24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club - Part 12

Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So happy to hear this CK!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

18 1/2 weeks smoke free for me.

Keep up the great work everyone. It is difficult, but we can do it one day at a time and in the end feel so much better.

Canadian Koala is such a shinning example of what health benefits we'll reap!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Day 3 I've got to do this!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

You can do this martina 12!

I can't say I've been happy the whole time I haven't been smoking. My son says I should try to associate it with negative things - feelings, smells, sensations, etc. Instead of missing it. Probably good advice - but sometimes I just want to behave like a 2 year old and throw a raging temper tantrum!

20 weeks smoke free this past week.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Congrats to you Martina 12 for and JMFburns!

I'm quoting this post from our friend LadyBlue from another thread for you to enjoy on the "24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club".
(I asked her before doing so and she gently agreed to my request)

I'm very proud of you LadyBlue!

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
June 5th was my last real cigarette. I say this because I am using an ecig, albeit the use of that is waning too. I loved smoking far too much to go cold turkey but I knew I had to find a way to quit. Although I still am getting little hits of nicotine now and then at least I've eliminated all the chemicals, carbon monoxide, ammonia, etc.

I can smell and taste things. What I truly love though is how I can breath now. That and it was getting embarrassing that sometimes when I'd be talking I'd start wheezing and have to cough to clear it. Gross. I also was starting to get old person's smokers voice. Again, gross, and that's gone. My anxiety levels have decreased greatly (which I'm sure is attributed to no highs and lows with blood pressure from smoking).

Last night my husband asked if I miss it at all. Nope, not one bit. I've even stood around people who are smoking regular cigs and it holds no attraction for me. I think about points where someone who has quit has stood near me when I still smoked and stated how good the cigarette smelled. I wondered if that would be how I'd feel. Not one bit.

Glad to have yet another monkey off my back. The difference its made is amazing.

Heading to a theme park today in New Hampshire with the grandkids and my daughter and son in law. You know what's really awesome outside of family time? Not searching the park map ahead of time to see where all the smoking areas are!

I never thought I was going to be able to do this. I often thought forward to my plans for retirement in 10 to 15 years which is traveling in an RV through the US, Canada, and Mexico. Suffice it to say there would have been an oxygen tank accompanying me on my travels (if I were even here at all).

I loved smoking, absolutely loved it. But, me quitting solidifies to me that once you make up your mind to do something and accept that there's no turning back it makes it just that much easier. You get over the tough times that much faster. No circumstance in which I can smoke means what's done is done. No choice.
Thanks for sharing your current experience with us.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

I had a little over a month and I blew it. Just a couple of puffs at first, then more the next day and on and on it goesI'm not where I was before I quit, but not doing as good as none. I'm trying back on the gum and the patch tomorrow. I didn't use the patch at first. Husband smokes and it is very hard. So much like quitting alcohol. I've gotta do the steps on this or I'm screwed. Neurosurgeon told me I had to quit. What am I doing? It's a brain aneurysm for goodness sakes! Thanks for being here. I'm so proud of you all. This is hard
Old 10-06-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Hi y’all, hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to a smoke-free Halloween. Let’s bring this thread back to life! Did somebody say zombie thread?
Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

My 1st 24 hours smoke free

First 24 hours smoke free in 30 years. Doing ok. Found boredom is a major trigger for me. Nothing doing today so I am cleaning out my closet just to do something other than smoke.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

My 1st 24 hours smoke free

First 24 hours smoke free in 30 years. Doing ok. Found boredom is a major trigger for me. Nothing doing today so I am cleaning out my closet just to do something other than smoke.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

You can do it Ileana, one day at a time!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Day 10 - no vaping no nothing. Just had probably the worst craving ever and made it through due to a verbal altercation I had with someone at work. Not going to do it though - not going backward after all this.

Plus, after 10 days of no nicotine and no vaping I feel amazing.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 10-20-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

I'm very proud of you LadyBlue, way to go!
Old 10-22-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So, now that I actually have a few minutes .....

In June I started with the vape. Didn't like the box machine so switched to the ecig. Worked well until I found it it was 48 mg of nicotine, 4X that of which I was ingesting when smoking real cigs, egads. Finally went back to vaping using the liquid about three weeks ago. Bought a 3mg and a 0mg. Started out with the 3mg and was doing ok so decided to start incorporating the 0 into the mix. In fact, I was using only the 0 mg for about a week but it was triggering the cravings worse. Just like quitting drinking and trying to patch the hole using NA beer. Then, realized I could either continue this charade or just rip the band-aid off and get over it. So, my last day using the vape was Tuesday the 10th. When I woke up on October 11th that was the first day using nothing.

Although there were some rough patches throughout the days in the beginning they didn't last long. Today begins day 12. It seems like I'm thinking about it more now than I was in the beginning and the cravings sometimes feel stronger. Is this normal? Does this get better and how long does it take?

I have to say I never really realized just how much my entire life was planned around cigarettes. Actually, planned around the consideration of when I would be able to smoke the next one. Also, how much I used cigarettes as tools of procrastination. For example, I usually smoked about a pack a day. However, on a Saturday or Sunday morning I could spend so much time with my coffee on my front porch and before I knew it I had gone through over 1/2 pack in 4 hours.

I actually think this is why I have come here so infrequently. My routine would be the same. Start a post, crave, go out on the front porch. Come back in, continue the post, rinse, repeat. So, as I post my body wants to go drink some coffee and smoke and then come back.

Anyway, what did you do to combat this? How long does it take before it begins getting better?

Nothing will make me smoke again, I am done. I just need to find a way to help myself get through these damned cravings so they don't last so long and aren't as strong.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 10-22-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

When I woke up on October 11th that was the first day using nothing.
This is why I am so proud of you : because you are using NOTHING.
I know a lot of people who say they have quit but who are vaping like crazy.
They are still smokers in my book but you are now a 100% non smoker LadyBlue!

Wow wow wow, do you realize how fantastic it is!?!
There is NO NICOTINE anymore in your blood and your lungs begin to self-repair and can ward off infection more easily. As your lungs begin to function more effectively, the coughing and shortness of breath experienced due to smoking will dramatically decrease. I promise it!
I don't cough anymore, not even once a month! Finish, I breathe!

I have to say I never really realized just how much my entire life was planned around cigarettes.
Same for me, when I think about it.
Cigarette was taking more space, was more important than booze in my life.
I was smoking like there was no tomorrow, going out every hour at work.
Out in the rain, in snow storms or at minus 30°, nothing could refrain me to smoke.
I couldn't sleep a whole night anymore since years.
I was waking up and getting up two or three times every night to smoke a few puffs and go back to bed. It was hell.

Anyway, what did you do to combat this? How long does it take before it begins getting better?
I still have super AV attacks even after 11 months but it doesn’t last more than a few seconds.
My AV knows that smoking is not an option and it stops.
It seems you are going to use the same determination and you should see results within the first month, cravings will decrease a lot in number and in force.

What do I do to combat these cravings?
I have my little tools :
- Chewing menthol gum.
- Breathe deeply like if I was taking a big puff and then I make the gesture of crushing a cigarette with a little fake cough to remember how short of breath I was after each cigarette.
- I smell my fingers : there’s no tobacco odor at all.
- I look at my surroundings : no more ashes or butts around me.

The most important is to see these cravings coming.
One of the worst craving I ever had was the first time I went out from a Walmart and when I got into my car, I was looking for my pack of cigarette and realized there was none. Aaarghhh!
That craving was a 11 on 10 on the craving scale.

I’ve suffered BUT I’ve learned : now, any time I come to my car after shopping I know I will feel like having a cigarette and it deflates the AV attack completely.
In fact now that I talk about these car cravings you know what? They don’t exist anymore since at least 6 months lol
Repeating the same treatment on and on worked perfect I realize!

I’ll finish by quoting yourself a few months ago and it’s so true

“I loved smoking, absolutely loved it. But, me quitting solidifies to me that once you make up your mind to do something and accept that there's no turning back it makes it just that much easier”

Hang on LadyBlue and breathe deeply : life is beautiful
And yes, it will get a lot easier.
Come back any time, I'm not far!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

CK, I can't thank you enough for the kind words and the suggestions.

I don't mind hearing that cravings can stick with you for some time as I have no choice, not smoking so I'll deal. Having some suggestions as to what I can do is so helpful.

I think the worst ones are when I forget. It's like your WalMart incident. It's when I completely forget that I quit (which I guess in a positive light that's good because I'm not craving at that moment right?). Hmmm, maybe what I'm really saying is the worst are the sneaky cravings. Not the point where you remember when you're somewhere that a smoke can't be had that you won't be having one when you leave where you are. I'm referring to the ones where you're leaving where you are and THEN realize there will be NO cigarette had.

For instance, I'll occasionally think about the ride home from work and how that ride has no cigarette involved. Pondering that fact is no longer that bad anymore. The feeling of want and need are not like they were in the beginning. That's not what messes with me. What messes with me is packing the laptop up, putting everything in my bag, taking the elevator down and heading out the door outside and THEN, all of a sudden, there IT is! That feeling that says relief is coming once I get to the car and I realize that's no longer in play. Those ones really suck. But still, I'm realizing that as the time passes the pity party is lasting far less.

I have had discussions with people who have quit for many years now. They say they still deal with cravings, very very few and far between but it's laughable. Like they'll have a good meal and all of a sudden that memory pathway will open and the mind will think of smoking. I've been told they laugh and think "where on earth did that come from?". Just goes to show you how much this addiction really controls you.

On the flip side, wow, I never realized how much like crap smoking was making me feel like until now. When I sleep it's a restful sleep. When I wake up I am no longer tired. I look better, my skin looks better. The gray is really beginning to subside and for the first time in, well, umpteen years I have actually left the house with no makeup on a few times and didn't feel like I needed it because I resembled the walking dead.

I was also thinking about this today. How many times have you seen someone say they don't think they can quit an addiction because they have such anxiety issues? Well, when I quit drinking I found that after a few weeks my anxiety dipped tremendously. Now that I've quit smoking, outside of the anxiety of the random craving my anxiety has dipped even further.

It's the vicious circle again. We don't dare to quit something because of our anxiety when it's the freaking thing we're using that's causing most of it!

Anyway, getting used to being here more too which is a good thing

Again, thank you so much for your words of wisdom. You are an inspiration!
Old 11-23-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

There are two gifts ahead when you quit smoking :
Your senses of smell and taste will be back again!

Hang on!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Still smoke free and loving it
Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

No smoking for me today. It's the time of year when I start reviewing the past year and thinking about my goals for the next one. The 31st of this month will be 5 years without smoking/nicotine for me. It's hard to believe.

I quit so many times before finding this one that stuck. I am so glad I stuck with it. I have never regretted quitting smoking, but I know I would have regretted it if I had continued to smoke.

This week, I have had an awful cold or maybe the flu. When I was a smoker, no matter how sick I was, I still had to smoke and it was awful. I'm so glad I don't have to do that now.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

No smoking for me today. It's been a little over 8 months since I quit.

I have mostly good days, but every once in a while the craving hits and it really pisses me off that I can't smoke - dang it! But I know the glorious vision in my brain is not the stinky, expensive reality. So no smoking for me continues.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

I think I can officially say I have 7 years smoke free. I didn’t take note of the date but it was December-ish 2010. To the vets: howdy! To the nubes: keep it up! To the contemplaters: flippin’ do it!