Blogs

Notices

post?

Old 11-02-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HFA

post?

Not sure if this is the kinda thing people post in here or if this is more suitable for the newcomers daily stuff...
Saturday was normally my drinking day. Get up get some beers do some work.. Drink all day work all day.

So IT is all excited about tomorrow. I can feel it stirring just thinking about it. IT is quite loud.

Wait until tomorrow and IT's stupid ass realized I'm in control and I'm serious.

I do not drink and I will never change my mind.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HFA For This Useful Post:
Carlotta (11-02-2018), Dee74 (11-02-2018), dwtbd (11-03-2018), freshstart57 (11-03-2018), PhoenixJ (11-10-2018), topspin (11-04-2018), Wholesome (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your AV will quiet down over time, but in the beginning IT can be a nuisance. I found switching up my routine helped. I used a lot of distraction in the early days. I also found it easier when I didn't allow myself to start engaging in those inner debates, they can wear a person down, much easier not to go there. AVRT is a learned skill, as you learn it you will get better and better at recognizing and dismissing your AV and filtering out those thoughts that come from your Beast.

Also don't forget you have nothing to fear from AV activity. They are just thoughts, and although they can feel like they must be respected or obeyed - they don't - and they will pass.

Post where ever you feel comfortable. Personally, I posted down here in the secular/permanent abstinence forums, because I was interested in hearing from certain people who understood AVRT and had used it to succeed. I found SR to be in invaluable tool, it's free, it's available 24/7, and there is a treasure trove of information on how to quit here, plus the community is wonderful.

Congrats on making your BP! I have always said, and will continue to say, that making mine was the best decision I have ever made. We all deserve a life free from the bondage and misery of alcoholism, it's no way to live.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
dwtbd (11-03-2018), freshstart57 (11-03-2018), GerandTwine (11-03-2018), HFA (11-03-2018), Kaily (11-03-2018), topspin (11-04-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
HFA

Still here

Well still here. AV is playing the foul mood angry card. Everything is getting on my nerves. 'Have a beer to unwind' it keeps saying. I keep telling it no. If it wouldn't keep pushing up things to agrivate me it wulsnt be an issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HFA For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (11-08-2018), Wholesome (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone has things that aggravate them - especially in early recovery.

We can train ourselves to react differently, over time but for now, we just have to hold firm to the idea that drinking or using is not an appropriate or effective response to that aggravation?

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Wholesome (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by HFA
Well still here. AV is playing the foul mood angry card.
HFA,

So, now that you’ve made your Big Plan - I will never drink again - your Addictive Voice is moody and angry?

Cool! Way to go! Your poor little BEAST is all scared of your absolute control over it and that you can abstain perfectly for the rest of your life.

Everything is getting on my nerves.
Wait. What are you saying? Your nerves? You’re saying YOU are moody and angry because you can’t get stupid drunk? Don’t you mean “Everything is getting on ITS nerves?”

'Have a beer to unwind' it keeps saying.
It sounds like you’re saying your AV is dancing around happy and tempting, and YOU are angry and moody. That’s the opposite of Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.

I keep telling it no.
Wrong, YOU are not telling it “no”. IT is the one who is telling YOU “no”.

IT likes YOU to play the game IT is Mommy and YOU are a 2 year old wanting to get into the cookie jar (booze bottle).

“No” just means “Later” when you’ve been good and practiced some self-denial for a little while.

In Addictive Voice Recognition Technique the ONLY way EVER to react to the Addictive Voice saying ‘Have a beer to unwind’ is say “NEVER” (not “no”) and simply repeat what you have already decided - “I WILL NEVER DRINK AGAIN!”

Every time you think of drinking THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO. And after that ten-second-long interruption in your life is over, just get on with what you were doing.

If what you were doing is something you don’t really like to do, there absolutely NO reason that activity has anything to do with you getting drunk again.

I’ll leave YOU do the Addictive Voice Recognition Technique on the last sentence in your AV’s post.

If it wouldn’t keep pushing up things to agrivate me it wulsnt be an issue.
Let us know what you come up with.

GT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GerandTwine For This Useful Post:
Kaily (11-09-2018), Wholesome (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's true that the word NEVER is a game changer.

If you want to slay the Beast then NEVER is your sword!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (11-09-2018), Kaily (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
HFA,

It sounds like you’re saying your AV is dancing around happy and tempting, and YOU are angry and moody. That’s the opposite of Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.

IT likes YOU to play the game IT is Mommy and YOU are a 2 year old wanting to get into the cookie jar (booze bottle).

GT
Thank you for the awesome feed back. Could you elaborate on the who is telling whom "no" part?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
HFA,
...... I’ll leave YOU do the Addictive Voice Recognition Technique on the last sentence in your AV’s post.

>>>>If it wouldn’t keep pushing up things to agrivate me it wulsnt be an issue.<<<<<<

Let us know what you come up with.

GT
That I am not getting angry or aggravated because there is no alch. IT is angry and aggravated. That IT Is not making ME aggravated.

I had stated that I was getting aggravated because IT was pushing up things to make ME aggravated. I failed to seperate the feelings of IT from the feelings of ME.
I am hearing ITs aggravation. These are not mine to even be bothered with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HFA For This Useful Post:
GerandTwine (11-09-2018), soberlicious (11-21-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by HFA
Originally Posted by GerandTwine
HFA,

GT
Thank you for the awesome feed back. Could you elaborate on the who is telling whom "no" part?
The Big Plan - “I will NEVER drink again.” - (with the shatteringly operative word “NEVER”) is SO unique and superlative that any time the harmless thoughts of drinking come to mind in someone who has MADE the Big Plan, ANY RESPONSE OTHER THAN “NEVER AGAIN” DOES OBVIOUSLY HAVE TO COME FROM THE BEAST’S ADDICTIVE VOICE.

The Beast, (that residual ancient appetite alcohol-pleasure-seeking force imbedded within your midbrain) knows its ONLY option against YOUR “NEVER AGAIN” is to chip away at it by trying to get YOU to NOT use it in your thinking as a response to “DRINK”. That’s what it got you to do. “NO” means “LATER” to the Beast. Its just that simple.

Do you realize how hard it is to get alcohol down your throat without your knowing about it? Of course you do. If you have made a Big Plan, there is NO WAY that alcohol can get down your throat, ever.

You see, the “NEVER AGAIN” not only gets you (1) past your addiction, it does two other very nice things. (2) It gets you past your recovery. (3) It gets you back to a lifestyle that involves spending only a few minutes per year at most in “dealing with” thoughts of drinking some more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GerandTwine For This Useful Post:
HFA (11-10-2018), Kaily (11-10-2018), soberlicious (11-21-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

support to you
The Following User Says Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
HFA (11-10-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HFA

Is this sub forum always this quiet?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HFA- you will get more replies if you join in on some of the more mainstream threads- example, I joined the 'Class of March 2016' thread and check in most days. I get to know a core group of people, some of which I consider friends. There is a thread for reporting in every 24, a weekender's thread, One year and under, etc. For a little humour (that helps greatly 0 the Lighter Side one.

Support to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
Anna (11-19-2018)