Notices

Was anyone able to LOSE weight when quitting?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was anyone able to LOSE weight when quitting?

I hear a lot about people gaining weight when quitting, but anyone out there able to remain the same weight, or lose weight with healthier habits?

Certainly health comes first, but now that I am sober, weight has come off. I would hate to put it back on by quitting nicotine.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This was a concern for me too but I was able to maintain my weight without doing anything too drastic- I basically just started swimming laps once a week and quit drinking soda (eventually switched to diet soda which I can't say I recommend).

The first couple weeks my sugar cravings were out of control and I was eating more than usual but it wasn't a permanent thing. I was already happy with my weight but have now lost 5 more pounds and feel healthier than I have maybe ever. Quitting is not easy- I relapsed for a day recently (ridiculous) but the pull of how healthy I feel now was a big factor in not actually starting again. You can do it!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know three neighbors who have quit.. 2 men and a woman. After a couple years they look more fit...a healthy glow to them.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too am worried about gaining weight, however I have given up the drink too and so still expect the net result to be weight loss.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Didn't lose, but didn't gain. Took a few months for insulin resistance to sort out. Stayed low carb. Worked awesome.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've heard it recommended to put the QUIT first.

If you do gain weight work on that bit later. Good food, exercise, etc.

Good on you if you have decided to quit.

Tomorrow is my Day 1, because I have smoked today. Sounds absurd hey?

"I smoked today", Weird habit.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im 6 months into my quit and have only gained 3 lbs. For me, its more from holiday gluttony than not smoking. Weight gain kept me from quitting for a long time, but a brain aneurysm convinced me otherwise. Ive begun exercising and reducing sugar. Maybe I'll be added to the list of losing weight after quitting. Im rooting for you! Not easy, but possible.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you still not smoking Libby?

This is not the Spanish Inquisution, just wondering how you were doing.

I've certainly saved a lot of money in a very short time. I can smell the French perfume from afar. Soon will be mine.

Onwards goes the QUIT.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Steely. Still not smoking. My quit smoking app tells me 200 days tomorrow, and I have saved$2687.00! Isn't that incredible🤤? I bet you can buy a lot of fancy french perfume with your quit money!

I am going to but a new treadmill with mine. My husband brought one home from someones trash last year...It works, but its a real piece... He is so frugal. Yikes.

When I first quit, I firmly believed (and stated)that if I started packing on a bunch of weight, I would just go back to smoking. Ive gained 4 pounds, ( hooe I didnt just jinx myself which is nothing, and I just laugh at myself for thinking of going back to it now. So much easier to just exercise and eat healthy than to go through quitting all over again.

How are you getting along? Do you have a quit smoking app too? Mine says that I havent smoked 5972 cigarettes! I smoked a lot when I quit drinking, a pack and a half a day easy. Gosh, I cant tell you how much better I feel!

Last edited by Libby06; 01-26-2020 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Edit smiley
Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Two hundred days Libby, that's fantastic. I'm following your lead.

So true to say much easier and more fun to exercise and eat healthy than to smoke to lose weight.

I take things from the street too Libby. I tell myself it's recycling, and lessening my carbon footprint. . I really dislike consumerism. So much good stuff goes to landfill. It a cryin' shame.

I haven't got one of those aps but am going to get one today.

Again, congratulations on 200 days Libby, it really is fantastic. I smell better too. I used to be embarrassed when I would hug someone because I knew I really stank. Yuk!