Notices

Tips from my Quit

Old 05-02-2006, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lightbulb Tips from my Quit

Tips from my quit that may help you with yours...

Glad you've made the decision to quit smoking Have you set your date? Do so, and then, get prepared for this journey. It has twists and turns; stumbling and straight paths, but, it's your journey. Here's how I made mine. Hope it helps.

Clean your house of all smoking stuff -- ashtrays, lighters...anything else associated with smoking. Visual reminders can cause a craving to come out of nowhere.

You've got to decide if you're going to use any help. I used patches. I also used the gum too --but, when I was driving only. That's when a craving would hit bad Are you going to use Zyban? It helped me. BUt, you've got to start it two weeks before your quit, so, plan ahead. I also went to group smoke cessation counseling. I used any and all methods to get me through.

Each state received funds from the tobacco settlement. They were supposed to use it for prevention and cessation programs, (though some have not.) You can call your town counsel or state representative to find out if your state has it or not. (If not, find out what they did with the money ) If you live in RI or Mass, you can call 1 - 800 - trytostop. There's a website anyone can go to. It's www.trytostop.org . You'll find much help there too.

Also, call the American Cancer Society toll free at 1-800-ACS-2345 to request self help materials.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/c...rs_Can_Quit.asp

They sent me materials and also hooked me up with phone counseling.

The biggest thing I learned with the group and telephone counseling is this: Focus on your behaviors. Choose to do the next right thing, choice by choice, no matter what. The urges WILL come. But you do not have to succumb to them.

Plan for the times you know you will want a cigarette. What will you do when you are on the phone? Having your morning coffee? Driving?
What about when you're in a situation where others are smoking? What will you do?
How about drinking? You need to assess your group of behaviors that will help you get through these times, and develop more behaviors too.

It helps to change things around too. For example, drive to work a different way. Move the furniture around in the house. Sit in a different chair for your coffee time and hold the phone in the opposite hand. Drink tea instead of coffee in the morning. All these changes help us with our quit. We are not doing things automatically anymore, but, consciously aware of our movements. That helps us remain conscious of our desire to smoke too. We no longer do things in an automatic manner. We remain mindful.

It is also important to develop new skills for yourself. For example, I joined the gym. I joined the chorus. These healthy behaviors helped me overcome the negative behaviors of smoking. And they serve as a good reminder for me. (Though I did have to quit chorus...I just didn't have the time.) They help me remember why I want to quit, (start of COPD), and if I DO slip, it will give me a really quick reminder by causing my symptoms to return. In both scenarios, I benefit from developing healthy, positive addictions to replace the negative ones.

You WILL have cravings. Some will be strong. But, the new behaviors that you adopt will help you get through them. It takes only six weeks for new behaviors to become habits. And one thing I've learned is that cravings became much easier for me to take; much less potent, when I accepted them. I watched them come and go. I laughed at them, recognizing them for what they really were -- the nicodemon calling me back to death.

Finally, when things were at the worst, I relied on a tip that my friend gave me to get through it. My own personalized mantra. I choose one that had spiritual meaning for me, but, it can be anything. Mine was Hebrew, “nais gadol haya po ” It means, “A great miracle is happening here ” And it WAS a miracle for me After 36 years of smoking, I was quitting one day at a time.

One last thing my smoke cessation counselor said. Cinnamon sticks help with cravings. Something in the cinnamon does it. As a side benefit, it also is a slight appetite suppressant If you're worried about weight, it can help. Now, personally, I didn't like the sticks. Reminded me too much of smoking. But, I now chew cinnamon gum on occasion.

I hope these things help you in your quit. Focus on behaviors is my main statement. That's what's gotten me to Five months, three days, 3 hours, 1 minute and 22 seconds smoke free. That's 6165 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,694.92. Life saved: 3 weeks, 9 hours, 45 minutes.

Good luck, and remember to check in on the daily check in thread. That day to day support and accountability keeps me on track

Keep the quit and post before you puff

Shalom!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you teach!

Hey !! I dont know if you remember me but we corresponded a while back on the naranon forum here.

Thanks for the tips teach. I'm a 4 pack a dayer down to half a pack wearing a patch. I stopped for 10 days while in the hospital.

I dont take my smokes with me when I go out - so its when I'm home at the computer my biggest downfall. Even with pistachio nuts near by. I will stay here and keep reading and hopefully be encouraged.

Hey Teach!! - we got a lot in common - smoking for 35 years here also.

Thanks for the quit tips.

peace and love
michael
Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Michael!
Yes, I DO remember you!

I'm really proud of your accomplishment -- but please do be careful about smoking with the patch...it can be really bad for you too...right?

Keep on doing the next right thing, Michael...choice after choice....
You CAN do this...and we're here to support you!

Shalom!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

“nais gadol haya po ”
how is this pronounced, would like to use it.
thanx
x
Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'll try to spell the first word phonetically...
ny ees
gadol, sounds like ha dol
haya like hi ya
po like poe

So, nyees gadol hi ya poe

Does that help?

A great miracle is happening here!
Yes, it is!

Shalom!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FROG....Fully Relying On God

Thanks Teach.....I am on my ninth day smoke-free....wooohooo!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Congratulations, thejig!!!
Made it through hell week, and almost past heck week! Yea!!!
Keep up the good work.

Today, I am One year, one month, four weeks, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 2 seconds smoke free. That's 16924 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,654.18. Life saved: 8 weeks, 2 days, 18 hours, 20 minutes.

Remember to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!