Macklemore aka Ben Haggerty - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Life is good

Macklemore aka Ben Haggerty

A bit about Macklemore & recovery.

----
"It wasn't until 2008 that I first went to treatment for the first time. My dad approached me and asked me a very simple question: 'Are you happy?' And I was able to reflect for a little bit, was defensive at first, and then he brought up, 'You know, I think you should get treatment.' I wanted to think that I could do it on my own. I wanted to think that I could white-knuckle it and just stop. At that point, I had had over a decade of trying the same pattern, the insanity of thinking that I can just do this on my own. It wasn't until I went to rehab that I got the tools and opened up to a world of recovery that I didn't know existed. Opened up to a community of people that share the same disease that I have. They were going through the same struggles. You know, I wish that I could say that that was the last time I took a drink or used a drug but, um, it's not. I've been in and out of the realms of recovery. I've struggled with addiction. I will continue to struggle with addiction in some facet for the rest of my life. It's something that for me, requires daily maintenance and the recovery community to really beat one day at a time. That's what I'm trying to do today: just show up, tap in, and get through the day and live the honest rigorous program and a lifestyle that reflects my greatest potential and that's in sobriety and recovery."

Macklemore says 'not staying sober has been the worst' part of his music career

Drug addiction can happen to anyone, even Grammy-award winning musicians. Even though Macklemore has created songs that were on the Billboard Hot 100, won Grammys, and has successful albums, he still struggles with drug addiction and recovery. His story, whether you are a fan of his music or not, is known as an inspirational one.

"Adjusting to the fame in a condensed period and not staying sober has been the worst. There was a rapid transition and to have the world’s eye on me all at once with back-to-back No. 1s, and all the accolades that came with it -- I didn’t know how to deal with it. I didn’t know how to adjust, so I escaped."

Macklemore, 34, whose birth name is Ben Haggerty, was 15 years old when he was forced to confront his drug and alcohol addiction. By 2008, he was hospitalized for it and admitted himself into rehab. Six years later, he told Complex magazine that he had relapsed after abusing sleeping pills and marijuana.

"Dealing with the love, criticism and outside public perceptions is a balancing act. Over the years I figured out how to deal with it, and it’s by not giving a f. People always say, 'I don’t care what people think of me' but we all care! We are all insecure, and it’s a human fault that ties us all together, but when you can acknowledge that, you can work consistently in a spiritual practice that lessens how much you care."

"For me, turning my will over to a power greater than myself. A huge part of that comes with service work, it comes from going to 12-step-meetings, and it comes from working the steps in those 12-step-meetings — showing up for other alcoholics, being engaged, getting on the phone with someone that's struggling and going out to coffee, going to those meetings where I share my experience, strength, and hope, and I get to hear somebody else's. That is really the cornerstone of my recovery. And then continuing to just work it myself, holistically. Am I doing all the things that are going to be advantageous in my mental health today? Am I getting exercise? Am I eating healthy? Am I making music that is feeding my soul? All of those things also contribute to my recovery."
Mango212 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
AtomicBlue (05-26-2019), Dropsie (06-10-2019), mnjen (10-15-2018), Opivotal (10-15-2018), SoberCAH (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Life is good

More:

https://www.kexp.org/read/2018/5/24/...-starting-over
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
Dropsie (06-10-2019), Opivotal (10-15-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know who this gentleman is.

I take it he's a singer.

I sure like the way he has embraced recovery.

It certainly portends well for his future.
SoberCAH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoberCAH For This Useful Post:
Dropsie (06-10-2019), Mango212 (10-21-2018), Opivotal (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Life is good

https://youtu.be/XusIbMY2Mig

Good Old Days

Wish I didn't think I had the answers
Wish I didn't drink all of that glass first
Wish I made it to homecoming
Got up the courage to ask her
Wish I would've gotten out of my shell
Wish I put the bottle back on that shelf
Wish I wouldn't have worry about what other people thought
And felt comfortable in myself
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
Dropsie (06-10-2019), MindfulMan (05-29-2019), Opivotal (10-22-2018), SoberCAH (10-23-2018)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Life is good

Macklemore & 2016 White House panel regarding recovery, relapses and prescription drugs:

https://youtu.be/4YtjNNbcSc0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
Dropsie (06-10-2019), pdm22 (05-28-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Dogma Please

He recorded a gay rights song that's become somewhat of an anthem.

He also refused to marry his wife until EVERYONE had the right to marry, and was secretly wed shortly after the Supreme Court ruled that same-sex marriage was legal across America.

I love him as a musician, but I also love him as a gay ally. Also like his colleague eminem his support of sobriety is awesome as well.
MindfulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Dropsie (06-10-2019), SoberCAH (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Dogma Please

MindfulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

He is a big deal as an artist too. Headlining the Werchter festival in Belgium, which is the continent's version of Glastonberry and Conchella.

About eninem, what do others think about his violent lyrics about women?
Old 11-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Life is good

Macklemore's priority to his 'daily recovery program' is the core of his success in all areas of life.

I'm grateful for and appreciate people speaking openly and honestly about their solid recovery.

Can't Hold Us
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton

https://youtu.be/2zNSgSzhBfM
Old 12-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Life is good

Deep honesty. A New Year's 2014 interview. I absolutely appreciate the words about protecting/being aware of recovery and what it takes to stay centered in it.

https://youtu.be/eD7-qGmFTQE

"Be grateful. Be happy. And enjoy this..."