Notices

Planning to quit the smokes

Old 08-06-2020, 07:32 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking was mentally more difficult than quitting the drink. Physically the drink was harder. When I first quit, it was like a constant irritant that I had to keep swatting away. Like a bug that would just not leave me alone! It definitely gets easier, but it takes time. I promise it gets easier Coz, and it is worth it.

Do you have a quit smoking app on your phone or computer? It helped me a lot to see how much life I was regaining, health healing and money saved. Little victories add up to big ones pretty quick!

I did develop a bit of "quitters flu" a couple weeks in. It doesnt happen to everyone but happens quite a lot. Just be on guard in case you feel a little unwell. It wasn't too unpleasant. I think it's a lot of work in the body getting rid of all of that yuck.

Your doing great!,
Old 08-09-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Coz. Hows it going?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Libby - thanks for still being here and asking about this quit journey!

What can I say? This is fricking hard! I have now made 10 days without a smoke and while cravings are a little less, they are still common and very challenging to 'overcome'. There have been many times that I have wanted to chuck in the towel and run to the shop to restock my smokes, but somehow I have managed to keep putting it off. I've also been really snappy and grumpy since day 3 and I am really not liking myself much.

Your words "I promise it gets easier Coz, and it is worth it." are on my wall and my go to for encouragement. I'm also using, and finding helpful, TC's concept of enjoying breathing in fresh air. It's the kind of mindfulness that works for me and can be used in most places.

So I guess I can sum it up as I am doing OK, but not feeling at all confident that I can make it through unless it starts getting a lot easier in the next few days.

Your posts and support have meant so much to me Libby - so much.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are still hanging in there. Even if it doesn't feel like it, 10 days is a long time to go without smoking after doing it for so many years. Just know that the changes inside of your body are all ready quite significant.

You are right. It is hard to quit. That's why so many end up on oxygen still smoking .

Just keep fighting the urge to go buy them! Much like drinking, I never woke up after many failed attempts thinking I'm so glad I smoked yesterday. I often told my I'll just do it once, but It never worked out for me. I stayed back on them for a long time. 10 days is a lot to give back.

When I got grumpy, and I did a lot on the beginning, I cut myself some slack. I just kept reminding myself of the whys I quit. Your grumpy will turn to pride, I promise. Those dang cigarettes will only take your breath away and not give you one single thing in return.

Stay the course. I'm happy to help
Old 08-10-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can do it Coz - you'll be over the worst any day now

D
Old 08-10-2020, 07:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Libby and Dee

I really do want to quit the smokes - so your encouragement is invaluable at the moment.

I am cutting myself some slack in being a total grump, but I am also very aware of my short fuse and trying my best to not inflict my short-tempered attitude on others.

I do sit at the open and honest end of the communication spectrum, but I also try to be sensitive in the delivery of my message. I'm not so sure I am/can succeed in the sensitive delivery component at the moment - I'm am just a bit too blunt while in my grumpy mode! Hence I need to be a bit cautious about the content of my posts on SR at the moment. But I will try to keep involved again as I know it helps me and hopefully it doesn't hurt others too much.

again guys and gals!
Old 08-10-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’ve been both blunt and grumpy before - I think your reputation can handle it Coz
D
Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Coz, good job, way to go. It was almost 2 years after I quit drinking that I finally gave up the cigarettes. Been 8 years now. You can do it, rootin for ya.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks for the encouragement Nef - and huge congrats to you for quitting both smokes and booze! Success stories are so wonderful to hear.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Coz

Today is day 18 of not smoking.

I think the 'planning to quit the smokes' is now officially over and the challenge now is to not pick up again. So I am now officially graduating to the 24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club (24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club ~ Part 13)thread to move forward in my new alcohol and nicotine free life.

A special and sincere thank you to everyone who posted on this thread and gave me the support and encouragement that I needed to get this far - s.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:07 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Coz

Back to square one. I made a little over three weeks of not smoking last time, but picked up after a really bad mood day. At three weeks, I was still not finding it easy to not smoke at all, and add to that a very down emotional state and I just couldn't do it. I also felt like I was risking my sobriety on that day, so lesser of two evils was a trip to the shop for some smokes.

So, time to try again with a slightly different plan. This time I am using Champix to help with the cravings and give me that little hit of dopamine to hopefully keep me a bit less emotional through the quit. I'll also use the quit line a bit more for extra support.

This time, I hope I can make it work for all the reasons I have listed and have added through this thread.

Here goes.....
Old 10-15-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I have faith in you dear Coz. s xx
Old 10-15-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Its good to see you back at it Coz! My insurance wouldn't over the medicine, so I had some help with the patch and gum, but I know a lot of people that successfully quit using Chantix. (Thats what it's called in the US). I'm rooting for you!
Old 10-15-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Libby
Champix is subsidised here. It is costing me about $40 a month which is nothing compared to the over $700 I was spending on smokes! I hope it will do the trick for me.
15 hours since my last cigarette....
Old 10-16-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Coz

Just checking in to put in writing my commitment to get through day 2 of not smoking today.

It's hard, but I can do this.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can Coz!

D
Old 10-17-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Coz

Day three of not smoking begins. I really hope that this time around there is a relief to the constant thoughts and cravings to smoke sometime soon. The Champix is sort of helping, but it is certainly not being the wonder solution to making it easy to quit.

I think today is when I reach out to get some more support and will try calling the quit line. As I know from quitting drinking, it is much easier when you can share the journey with people that understand. Hopefully that is what will be on the other end of the phone.

Anyway - I will get through day 3. I have promised myself that I will do whatever it takes to not smoke for at least 10 days. If it isn't getting easier by then, I will rethink my plan. I really hope it does get easier during this week.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I am with you....the more support the better. If there is a quit lie for smoking, oh yeah, I would be calling them. s xx

Old 10-17-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Coz, keep the no smoking thoughts in your conscious mind at all times, you will defeat that awful AV, and we are all here to help. Rootin for ya.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Nef. I love your flowers - just beautiful!

I'm finishing up day 6 today. Smoking thoughts are frequent, but not constant like the first four days. I just hope the cravings become less and less common each day.

I really want to be an ex-smoker forever.