AVRT Explained (long)

Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this post freshstart. I have been looking for a secular way to frame my recovery and you have brought it to me.

I feel free.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You feel free because you are free.

Glad you're here.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
OK, I need this also to be very clear. I am talking about only my sobriety. Mine. Not anyone else's sobriety, especially not yours. I am not criticizing anyone who does not think as I do about their own sobriety as I do about mine. I have no right to do that. I know that there are many ways to get to sober, and this one is mine.

Here is what I am asking of you, XXXXX. I am asking you to accept that what I have described above is real, and true, to accept this as fact, just like the sun rises. I am asking you to accept that this is true and real for me. I have decided that I have the power to believe this 'mind trick' as true, and I hold this belief very very strongly simply because my sobriety and my life depend on it. This belief allows me to be sober, and sober for good, no matter what ever might happen, however I might feel.

I hope you understand a little more about my sobriety, and thanks for listening to me.
Thank you! I now understand a lot more about your sobriety. Whatever works baby! Addiction is WAY too dangerous and destructive to quibble about how best to recover and who's sobriety is better!

Sincerely,
XXXXX

Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed recent posts that were off topic including those about AA.

12 step posts are off topic on the Secular Connections forum, but may be posted on the Secular 12 Step forum.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks for a great post!! I have not had a drink in four days, and I will never have another one. I knew my ex-husband had a fatty liver, but I found out on Sunday night that the liver disease is progressing, so I did some research (Monday night) and the results scared me so much that I woke up on Tuesday and decided I had to quit. Joined SR and luckily stumbled onto AVRT--it made perfect sense to me!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Great post and thanks I have been reading a bit about AVRT and RR but it's great to hear how someone has implemented it. Gives me an option other than my fading involvement with AA/NA.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pdoc View Post
Gives me an option other than my fading involvement with AA/NA.
I can think of more still. So have you, you're here.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

So, is the Rational Recovery model that simple?
Do I need to find books or something?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
I think for some people the simple concept is enough but there are books you can buy if you wanted a better understanding of the model.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi Reckless. I found both the Rational Recovery website to be helpful (just google Rational Recovery, it will be the first site listed), and I've also read the book, Rational Recovery, the New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey.

I'm not sure I would call it simple, but it's not hard or a lifelong process. It's as the author calls it "a thinking skill". It's all about the decision to quit, once and for all, no if, ands or buts.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like to think that yes, it really is that simple - the degree of difficulty is completely up to you. You can twist hankies and fuss and fret, or say that's enough, I deserve a better life than a drunk's, and I am damn well going to have it. No matter what. And this is how I am going to do it.

The New Cure book is available from the RR website, and also of course from a number of online booksellers too. While you are waiting for your copy to arrive, please look at the RR - AVRT website and look at The Crash Course in AVRT.

A big part of success in this or any challenging endeavour is belief in self. You can do this, RecklessEric, you can make the forever choice and decide to get that life worth living. I know you have it within you to win.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

awesome.
I needed to read this thread after being on here for a couple months. I've hit a wall and am so glad I decided to come down this way
I'll be ordering this book ASAP.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

After reading, and rereading, the last few posts, including mine, I feel compelled to add this.

I am a Big Booker and currently learning how to thump with, properly I hope. I feel it probably saved my life although I got damn near death before I was able to follow it's simple, but difficult for me, instructions... thoroughly, as prescribed by it. During the time it took me to do this, I found SR, and became educated a bit in other paths.

In spite of the rather high cost of this path, in terms of time and therefore everything else, I have no regrets now of winding along it because I believe that I'm probably stronger and better than I would have been, certainly than I have been, ever, for winding up on it.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
After reading, and rereading, the last few posts, including mine, I feel compelled to add this.

I am a Big Booker and currently learning how to thump with, properly I hope. I feel it probably saved my life although I got damn near death before I was able to follow it's simple, but difficult for me, instructions... thoroughly, as prescribed by it. During the time it took me to do this, I found SR, and became educated a bit in other paths.

In spite of the rather high cost of this path, in terms of time and therefore everything else, I have no regrets now of winding along it because I believe that I'm probably stronger and better than I would have been, certainly than I have been, ever, for winding up on it.
dSober I certainly respect your sobriety, but what do your comments have to do with AVRT?
Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

maybe it was posted in the wrong thread? LOL

I wish I could print off some stuff and bring it all with me to jail to read on my weekends

boo
Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
dSober I certainly respect your sobriety, but what do your comments have to do with AVRT?
My intention was to help keep an open mind, myself first, hopefully without offending anyone. My earlier post #83 explains more. I found that one method alone was not quite enough to save my butt.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

very well done.
This speaks loudly to me.
Thank you FS57 for caring enough to do this for us!
Take care, eh.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Perfectly stated. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

OMG about this thread. I realize it's older but I have to thank you freshstart. After 5 1/2 months of sobriety, this is exactly what I need.

Lately, it is as if I've been under this hopeless, worthless, needy kind of cloud and I'm not that kind of person. AA and NA both helped at the beginning but yet again it cannot take me the whole way because it is causing me to second guess myself and continually look at what I'm doing wrong. Blessings to both organizations and the help they give to people though. But I'm not one who needs that constant coddling and it really starts to get on my nerves listening day after day about how hopeless I am having a disease that is going to have to be managed every $!!$ day.

Granted I never understood this thinking until now. I UNDERSTAND IT!! AVRT is what I need to take back my power, my control of MY life. I UNDERSTAND because I quit smoking when I was 19 years old, cold turkey, and never suffered under it's influence again because I was sure. I am sure now with AVRT.

THANK YOU so much for your post - the post that keeps on giving and giving years later.

Audra
Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

And this, my friends, is how it's done.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ck-bottom.html

I am no longer counting the days, I dont care.
I am no longer convincing myself I am normal, I am clearly not.
I have stopped lying to myself and have forgiven myself.

This time its not about getting to week 1 or month 1 or even year 1, this is clear as glass to me, I am just not going to start drinking again ever.