SoberCAH 09-11-2019 11:53 AM

My wife and I rented Rocketman last night.

We loved it.

I really like the method employed by the writer of using an AA meeting as the vehicle for recounting Elton's life and feelings.

For those of us in AA, seeing the meeting as a place for sharing intimate feelings and fears was really just another day at the office.

Db1105 09-13-2019 07:59 AM

Elton is still in the midst of his final tour. Don't miss it. One of the greats!