Notices

hate smoking

Old 03-27-2023, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hate smoking

I hate this I want Quit every day I try to quit then comes the overwhelming obsession to smoke and I cave. I made it 18 hours before caving at 1 pm today. I'm keeping this a secret and smoking in the shadows in secret. my friends know but not my family. my friends mostly smoke or vape so I can't get support from them. they say it's better than drinking. I feel so alone and isolated I'm living to smoke. I'm trying but I can't manage to string any time together. any suggestions would be helpful. I ve only been using nicotine 10 days before that i had 14 years smoke free. I forgot how hard it was to quit. I feel horrible congested and coughing I need to stop but all I can think of is lighting up. hiding it is the the worst leaving in fear of getting busted. I'm so ashamed of what I'm doing.its so stupid I can't believe even now that I started again.
David
Old 03-27-2023, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you cant give it up.
Maybe trying to hide things and keep secrets is making it worse do you think?

D
Old 03-27-2023, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm going to tell my doctor and ask for help. I can't do this without help.
David
Old 03-29-2023, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you seen your Doctor David?

D
Old 03-29-2023, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

David,

I am rowing that same boat. I relapsed after many years smoke-free. I desperately want and need to quit too. And I’m spiraling…smoking out of pure habit, boredom and hopelessness. Just want to affirm that we can 100% free ourselves from the nicotine chains. Done it before…can do it again. I’m rooting for you!!
Old 03-29-2023, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I seeing my doctor tomorrow for another problem and I'm going to ask about meds to quit smoking. I'm vaping nicotine now and it makes me want to cry. my psychiatrist is increasing my meds again and I need it. I realize I have been unstable for a while now. it's probably why I relapsed on alcohol.

thanks cake for the support all addiction is horrible I'm extremely addiction prone if it feels good I'm going to do it until it doesn't feel good anymore, then keep doing anyway because I can't stop without help. I looked up nicotine anonymous but they don't have any meetings in my area and online meetings don't work for me, I need face to face. keep your head up I'm going to keep mine up. I have to remember I'm not a bad person trying to get good I'm a sick person trying to get well.
David
Old 07-09-2023, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

David... Just have faith. Believe you can do it and you will be able to. Don't give up. Just realize smoking is bad for your health each time you think of doing it. Stop buying it. Stay away from other people who are smoking. I know it's hard when that is your friends, but they shouldn't be smoking either. Nicotine is so hard to quit from once you're addicted. Just stop and don't look back. May God help you overcome your smoking habit and addiction.
Old 07-09-2023, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At my last checkup, my dr offered either a prescription for patches or for gum. I think cold turkey is too brutal if you/I have been smoking for long. I have. I like what one dr suggested. She said to put the number of cigarettes I smoked in a day in a baggie. count them out. and then each day make a new baggie with one less in it. That sounded possibly workable.
For a long long time when I would mention quitting to my psychiatrists they would tell me it was a good goal but not right now. The stress would be more than I could handle with my mental health conditions.
just curious if you are willing to share...what are you going to be doing with your meds now?
glad you have an appointment! I know you have been having a rough time. It is hard to do anything when you are not feeling stable. Mentally, I feel pretty good but I still really struggle with normal things and keeping routines in place. That set bedtime I had lasted about 4 days. lol. so do not feel alone! lol. I am just going to accept that I like to read at night and if I am at an exciting part, I am going to keep reading. when the thrill is about over, I take my night meds and am able to go to sleep in 30-45 minutes. but most likely it will not be 10:30!! It's not worth turning it into a battle. we have enough of those already!!
Old 07-12-2023, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Live, there is a 24 hour non smoking thread here. I smoked when I first started here and that thread really helped me quit. I did want to quit really badly, so I was motivated. I ended up quitting smoking before I got on a more solid sober plain. I wish you the best of luck. It's not easy and sometimes, 8-10 years later, I still find myself wanting to have one, but I just distract myself and it goes. Doesn't help my headaches either. So I'm really glad I quit. The cost is unreal too. i think when I quit, they were like $8 a pack and they're probably more now. I thought I am not spending that kind of money to kill myself.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Best with the smoking and I do appreciate your friendship!
Old 07-13-2023, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Live! I celebrated 3 years on the 9th. The patch worked for me. I was very addicted like you and I needed something besides cold turkey. I had several friends quit with the medication at the time called Chantix, I think?
Old 07-13-2023, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That is encouraging. They won't give chantix to people with mental illness. Even in others not diagnosed, it can cause serious depression so it not as commonly prescribed anymore.
I asked about it when it first came out. My dr looked it up and said no.
Old 07-20-2023, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had no idea!!

I quit many times in my life, and smoked when I was a teenager. The most serious time I ever did was in April of 1998. I went many. years then smoked again when my mother passed away. I learned from many, many years that it only takes one to get back on them. Quitting cigarettes was harder for me than drinking, though both were a battle.

The patch really worked for me both times (in 1998 and in 2020). Though at the end of the patch, I craved the patch, the cycle was broken where I thought I was was actually craving the smoke. It was the nicotine all the way. I've not looked back since I quit again on July 8, 2020. Good luck to you, I know how very hard it is.