Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Permanent Abstinence Based Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do addicted people view the people helping them learn How to Recover?

How do addicted people view the people helping them learn How to Recover?

Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by MIndfulMan
Tough if your parents were abusive alcoholic drug addicts.
"Native beliefs" to me aren't just things that are taught. They can be instinctual-from your gut. I think of my mother, who is 77 now, raised in the deep south during segregation. She tells me she remembers sitting in places as a small child, like the doctor's waiting room in a comfy chair, while black families waited outside. She saw this all day every day everywhere and never felt comfortable with it. Even as a young child, on some level she recognized that her privilege based only on skin color was wrong. That belief certainly wasn't encouraged or taught...where did it come from? Perhaps it was a native belief?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Yeah...not just the QUILTBAG issue, there are other issues that fall under that umbrella that I won't name in the interest of keeping this site apolitical. ;-) Just as I won't go into my feelings on Tripey's politics.
You're not doing anyone any favors by conflating Jack Trimpey's personal beliefs with AVRT itself. Although Jack synthesized AVRT from the input of the self-recovered population, and he owns the trademarks to it, AVRT is not dependent on Jack Trimpey. It is simply a body of knowledge.

Your sentiments are largely a rehash of the very same ones raised early on in the original AVRT discussion thread, and which were wisely addressed at the onset. I view it largely as a diversion, personally.

Even Jon Heller, who founded Sober Recovery, despite his disagreements with Jack's ideas, nevertheless stated in his posts on the RR forums that Jack was onto something with AVRT. I would have to search through the RR forum archives to find it, but it is in there somewhere.

There is a certain amount of acceptance that happened, even though it was formally to a "Higher Power." That jazz didn't work for me at all. Try doing Step 2 and 3 when you're a stone cold agnostic and the idea of moving your locus of control externally is anathema. I'm sure I'm largely preaching to the choir here, and is why I stopped going to 12 Step meetings.
That may be so, but you have nonetheless internalized many of their ideas -- such as abstinence being inferior to sobriety -- and are espousing them.

I really like the Serenity Prayer, if you take out the "God grant me..." part and replace it with "May I have the..."
Jack believes in G-d devoutly, from what he's written, yet his method does not place finding G-d as an obstacle to recovery, or encourage atheists to convert in order to recover. That's more than can be said for many ardent secularists or ardent religionists.

He has his personal beliefs, certainly, but OTOH, he's far more reasonable than many would make him out to be. Conversely, without his 'dogmatic' approach, I'm not certain that the space for the 'alternatives' would even exist. Someone had to do what he did in order to make change possible.

Something to consider.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Even Jon Heller, who founded Sober Recovery, despite his disagreements with Jack's ideas, nevertheless stated in his posts on the RR forums that Jack was onto something with AVRT. I would have to search through the RR forum archives to find it, but it is in there somewhere.
I never said that AVRT was without value.

That may be so, but you have nonetheless internalized many of their ideas -- such as abstinence being inferior to sobriety -- and are espousing them.
I do believe that. I also disagree with the 12 Step insistence that sobriety is defined by working the steps and finding "spiritual growth" that way. That can work for some, for sure.

I don't intrinsically value any recovery method over any other. Different approaches work for different people. A synthesis of many approaches is what works for me.

If there are things I disagree with about any particular approach I'm pretty sure I'm free to espouse them. Every organization has its share of BS.

Jack believes in G-d devoutly, from what he's written, yet his method does not place finding G-d as an obstacle to recovery, or encourage atheists to convert in order to recover. That's more than can be said for many ardent secularists or ardent religionists.

He has his personal beliefs, certainly, but OTOH, he's far more reasonable than many would make him out to be. Conversely, without his 'dogmatic' approach, I'm not certain that the space for the 'alternatives' would even exist. Someone had to do what he did in order to make change possible.

Something to consider.
The more I hear about Tripley, the more he seems to leader of a cult of personality, and the more similarities I see between him and Bill W.

He is also not singularly responsible for the secular recovery movement, although he certainly had an influence in the late 80s through the mid-90s. 12 Step is only half the "recovery" game in Europe and Australia, unlike here in the US. There are many other approaches to recovery that aren't based on 12 Step. Or God, for that matter.

So he's not "ardent." So what.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we should avoid the personal Trimpey subject.
I might get triggered.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So he's not "ardent." So what.
It has to do with item #12 in GerandTwine's original informed consent post that started this thread:
12. Your own native beliefs and original family values are the best ones upon which to base addiction recovery.

And with your question earlier:

I find the use of the terms "family values" and "native beliefs" in #12 very ambiguous. My original question was what they mean in the context of your OP.
He is saying that you don't need to find a new design for living, or a new way of life, in order to recover from substance addiction. You can stay who you are, and recover nonetheless.