Notices

Rise in deaths from synthetic opioids

Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rise in deaths from synthetic opioids

In 2016, opioids — including prescription opioids such as oxycodone as well as heroin and fentanyl — killed 42,000 people, according to the CDC. That was up from 33,000 opioid-related deaths in 2015.

The CDC researchers attributed much of the increase to the rise in deaths from synthetic opioids not including methadone, which includes the illegally-manufactured fentanyl. Synthetic opioid deaths rose from 9,580 in 2015 to more than 19,000 in 2016, the report showed. [America's Opioid-Use Epidemic: 5 Startling Facts]

On average, in the United States, 115 people die every day from an opioid overdose, the CDC said.

In fact, opioids appear to be shaving time off the average U.S. life expectancy: A report released in September 2017 revealed that opioid-related deaths accounted for 0.21 years of life expectancy lost between 2000 and 2015, according to the report.

In a statement released Monday (July 16) and reported by the AP, Redford said, "It's important for society to embrace and support families who are fighting to win the battle of addiction — because stigma is the enemy of public health."

Fentanyl is 30 to 50 times more potent than heroin, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. It's also cheaper than other drugs, offering "a high profit margin for traffickers," the DEA says. As such, manufacturers often mix it into counterfeit opioid pills. Since the substance is more potent than the drugs it's being mixed with, "it only takes a very small amount of fentanyl to cause a severe or potentially deadly reaction. As little as two milligrams is a lethal dosage in most people," the DEA says.

Originally published on Live Science.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My stepson started in on heroin last year some time. We aren't sure when. It is stunning how quickly addictive it is. I hope he finds his way some day.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My niece is addicted to heroin for three years. She graduated high school with a 3.8 not trying to hard she's very smart ready for a a great life ahead of her. Owe how quickly it changed. Her Aunt died from it Angel was her name R.I.P. My old crew leader rough framing carpentry Frank took his own life after a battle with oxycotin R.I.P. Frank . I cared for both of them. My niece I heard is in rehab and going to live in a living sober house when she gets out. I'm starting to cry just writing about her.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope your niece finds her way, max! I'll keep her in my prayers.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes to your niece dsmaxis.