SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Nicotine/Smoking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/)
-   -   This may be the best place for this post... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/442329-may-best-place-post.html)

Wes0817 09-29-2019 12:06 PM

This may be the best place for this post...

So, I'm broke and no way to afford or buy a pack of cigarettes. I guess for now I'm forced into quitting since I can't buy any. I don't think I'm ready to quit yet, but I might as well since I can't afford it. When I do have money it's been going to rent and groceries which is far more important.
I'm going through some serious nicotine withdraw. I'm irritable, anxious, restless and have a hard time concentrating on anything for very long. So it's hard to keep occupied so I don't think about it so much. And the cravings are so strong.
I'm just don't know what to do or where/how to vent what I'm going through. I just hope it gets better. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for letting me share. Hope this makes sense.
Wes

Dee74 09-29-2019 03:38 PM

I hope you run with the opportunity wes :)

D

Libby06 09-29-2019 03:55 PM

Have gou checked with your local health department or does your state have a quitting smoking help line you could call? I live in the states, and I know ours gives out nicotene replacement for free. Its worth a shot to deal with the withdrawls with the patch, gum or lozenges.

Wes0817 09-30-2019 12:44 AM

Thanks, worth looking into and checking out. I'm in the States as well. So there just might be something locally.

tomls 09-30-2019 01:00 AM

I quit everything at the same time. I used lozenges for a short time. That seemed to help but it's not easy. Hang in there, you can do this!

Wes0817 09-30-2019 07:38 AM

As much as I hate asking people for anything, I broke down and asked a neighbor this morning for a couple of cigarettes to go with my coffee. Still trying to find the desire to quit. Going to try calling the 1-800-quitnow number I see on commercials. Hopefully can get pointed in the right direction to make quitting easier. And also thinking of asking my PCP about Chantix or something. Although don't really want to add another medication to my already long list of meds. I'm sure once I've found the desire to quit would make it easier to quit than just being forced into quitting due to lack of money.
Wes

MLD51 10-01-2019 06:12 AM

I think you can get free nicotine replacement from 1-800-QuitNow. Not sure. But also, depending on the state you live in , there are state-based helplines. I used Chantix, and it really worked for me, and with my health insurance, cost me nothing. But if you are on other meds it might not be the right thing for you. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best. Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Tried and succeeded for varying amounts of time over the years. This time, so far, it's 2 months. Feels different this time, Like I really don't feel like smoking anymore, but I know I'm not out of the woods.

wiscsober 11-06-2019 07:32 AM

Wes - you makes complete sense

About half an hour ago I helped a lady get her electric cart unstuck out of the snow. It only took 5 minutes but it completely winded me...and my muscles are trembling. It took 10 minutes to calm my lungs down.

Without money and smoking I would bum cigarettes or pick through ashtrays.

Broken record but I'm ready to try again. I'm at 7 weeks sober and free from other addictions.

Need a commitment and lifestyle change.

Leana 11-09-2019 10:41 PM

For me, it was harder to quit smoking that drinking. But last month marked 2 years without cigs and 11 years without alcohol. First months of no smokes sucked. But it does get better. I downloaded a quit smoking app on my phone, that really helped.