Notices

Countdown to quitting

Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

DAY 32 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Avoiding risks

One of the new skills you need to learn is how to avoid risky situations.

These are the places or activities that you used to associate with smoking and may still give you a strong urge to smoke.

Stay away from smoke. Some people are so addicted that they can't stop smoking near you. You will have to find ways of avoiding their smoke - but not avoiding them! (After all, they're still part of your life, right?) Why not go outside for a short walk when they light up, so that you can avoid the temptation. Do what you have to do until you are truly an ex-smoker. You know it's worth it.

Stay away from smoky places. For example, now is not the time to be going to a party where there will be smokers. Be prepared to say no to some social events until you are absolutely sure that they will not tempt you to smoke.

Plan what you will say in advance. You could even see the scene in your mind's eye to help make it more real. If you find it really hard to say no, practise on a friend. There is always a way to say no politely. For example:
"Thank you so much for inviting me to your party. Normally, I would love to go, but not right now. You see, I'm trying to quit smoking and I'm afraid that if I go to your party I'll light up along with everyone else. I've worked so hard to stay off cigarettes so far that I don't want to blow it in one evening. I hope you'll understand and support me in my decision not to attend. If there is anything I can do to help you get ready for the party, I'd love to. That way, I could sort of participate without the danger of starting to smoke again."

If your circle of friends also spends a lot of time at smoky bars, you would be wise to convince them to join you in non-smoking social events for a few months. It is an awful lot to ask of yourself to not smoke when everyone around you is, especially if you have a drink in your hand.

© Health Canada
Old 11-03-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

DAY 33 - Learning to live without cigarettes

How to say "no" to a cigarette

Has someone offered you a cigarette since you quit? It's bound to happen, especially if you haven't told many people that you've quit. Saying no can be tricky if you've never had to do it before. Here are a few ways you could try:

The gentle NO:
No thanks. I am trying to quit.

The firm NO:
No thanks. I am trying to quit. If you want to help me, please do not offer me cigarettes anymore. I know you understand and that I can count on you to support my decision.

The funny NO:
No thanks. Smoking is bad for my skin (or: smoking causes impotence, etc.). I've quit and I'm taking up something far less dangerous: sky-diving!

The pregnancy or children NO:
No thanks. I don't want the smoke to harm my kids (or baby).

Whatever you do, don't give in to a cigarette just because you are feeling pressured. If you can't come right out and say no for whatever reason, make an excuse and walk away. Find a way to take the pressure off so that you don't take that first puff.

Smokers may tell you that just one puff won't hurt. They're wrong! One puff often leads to one cigarette. That's like giving yourself permission to smoke again. And that's just like giving up. After everything you've gone through in the last few weeks, do you really want to start quitting all over again? Stay firm. Stay proud. And stay smoke-free!

© Health Canada
Old 11-04-2005, 09:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

DAY 34 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Some tips to help you cope

By now, you should be almost completely over your physical addiction to nicotine. Your physical cravings have probably disappeared. But you may have realized that emotional and social cues can be almost as strong, or maybe even stronger.

You can take control! Here are some surprising ways of coping when you still want a cigarette.

* Start by having your dentist or dental hygienist clean your teeth to get rid of the stains.

* Brush your teeth frequently to keep them looking great.

* Carry a small bottle of mouthwash with you. Use it to cleanse your mouth and freshen your breath.

* Go to places where you know you can't smoke, such as smoke-free restaurants, libraries or the gym.

* Hang around with as many non-smokers as you can without completely abandoning the rest of your friends and family.

* Keep saving the money that you're not spending on cigarettes. Plan to use it for something special, such as a vacation, a DVD player or anything else that will motivate you to hang tough and not smoke.

* Do not, under any circumstances, buy a package of cigarettes. If you do slip, bum a smoke from someone then go right back to your quit plan.

* Take lots of naps if you can. Go to bed early. You can't smoke while you're sleeping! (If you need something to help you sleep for a while, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.)

* Take lots of baths or showers. They will relax you.

* Write down how you're feeling in your Journal or record your emotions on tape. Get it all off your chest!

* Dance around the kitchen to your favourite music. Be playful. Have fun!

* Laugh a lot! It's good for the soul and great exercise for the lungs!

* Take it one day at a time. If you quit one day at a time, pretty soon all of those days will add up to the rest of your life!

© Health Canada
Old 11-05-2005, 09:38 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

DAY 35 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Regaining control if you slip

You've made it another week without smoking! You should hardly be feeling any physical withdrawal anymore, but you may still be having psychological or emotional cravings. If one of these cravings has caused you to light up, try to forget about it. You need to regain control of a slip as soon as you can. Research shows that a slip is the number one thing that leads back to regular smoking. Even a puff can re-program your brain to demand more nicotine. So avoid tempting yourself with even "just one".

Here's what to do if you do slip.

Change the situation

1. Stop smoking right away.
2. Don't take even one more drag.
3. Leave the room or situation.
4. If you bought cigarettes, throw them out - where you can't get to them again.

Give yourself instructions

1. Remind yourself how far you've come, not how far you have to go.
2. Encourage yourself not to give up all of your progress and start over.
3. Carry a reminder on you - a list of your reasons for quitting, a picture of someone, a picture of what you will buy with the money you save from not buying cigarettes, etc.
4. Practice a "code" phrase - make it funny and encouraging "... that's over. Did it." Whatever works for you.

Take action

1. Do something that clashes with smoking - take a shower.
2. Find a bigger focus than the cigarette or craving and concentrate on it instead.
3. Don't criticize or punish yourself.
4. Make your mouth and throat feel different physically - drink a glass of water.
5. Do something physical - go for a walk, clean a closet, play with a pet, or shovel the walk.
6. If you are having a major craving, sit and let it crash over you like a wave. It really will pass in a few minutes.

Ask for help

1. Talk to someone to distract or encourage you.
2. Ask specifically for what you need in that moment.

Whatever you do, remember, slips don't mean you have to give up!

© Health Canada
Old 11-06-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

DAY 36 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Controlling your weight

People, especially women, often use smoking to suppress their hunger and keep their body weight below what it normally would be. So, now that you've quit, you may find that you feel hungry more often.

Did you also know that smoking dulls your sense of taste? After a couple of weeks of not smoking, you've probably noticed that food tastes a lot better now. That's great, as long as you watch what you eat and how much!

If you are worried about gaining weight, it will be important to eat moderately so that you minimize any possible weight gain. Be careful to stay away from too much sugar and fatty food. Try low-calorie foods for snacking, such as carrots and other vegetables, fresh fruits, sugarless gum, an apple, or low-fat cottage cheese.

Eat healthy meals. Good nutrition is very important if you want to keep your weight down, so don't skip meals! Strangely, the meal that most people skip is the most important one of the day: breakfast! No, a cup of coffee is not enough! Through evolution, your body has been programmed to eat breakfast by around 7:00 a.m.

Be sure to eat something from each of the four basic food groups at every meal.

Once you put that "fuel" in your body, your metabolism (the rate at which your body burns calories) speeds up and stays higher the rest of the day. If you don't start eating until noon, you've missed five hours of burning calories at a higher rate, even if you've not been exercising.

It is also important to keep fuelling your body throughout the day. In fact, five smaller meals instead of three larger ones are much better for you. But if you can't do that, make sure you have a nutritious, low-cal snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon, along with breakfast, lunch and supper.

To avoid gaining weight, you should not eat anything after 7:00 p.m. Your body will have had enough food by then to last until breakfast. If you've eaten enough during the day, you won't have the munchies in the evening. Your body is also more likely to burn up what you've eaten by the time you go to bed, so you'll sleep better.

What if you do gain a bit of weight? Most smokers do gain a few pounds when they quit smoking because their metabolism is no longer being sped up by nicotine. If you do gain a few pounds as you quit, just add a little more exercise to your routine. But remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so don't judge everything by what the scales say. If your clothes are getting loose, you're heading in the right direction.

Controlling your weight isn't about eating less, it's about eating smart. If you choose the right foods, eat at the right times and get the right amount of exercise, you'll be on the right track.

© Health Canada
Old 11-07-2005, 10:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

DAY 37 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Deep breathing

Deep breathing can help when you have a craving for a cigarette. It sounds simple, and it is. But take a few minutes to learn why and how it works. This can be a really powerful tool for you as you quit smoking and throughout your life.

Breathing exercises help you become aware of the emotions you feel when you smoke. It is important that you get in touch with those feelings. Once you figure out the emotions that cause the urge to smoke, you can learn how to predict the urge, how to avoid it, or how to handle it without smoking.

Here is one common breathing exercise:

1. Slowly take in a deep breath through your nose while you silently count to five. Push out your stomach at the same time. This makes the air go deeper into your lungs, where the smoke used to go.
2. Slowly let your breath out through your mouth (just part your lips slightly) to the count of seven.
3. Push that last little bit of air out of your lungs. The trick is to exhale longer than you inhale.
4. Repeat the process several more times until you feel calm and the craving has passed.

If this deep breathing makes you dizzy, do not do it while driving or operating equipment. If you do start to feel dizzy, sit down, breathe normally and wait a few minutes until it passes. If you continue to do your deep breathing, the dizziness should gradually go away as your body cleanses itself of carbon monoxide. If the dizziness continues, check with your doctor.

As a smoker, you already know how to breathe deeply. It is how you breathe when you smoke. In fact, another breathing exercise that is very helpful is to mimic smoking a cigarette. Breathe in and out as if you actually had a lighted cigarette in your mouth. You might even want to do it with a carrot stick in your hand.

Deep breathing only takes a few minutes. It can be done standing up, sitting or lying down. Breathing in gives oxygen to all of the cells of your body. Taking deep breaths in and out helps release tension and relaxes you. Deep breathing helps heal your mind, body and emotions.

© Health Canada
Old 11-08-2005, 08:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

DAY 38 - Preparing for setbacks or difficult situations

The truth about smoking and stress

How did you feel when you smoked? Many smokers say that smoking relaxes them. They smoke to reduce stress. Others smoke to feel more awake or to help solve a problem. In fact, smoking doesn't really do any of these things.

Here's what really happens:

Smoking a cigarette puts nicotine in your blood. After the cigarette is finished, your body processes the nicotine, so the amount left in your blood drops. When the nicotine level in your blood is too low, you become tense and cannot think straight. That's just your body is craving more nicotine. It makes you want another cigarette.

Smoking again brings your nicotine level back up to what your body has become used to. The tension caused by the nicotine craving goes away. You feel calm and alert for a while only because you are no longer in withdrawal.
But you are not really calm and alert. Nicotine stimulates the heart, not the brain. When you smoke, your heart beats faster and your blood pressure goes up. This causes physical stress in your body - it does not relieve it. When you do NOT smoke, the blood carries more oxygen throughout your body and the heart does not have to work as hard. This is what really helps lower stress.

True relaxation and mental alertness come from other things - not from smoking. Things like deep breathing, meditation, visualization, healthy eating habits, plenty of sleep and exercise are what your body really needs. They're what really make you feel better.

If you have learned (falsely!) to link smoking with relaxation, it's important to break that link. You need to find ways to respond to stress without thinking that you want or need a cigarette. Make a plan of what to do so that you won't be tempted to light up a cigarette. If you don't, you risk "giving in" to cigarettes and smoking again. Stress is a part of our daily lives. Make it work for you by managing it in the right ways, instead of making it work against you by smoking cigarettes.

© Health Canada
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

DAY 39 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Meditation

Meditation is a very useful tool for staying smoke-free. It's great for both your body and mind. It can reduce stress. It releases the mind from the clutter of thoughts in your day-to-day life. And it just makes you feel better! (What more could you ask for, right?)

Meditating leads you to a state that is not quite sleep and not quite like being awake in the ordinary way. That may sound a bit weird, but it can't hurt you and you will probably be surprised how good it makes you feel. Why not give it a try?

Anyone can learn to meditate, and there are many ways to do it. Here's one basic technique:

Choose a quiet place where you won't be distracted. Sit up in a comfortable position. Close your eyes and relax your entire body, from your feet to the top of your head. Think about a quiet scene, a blue sky, or a green meadow. Or, focus on a word or phrase that you choose, and repeat it to yourself over and over. You may want to combine the two approaches. For example, you could repeat your special word or phrase while picturing a clear blue sky in your mind.

When thoughts, feelings or sensations come into your mind, gently refocus on your chosen word, phrase or image. This may seem hard when you are feeling stressed. But each time that you become aware of distractions, reject them and refocus. Your unwanted thoughts will simply go away. After 15-20 minutes, slowly open your eyes and sit quietly for a minute or so before going back to your daily tasks.

You will feel refreshed and relaxed. You will also have avoided a situation in which you may have wanted to light up. But if you get into the habit of meditating, we're sure that you'll want to keep doing it throughout your life to help you handle stress.

© Health Canada
Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

DAY 40 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Avoiding traps you set for yourself

Earlier, we talked about family and friends who don't support you. But they are not the only ones you who may not be backing you. It's also possible to set traps for yourself. For example:

You may tell yourself that there's no hope or that you're never going to be able to quit anyway. But you can if you really follow the steps and stick to your plan.

You might be afraid of losing friends because you no longer smoke. But surely you have more in common than cigarettes, don't you?

You may give in without really trying because you are afraid of change. Quitting will certainly change your life, but only for the better, with time.

Smoking has been part of your identity - your sense of who you are. You might question that if you quit. You may feel nervous and unsure of yourself. But remember the old saying: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Think about the traps you could set for yourself. Prepare to avoid them or get past them. If you do slip up and have a cigarette, try to understand why. Think past the obvious. Were you afraid of something, like a change in your life? If so, try to turn the negative into a positive. For example, if you meet new friends who want to spend time with you, try not to be afraid that you will not be good enough or confident enough for them. Instead, think about how much they must enjoy your company as a non-smoker!

If you follow the steps and tips, you will find new ways to replace the role that cigarettes had in your life. You will learn to improve your life and who you are: a healthier person with more self-control. It takes courage and confidence but it's very worthwhile! Be proud of what you have achieved so far!

© Health Canada
Old 11-11-2005, 08:30 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

DAY 41 - Learning to live without cigarettes

The importance and pleasure of exercise

Exercise helps heal the body. It helps take your mind off smoking. It increases your self confidence and your sense of well being. It is one of the best things you can do to support your attempt to quit smoking.

Group sports are a great way to build a support group and make new friends, but almost any sport or physical activity will do. Just be sure to choose one that you can make part of your routine and can enjoy at your own pace. If it feels like hard work, you'll soon stop doing it.

Here are some ideas:

Walking may be the very best exercise of all, especially if you are just starting out. If you're used to having a cigarette after a meal, why not try a walk instead? Ask a friend to go with you so that you can make it a social occasion, too. Or take a dog with you. If you don't have one, borrow a dog from a neighbour.

Jogging or running
Skating, skiing or snowshoeing
Martial arts, cardio-kickboxing
Rollerblading, skateboarding or cycling
Lifting weights
Aerobics classes
Yoga, Pilates or Tai Chi (all of these are great for balance and stretching and they are harder than they look!)
Stair climbing
Swimming or water aerobics
Hockey or floor hockey
Stationary bicycle or rowing machine (Hey, you get to sit down at the same time!)
Volleyball, football, basketball, soccer, softball or baseball
Badminton

Almost all of these exercises are aerobic activities. They are a workout for your heart and lungs. This speeds up the physical healing process. Exercise will also help heal your spirit and increase your self-esteem as you meet new challenges. You'll feel that you have more and more energy with each smoke-free day.

Exercise helps to prevent or get rid of most negative emotions. If you haven't exercised in a long time, check with your doctor first. He or she can match your activity to your health and physical condition. Even if you are young and consider yourself pretty fit, take it easy at first. There's no point in risking an injury when you need to exercise those healing lungs regularly!

© Health Canada
Old 11-12-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

DAY 42 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Keeping your hands busy

Do you believe it? You've gone three whole weeks without smoking! Great job! Keep up the good work!

Research shows the best way to prevent boredom is to develop new skills and create new challenges. Smoking gave you something to do with your hands. You probably miss that. It will help to have something new to hold or do, as well as to prevent boredom. Here are some great ways to keep both your hands and mind busy:

* Drawing
* Puzzles
* Photography
* Sculpture
* Beadwork
* Sewing
* Needlepoint
* Crocheting
* Carving
* Writing
* Painting
* Gardening
* Knitting
* Woodworking
* Website design
* Music
* Cooking
* Volunteer Work
* Enrol in a course

Can you think of others that would help you? Now would be a great time to take up a new hobby - one that relaxes you and keeps your mind off cigarettes. It could help make sure you don't go back to smoking later on.

© Health Canada
Old 11-13-2005, 08:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

DAY 43 - Learning to live without cigarettes

Developing your problem-solving skills

Quitting smoking is not all or nothing. Each cigarette and each craving occurs in a very specific situation.

The key to staying quit is to break cravings and difficulties down into very specific situations and solve each situation separately, one at a time. You may wish to use your Journal for this.

Step 1 - Clearly describe the details of each situation you are tempted in - who, what, where, why, and when.

Step 2 - Write down as many possible solutions as you can for each specific situation based on the details. Don't judge them as you are writing them down.

Step 3 - Of your solutions, choose as many as possible to try. You may even be able to use some in combination with others.

Step 4 - Start using your solutions right away. The sooner, the better. It helps to practice them in your mind, too.

Step 5 - Record in your Journal what happens when you try each new solution in each situation. Tinker with the solutions until you find the ones that work for you.

Learning how to solve problems effectively will serve you well in all other aspects of your life, too. Even though this exercise might seem like a lot of work, it will be well worth it. Once you get the hang of it, effective problem-solving will happen automatically in your head.

© Health Canada
Old 11-14-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

DAY 44 - Preparing for setbacks and difficult situations

Staying smoke-free over the long term

Your main goals after you successfully quit smoking will be to maintain your success and stay smoke-free.

At some point, being smoke-free will replace the habit of smoking and it will feel more natural than smoking. Until that time, keep your attention focused on the things that keep you smoke-free.

Here are the top 10 goals you should set for at least the first 30 days after quitting smoking in order to maintain your progress.

1. Write down in your Journal everything positive that happened after you quit. Notice how you can taste your food more, how you can breathe easier or how much money you've saved. Write the most powerful differences on a card, carry it with you, and read it often to make yourself feel good or use it in situations when you feel tempted to smoke.

2. Hang out in places where smoking is not allowed. It makes you feel better about your decision not to smoke, makes not smoking feel more normal for you, and helps you avoid temptation.

3. Avoid testing yourself with "just one". Your brain will respond immediately to a cigarette and will start pushing you for more.

4. Avoid criticizing or punishing yourself if you have weak moments. Research shows it doesn't usually help - it only makes you feel bad, which in turn, may make you want to reach for a cigarette even more. Emotions are a natural cause for cravings, so don't spark them yourself.

5. Keep your personal space (house, car, workplace) smoke-free. Research shows that people who make their personal spaces smoke-free have better success remaining a non-smoker.

6. Keep cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays, and other reminders of smoking out of your personal space. Research also shows that these things signal your brain to want cigarettes, just like a red light signals you to stop your car.

7. Find things to keep yourself feeling good. Cigarettes used to help you feel good. It's time to figure out what else makes you feel good - physical activity, work on your house, hobbies, volunteering, playing in a sports league, coaching, cooking, gardening, and many more.

8. Learn to deal with lack of support. Not everyone is going to support you when you quit. Some people may feel defensive, threatened, left out, believe "things have changed", or feel pressure to change themselves. They may need some time to figure out what your changes mean for them, and how to adapt. Be as supportive of them as you can without ruining your chances of success.

9. Learn to use problem-solving skills. If you find yourself wavering, write down the details of the problem (don't guess). Write down at least 5 solutions, no matter how far out they are. Don't criticize any of them. Then choose as many as possible. Try them alone and in combination - start right away. Record what happens. Tinker with the solutions until you find the ones that work for each situation.

10. To prevent relapse, prepare in advance for situations that you know tempt you. Prepare a strategy to deal with each one. 1) What will you tell yourself to coach yourself through the temptation? Write it on a card. Carry it with you. It's too difficult to remember in the heat of the moment. 2) Who will you ask for help? What will you ask them to do - distract you, encourage you, go for a walk? 3) What will you do? Leave the situation, distract yourself, clean a closet, drink cold water, eat a hard candy, run around the block, mow the lawn? Practise your techniques in your mind and for real as often as you can so they become a more natural response than smoking.

© Health Canada
Old 11-15-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

DAY 45 - Preparing for setbacks and difficult situations

Ways you may change when you quit and how others may resist you

The people in your life may need some time to figure out what is happening when you quit smoking, what your changes mean for them, and how they are going to deal with it. If there was tension in your relationships before you quit smoking, it may increase when you actually quit smoking. Others may feel criticized or left out. An important part of staying quit is to figure out how you will deal with other people who resist your attempts to stay quit.

Here are some of the things that you may do when you quit smoking that may be difficult for others to accept. Print it off. Your goal is to find ways to deal with these situations in a way that respects your need to change and takes into account other people's needs for things to stay the same.

1. You may no longer want to go to smoky places or hang out together and smoke over a card game, coffee, or TV. Your friends or family members may think you are changing, that you don't want to hang out with them anymore.
Fill in how you will deal with it

2. You may want to do new things such as exercise or eat differently to make sure you don't gain weight. They may not want to do the same thing.

3. You may start to ask to have your needs met ("please don't smoke in the house"). They may accuse you of being out of line or selfish.

4. You may ask for support in very specific ways ("please remind me of how well I'm doing"). They may not want to give support in the ways you ask.

5. You may ask others to have patience with you if you are irritable and snap at them. They may not see this as fair.

6. You may speak up for yourself and ask others not to nag or tease you about quitting. Nagging and teasing may be their way of coping and they may not know how else to act.

7. You may ask others to quit smoking around you, but they've always smoked around you. They may say you are asking too much.

8. You may ask them not to smoke in the house or car. They may think you are not being fair and are violating their rights.

9. You may ask them not to leave cigarettes and ashtrays lying around. They may see this as inconvenient and refuse to do so.

Given everything you have learned through these messages, jot down any other changes and tensions you are actually experiencing and then write in detail how you will deal with it.

© Health Canada
Old 11-16-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

DAY 46 - Preparing for setbacks and difficult situations

Stay positive! You're your own best cheerleader!

What we think directly affects how we feel and, in turn, what we do and achieve. Approaching quitting with the right attitude will make a real difference to what you experience and achieve. We think you've done a great job so far, but there will always be challenges and temptations. If you are faced with them, just remember all of the reasons you wanted to quit smoking!

Quitting is a positive opportunity! It's a chance to feel and function better, to change how you view yourself, to extend your life, and to improve the quality of your life. It's an opportunity you should embrace with passion and pride.

Quitting is a journey. It may be short or long, but each step gets you closer and puts you more in control - no matter how many times you may have tried to quit before.

Quitting smoking is about making a change in your life by walking away from something harmful that you have come to depend on. That may take practice, patience and time. But you will do it if you stay focused, calm and positive, and if you don't give up.

These messages will come to an end, but your path to becoming an ex-smoker will not. Keep cheering yourself on. Keep celebrating those anniversaries. We know that you can do it, if you keep up all of the great work you've done so far. And remember, if you slip, it doesn't mean you have to give up. Just keep on working at it!

© Health Canada
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

DAY 47 - Preparing for setbacks or difficult situations

What to watch out for in the weeks ahead

Setbacks can happen, but don't give up! Most smokers try several times before they finally quit for good. And most smokers who stop trying to quit do so within three months. So, re-read these messages and keep working at it for as long as it takes until you've quit for good.

Even though it may be hard, don't use this as a reason to give up! Don't be discouraged if you have a cigarette or start smoking again. Just don't give yourself permission to smoke again because it happens to others or has happened to you before.

Try as hard as you can to stay focused on your goal and committed to it. Do what you have to do to stay strong by staying away from temptations and risks. Here are some key ones to watch out for:

* Alcohol. Avoid drinking alcohol. This includes all wine, beer, liqueurs and spirits that contain alcohol. Drinking encourages you to "drop your guard" and lowers your chances of success.

* Other drugs. Avoid all recreational drugs. Like alcohol, they will lower your resistance.

* Weight gain. Many smokers will gain weight when they quit, but usually less than 4-5 kilograms (10 pounds). Eat a healthy diet and stay active. Don't let weight gain distract you from your main goal: quitting smoking. Some quit-smoking medications may help delay weight gain.

* Bad mood or depression. There are a lot of ways to improve your mood other than smoking. Laughter truly is the best medicine if you're just feeling grumpy. If your depression stays for at least two weeks, you may need medication or help from a health professional.

If you are having problems with any of these things, talk to your doctor or other health care provider. As we mentioned in the beginning, if you are addicted to alcohol or other drugs, you will need more help than these messages can provide. Please seek the support and advice of your doctor.

© Health Canada
Old 11-18-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

DAY 48 - Preparing for setbacks or difficult situations

Becoming assertive about the new you!

As you become a non-smoker your relationships may change. We hope that everyone in your life is supportive, but we also know that not everyone is that lucky. You may find that the people who do not support your decision to become a non-smoker threaten your success. In order to make sure that you stick to your plan and reach your goal, you may have to develop new skills in handling difficult situations.

Here are some possible situations you may face in the weeks to come. Choose the ones that seem as if they could happen to you. Plan now how you would handle them and jot down a few notes in your Journal. Practise your responses in your head or out loud with a supportive friend who will give you honest feedback on your style. Remember, being assertive does not mean being aggressive. This may be the style of conversation you are used to when a situation of conflict arises, but now is as good a time as any to try to change that.

For more information and to develop some new skills in this area, take a course on self-esteem or assertiveness (believing in yourself). These may be offered through community programs. Or, go to the library and take out books or tapes on being assertive.

In the meantime, think about what you will say or do if someone:

* Gets angry or upset with you.

* Accuses you of changing and being different.

* Tries to convince you that there is no hard evidence that smoking is bad, and gives examples of smokers who have never been sick.

* Tells you that your relationship with them can't take the stress of your quitting.

* Blames you for everyone else having to suffer because you are in withdrawal and very grouchy.

* Criticizes you or starts an argument.

* Tells you that he or she wants the old you back.

* Refuses to support you in any way.

* Makes fun of you for eating or gaining weight because you have stopped smoking.

* Offers you cigarettes as a way to solve problems.

* Refuses to make the house or car smoke-free.

* Tells you to have a few cigarettes to get rid of the withdrawal - especially if you are in a bad mood.

* Continues to see you as a smoker and does not accept you as a non-smoker.

* Leaves cigarettes and ashtrays lying around on purpose to tempt you.

* Refuses to be patient with you if you are having withdrawal symptoms.

* Makes you justify and defend yourself for quitting.

* Smokes in front of you and tells you how good it feels.

Whatever happens, don't give in by having a cigarette. Sure, it isn't easy coping with conflict, but now that you've worked so hard, don't let someone else spoil it for you. Be true to yourself. You're worth it!

© Health Canada
Old 11-19-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

DAY 49 - Preparing for setbacks or difficult situations

Changing your way of thinking

You've made it a whole month without smoking. Treat yourself to something extra special today. And then keep plugging away at it, day by day.

There are many reasons why smokers stop trying to quit and start smoking again. Here are the most common ones and some new ways to think about them:

Gaining weight
Tell yourself: Cigarettes don't make me slim, attractive or dynamic. They make me lose control.

Unexpected stress
Tell yourself: Cigarettes don't solve problems or stop stress. They create stress. There are many other ways to deal with the stress in my life.

Facing a crisis (such as problems with your family, friends or work)
Tell yourself: Cigarettes don't make people like me or appreciate me. Only being myself can do that.

Peer pressure
Tell yourself: Most people don't smoke. They don't even like the smell of smoke! Most smokers would like to quit, too.

Use these ideas to help change negative thinking into positive reasons for quitting.

Try to understand why you might feel like smoking again and be prepared to change how you think. Then, you will be able to stick to your goal of quitting.

© Health Canada
Old 11-20-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

DAY 50 - Preparing for setbacks and difficult situations

Managing all kinds of situations, moods, people and thoughts

The key to preventing relapse is to be aware of the people, places, situations, thoughts, and emotions that trigger you to smoke and plan ahead of time what you will do to cope with each trigger. If you figure out ahead of time how you will deal with difficult situations, you are more likely to remain smoke-free.

If you are tempted to smoke and have a response already planned, you will be more confident that you can remain smoke-free in the situation.

If you do not have a response planned, it is more likely that you will feel less confident. As a result, it is more likely that you will slip and have a cigarette.

After you learn what works to help you control difficult moods at work without lighting up, you can try using the same strategies at home or when you are out socially. Each time a strategy works, write it down in your Journal. Think of it as creating a bank of strategies that you can access whenever you need to.

© Health Canada
Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

DAY 51 - Preparing for setbacks and difficult situations

Staying motivated for the health of it!

You no doubt wanted to quit smoking out of concern for your health or the health of your loved ones. Most people know that smoking causes lung cancer and heart disease. But are you aware of just how many diseases are related to smoking? Even if you don't think you're going to get one of these, take a look at the list. We admit that some of the risks are greater than others. But do you want to take the chance that you can beat the odds?

In the coming weeks, if you find yourself reaching for a cigarette, pull out this list and remind yourself how important quitting is. Tell yourself that you can get through this and that you're worth it. Remember, it is never too early or too late to quit!

The most common risks to your health are (in alphabetical order):

* Addiction

* Asthma in both children and adults (both smokers and non-smokers regularly exposed to second-hand smoke)

* Bladder cancer

* Breast cancer

* Cancer of the kidney

* Cataracts (a leading cause of blindness)

* Cervical Cancer

* Chronic bronchitis ("smoker's cough")

* Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)

* Circulation problems

* Colorectal cancer (cancer of the colon or rectum)

* Cranky, colicky babies

* Crohn's disease (a type of inflammatory bowel disease)

* Delay in conceiving a baby

* Ear infections and colds in children regularly exposed to second-hand smoke

* Early menopause (change of life)

* Ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy)

* Emphysema

* Facial wrinkles

* Gum disease and cavities

* Hardening of the arteries

* Heart attacks and other types of heart disease

* Impotence (inability of a man to maintain an erection

* Liver cancer

* Low birth weight babies (babies who are smaller at birth than average)

* Lung cancer

* Miscarriage (when you lose the baby early in your pregnancy)

* Oral cancer of the lips and mouth

* Osteoporosis (causes weak and brittle bones and makes people more prone to fractures)

* Pancreatic cancer

* Peptic ulcer (a sore on the lining of the stomach)

* Perinatal death (having a stillborn baby or a baby who dies just after it is born)

* Preterm delivery (early delivery of the baby)

* Stroke (a brain attack - when a blood clot blocks a blood vessel or artery, or when a blood vessel breaks, interrupting blood flow to an area of the brain)

* Sudden infant death syndrome or SIDS (when the baby dies suddenly for no apparent reason)

* Throat cancer

* Uterine cancer

The good news is that when you quit smoking, your health improves almost immediately! So will the health of the people around you.

© Health Canada