SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Nicotine/Smoking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/)
-   -   Quit smoking date: March 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/445817-quit-smoking-date-march-1-a.html)

Kjma 02-20-2020 06:59 AM

Quit smoking date: March 1

In addition to quitting drinking, I will also quit smoking. I hate both and see no good coming from either. I hope I can find the same support here as I did on the Newcomers thread. I honestly think smoking will be the harder stop to stick to because it is a daily, sometimes hourly habit triggered multiple times a day. I've quit before, many times, sometimes for years at a time. Ready to do so now for good.

Thanks for anyone for any help!

DaisyBelle7 02-20-2020 07:08 AM

I’m proud of you! I smoked off and on for 18 years, and quit for good in Sept 2016 (although I had one slip up in Vegas last year). You can do this!!

Kjma 02-20-2020 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 (Post 7387127)
I’m proud of you! I smoked off and on for 18 years, and quit for good in Sept 2016 (although I had one slip up in Vegas last year). You can do this!!

Thanks for your support and continued acceptance, Daisy! I already read some of the Allen Carr book and had some aha moments. I think it might provide me the answer/method that will work for me, along with support here. This is the other addiction I will recover from on my journey to be the best I can be. Wow! I'm even feeling hopeful about it!!

Libby06 02-21-2020 05:35 AM

Hi kjma. Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and drinking. I have been sober from alcohol for almost 5 years (with a short slip at 18 months) and smoke free for 7 months.

For me, one wasnt necessarily harder than the other, just not smoking was more uncomfortable. I didnt use alcohol replacement therapy lol, but I did use nicotine replacement therapy. I tried cold turkey but could not succeed, so opted for the gum and occassionally the patch with it.

Allan Carr made such a difference in my quit, and I still read through his book to reinforce my new lifestyle. It has trickled down into making healthy choices all the way around. Diet and exercise being huge.

I feel healthier, wealthier and cleaner!

HeadEast 02-21-2020 02:20 PM

March 1st sounds good. I have the Allen Carr book, but haven't read it yet. I'm just procrastinating. I wish you the best. You can do this.

Kjma 02-21-2020 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by HeadEast (Post 7388000)
March 1st sounds good. I have the Allen Carr book, but haven't read it yet. I'm just procrastinating. I wish you the best. You can do this.

Headeast, how about we read it together? Maybe it will help the message "stick." I swear, one way or another I WILL quit this no-good, money-sapping, stink-producing, shame-inducing, health-robbing habit once and for all. See, not a single thing good about it (except for that beautiful string of two word adjectives that pleases my word sense.)

HeadEast 02-21-2020 08:15 PM

Sounds good!

Kjma 02-22-2020 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by HeadEast (Post 7388150)
Sounds good!

Good deal! I read the first couple of chapters last night. It really is enlightening. I have one week until my quit date, so I'm going to read three chapters a day, doing what he says to do along the way. I'll post here with any thoughts I have as I go. Please do the same, HE. So glad to have someone else to talk to about this!

Kjma 02-22-2020 06:13 AM

HE, well post, I mean. You obviously will read at your own pace. :)

HeadEast 02-22-2020 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 (Post 7387127)

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".

Congratulations. You are good motivation for all of us.

Kjma 02-22-2020 09:41 PM

Some excerpts from the Allen Carr book that stand out to me

http://<a href="https://postimg.cc/3...[/img]</a>

Kjma 02-22-2020 09:45 PM

https://postimg.cc/PpffDGPV

Kjma 02-22-2020 11:03 PM

Obviously, I can't figure out how to post a photo.

I will say that I ended up reading the whole book today and am happy to make this my quit date.

If you want to quit but have fears about quitting, read the book. It is truly enlightening and has very practical steps. Its not hard to quit, now that I read it. Nor do I think this is a temporary quit. Seriously.

MLD51 03-04-2020 08:37 AM

It's March 4th now, how's it going, Kjma? Did you keep your quit date?

Sober369 03-23-2020 06:58 AM

I see this is a sparsely traveled thread, but if anyone else is quitting now I would love to have someone to talk to about it. I have to quit. I have breathing issues and smoke and then there's the virus. Yikes. Has to happen.
I have an Allen Carr book, too, it's the one for women which I hope is as good as the original. I am going to risk all, go out into the world and get some nicorette, too.
Anyone else quitting now? Now is a great time to quit, I truly believe.

Libby06 03-23-2020 11:13 AM

I quit 8 months ago, but sometimes it feels like just yesterday! I couldnt have done it without Alan Carr and nicotine gum. His way is pretty against NRT, but this is what has worked for me so far. I keep telling myelf that I am going to quit the gum, but so far I havent.

Honestly, after reading his book, quitting was not that hard. I have hard moments, especially lately which is odd with all that is going on with COVID and breathing issues.

The most important thing, for me anyway, is that I wanted to quit more than anything in the world. If you are determined to do it, you will!
My breathing impoved a lot quicker than I thought it would. Good luck! I love being a non smoker!

wiscsober 03-23-2020 05:57 PM

I'm lurking....hoping one day I will be nicotine free...I've started threads and ghosted....for now it feels like I'm on the outside looking in a house with all nonsmokers....kind of silly...but that's the image I think of. I'll keep reading for now...

Sober369 03-24-2020 06:50 PM

I got my Dr. to send in a prescription of Chantix to the pharmacy, and when I got there it wasn't there. It's a little scary to think of taking it, anyway. I hate nightmares. Maybe the book and the gum will be enough. I hope so!

Libby06 03-24-2020 07:45 PM

Sober369, I also had my Dr prescribe me Chantix. When I got to the pharmacy it was almost $400 a month, and my insurance wouldn't pay. I appealed it and was still denied. I was able to quit with the book and gum (along with the 12 steps). In hindsight, I am glad. Chantax scared the bejeezus out of me. I kept going back to random pages in the book when I got a craving. It helped me a l8t 5o make a list of the whys of why I wanted to quit and go back to them.

Hang in there Wiscsober. It's never too late. I was telling myself I was a nonsmoker long before I quit. Law of attraction perhaps?

wiscsober 03-25-2020 04:17 AM

I'll be the stray hanging around the backdoor for scraps!