Notices

Fear of nicotine withdrawals

Old 10-27-2017, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of nicotine withdrawals

Hi everyone.I am 24hrs without smoking a cigarette.So far so good,but I am very fearfull of the withdrawal symptons which are sure to kick in soon and how to manage them.I have smoked for 40years.I am 18months into alcohol recovery and found the early withdrawal very hard.Any advice appreciated.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jojay,

I quit smoking 20 years ago and I do recall mainly anxiety.

I believe I drank a lot of coffee back then and it was a distraction.

I just quit coffee forever yesterday. It had become an addiction and was causing my bp to elevate, anxiety, and it was a time bandit.

I am also working to monitor my salt intake as it elevates my bp too. This is tricky because there is so much salt in things I love to eat. Yesterday, I did great w bananas, Greek yogurt, salad, peanut butter, apples, and turkey. My bp dropped 10 points...just like that.

It is a lifestyle change, just like quitting booze.

All these things that hurt us...we can stop doing them.

Knowing and wanting is half the battle won.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Jojay,

I quit smoking 20 years ago and I do recall mainly anxiety.

I believe I drank a lot of coffee back then and it was a distraction.

I just quit coffee forever yesterday. It had become an addiction and was causing my bp to elevate, anxiety, and it was a time bandit.

I am also working to monitor my salt intake as it elevates my bp too. This is tricky because there is so much salt in things I love to eat. Yesterday, I did great w bananas, Greek yogurt, salad, peanut butter, apples, and turkey. My bp dropped 10 points...just like that.

It is a lifestyle change, just like quitting booze.

All these things that hurt us...we can stop doing them.

Knowing and wanting is half the battle won.

Thanks.
Hi and thankyou.Well I gave up caffiene laden coffee around a year ago.Just drink cereal drinks now.I didn't have any withdrawals giving up caffiene.Guess I will have to be strong when it comes to getting through this.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
Hi everyone.I am 24hrs without smoking a cigarette.So far so good,but I am very fearfull of the withdrawal symptons which are sure to kick in soon and how to manage them.I have smoked for 40years.I am 18months into alcohol recovery and found the early withdrawal very hard.Any advice appreciated.
youtube alan carr videos , are inspirational, encouraging, and will help keep you free of fear.

also always carry water, celery sticks, carrots or something healthy.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
youtube alan carr videos , are inspirational, encouraging, and will help keep you free of fear.

Thankyou.much appreciated
Old 10-27-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
Thankyou.much appreciated
I put YouTube in autoplay mode and what comes up on the topic of quitting smoking really keeps good information coming.

There is a lot of documentaries and TV interviews with Alan Carr that are really good, saw a few new ones this morning.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Jojay, I also smoked for 40 years. In June I began vaping and then realized in early October that I'm still inhaling crap into my lungs and just want to be done with it. So, today starts day 17 for me with nothing at all. Well, that is outside of gum and mints. I won't even do the nicotine gum, I am tired of prolonging the inevitable thing I need to do to accomplish the goal.

There have been some pretty tough times on and off but I'm using the same foundation I used to quit drinking almost 18 months ago now. It all has to do with my signature line.

Quitting wasn't a choice, it was a final decision where there will never be a plausible reason for me to smoke. Therefore I can't even consider it. It's hard sometimes but I will not falter. You can do this too.

I've also found that I have to remind myself to be realistic. I did this every day for 40 years. It's not going to be easy.

I might dabble in the videos Bob is telling me about. So far though what's helped me is reminding me I won't always feel this way. At least not as frequently. I may check out Alan Carr today.

Good luck and you can do this!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Hi Jojay, I also smoked for 40 years. In June I began vaping and then realized in early October that I'm still inhaling crap into my lungs and just want to be done with it. So, today starts day 17 for me with nothing at all. Well, that is outside of gum and mints. I won't even do the nicotine gum, I am tired of prolonging the inevitable thing I need to do to accomplish the goal.

There have been some pretty tough times on and off but I'm using the same foundation I used to quit drinking almost 18 months ago now. It all has to do with my signature line.

Quitting wasn't a choice, it was a final decision where there will never be a plausible reason for me to smoke. Therefore I can't even consider it. It's hard sometimes but I will not falter. You can do this too.

I've also found that I have to remind myself to be realistic. I did this every day for 40 years. It's not going to be easy.

I might dabble in the videos Bob is telling me about. So far though what's helped me is reminding me I won't always feel this way. At least not as frequently. I may check out Alan Carr today.

Good luck and you can do this!
Hi Ladyblue and thankyou for your uplifting reply.I am coping pretty well so far and definately don't want to use any nicotine patches etc,as you are right,these aids just prolong things.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I put YouTube in autoplay mode and what comes up on the topic of quitting smoking really keeps good information coming.

There is a lot of documentaries and TV interviews with Alan Carr that are really good, saw a few new ones this morning.
Thankyou for your supportive reply
Old 11-02-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

So is his book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."

I stopped with Chantix years ago after years of nicotine addiction. It worked, but the side effects were pretty intense. No real sleep, crazy dreams. I didn't gain weight while I was on it for about 8 weeks, but big gains when I tapered off of it. However, quitting was pretty easy, it blocks the nicotine receptors and I just lost interest in smoking, as there was no physical benefit.

I relapsed in rehab, and I quit again with no effort about 3 months later. Being on Wellbutrin helped, I think. I just stopped buying them and forgot to smoke.

In any event, I think cold turkey is the way to go, and has proven to be the most effective method. Nicotine replacement is like going into cold water little by little. If you just jump in, it's shocking for a second and then you get used to it.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
So is his book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."

I stopped with Chantix years ago after years of nicotine addiction. It worked, but the side effects were pretty intense. No real sleep, crazy dreams. I didn't gain weight while I was on it for about 8 weeks, but big gains when I tapered off of it. However, quitting was pretty easy, it blocks the nicotine receptors and I just lost interest in smoking, as there was no physical benefit.

I relapsed in rehab, and I quit again with no effort about 3 months later. Being on Wellbutrin helped, I think. I just stopped buying them and forgot to smoke.

In any event, I think cold turkey is the way to go, and has proven to be the most effective method. Nicotine replacement is like going into cold water little by little. If you just jump in, it's shocking for a second and then you get used to it.
Hi.Well I am still doing this cold turkey,day 9 today.Didn't or haven't had any cravings,just a very low mood set in.I have read up on some of the common side effects such as a feeling of loss etc.This is almost as traumatic as giving up alcohol,the depression and racing thoughts.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Way to go Jojay!!!

I also found that the feelings are much the same as any addiction. It's like grieving a loss. Sometimes the feeling really sucks because if you're committed to stick to it the overwhelming feeling of loss results when that craving hits.

The best I can offer is I have to sometimes keep reminding myself that I will not always feel like this. I've also experienced a few pretty pissy moments that I had to apologize to others for which I know is par for the course.

It does get better. For me what began happening was the benefits began to really outweigh the costs. So, when I started to miss the feeling of smoking I consider the positives of where I am now. I sleep better, I wake up feeling more refreshed, my breathing, and sense of taste and smell are better. I also don't have to put up with a smell like an empty ashtray coming from my hair, my clothes, my breath, my car etc etc.

You can do this, we can do this. There is strength and support in numbers
Old 11-09-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much Ladyblue.I guess in a week or so these feelings will subside.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job!
I quit smoking for 10 months with chantix. Horrible side effects similar to the previous post. Got this will idea I could have one and I was done. I had gained a ton of weight. Traded sugar for alcohol and nicotine.
I am setting a quit date again for Monday. I dislike the low mood, anxiety, hunger and mood. However, I really hate buying a new pack, yellow teeth, smell, being an outcast, a bad role model and a slave. Allen Carr has great information.
This time I am sticking to water, carrots and gum.
Keep it up!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Great job!
I quit smoking for 10 months with chantix. Horrible side effects similar to the previous post. Got this will idea I could have one and I was done. I had gained a ton of weight. Traded sugar for alcohol and nicotine.
I am setting a quit date again for Monday. I dislike the low mood, anxiety, hunger and mood. However, I really hate buying a new pack, yellow teeth, smell, being an outcast, a bad role model and a slave. Allen Carr has great information.
This time I am sticking to water, carrots and gum.
Keep it up!!!
Hi and thankyou for your reply.Chantix sometimes gets a bad press for making folk ill.I'm lucky as haven't felt like eating loads,yet!!take care and good luck
Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I found that quitting smoking in 2010 was great practice for giving up everything else in 2017.

Read once that quitting alcohol brings up a lot of fear, and quitting nicotine brings up a lot of anger and resentment. I found this to be true, but "giving up" is more the operative word.

Weight gain is almost a given, with metabolism slowing, an increase in fat storage and an increase in food cravings (mostly unhealthy) and appetite. Don't worry about it. Just like quitting anything else, it needs to be a priority. You can diet off weight, you cannot diet off lung cancer, heart damage, and COPD.

Keep it up, youse guys. It does get easier.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks MindfulMan!

I am here specifically to say that it does get easier, that and I am finally beginning to take off the weight.

I also think that the more realistic you are that this is going to be uncomfortable for a while, and your resolve to get through no matter what, the faster it will get easier.

Monday was two months. Do I still think about a cigarette? At least once a day BUT, BUT, BUT, it is not the same kind of "thinking about it" like it used to be.

There's no discomfort now when I think about the fact that I used to smoke. I am enjoying not smelling like an ash tray. I am enjoying how much more time I have now that I don't have to plan for it or find time to have a cigarette. I am enjoying breathing. The wheezing that used to occur if I was doing a presentation (soooo embarrassing!) or when I was having a long conversation no longer occurs. I don't have to stop laughing because if I don't it will end up in a coughing jag.

I am looking to all the travel plans that are coming in about 10 years (barring anything else happening). If I had continued smoking in the manner I did that would have been off the table because I have no doubt I would be tied to an oxygen tank.

So so so many positives.

So, hang in there because although there are some tough times it does get better and it's worth it!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

good stuff