Notices

And so. It begins.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

And so. It begins.

So I quit my drug of choice and I am successfully working a recovery program around it. I still have one major vice. Cigarettes. I smoke A LOT. I didn't want to go to the doctors and get zyban because it's an anti-depressant and knowing me I would end up getting addicted to it. So I got myself an E-Cig to help me quit.

And whilst I am here I just thought I would share that I am also planning on phasing out caffiene (I drink a lot of energy drinks) and any form of over-eating too. Ah it's all about the healthy life. Forking out for a gym membership come the weekend.

Stay clean and sober homies.

Natom.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too have joined a Gym and CUT DOWN on coffee. I look forward to one good coffee at 10:30 now. I've also stopped the cigs but I was a weird smoker anyway. Sometimes smoking none for days. Then just a couple, then a box at weekends. Oooh a bit like my drinking really lol!

I'm enjoying waking up without that taste of coffee and cigs in my mouth.

Keep at it Natom

S x

PS my heart palps have also stopped!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ate ALOT of sugar when I got sober... and by alot.. I mean you know how they have salt licks for horses? I kept sugar cubes in my purpse... no kidding... ADDICT. I put on about 20 pounds in my first six months. It has taken 5 months to get off 10 pounds. But, I am doing it healthy and learning some good life skills along the way.

Good for you!

Now if you ask me to give up diet coke... I might have to kill ya.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been on zyban for three days.
Then threw them out cause they got me all woozy and messed up.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by coming_clean View Post
I've been on zyban for three days.
Then threw them out cause they got me all woozy and messed up.
It's because they are an anti-depressant that just happen to work as a smoking cessation treatment. They should be used with extreme caution in people with alcohol and substance abuse history. Someone on here is using them to quit and 'feels great'. Go figure.

Natom.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am five years smoke free!
I have never looked back.
It is a fabulous feeling not to reek of smoke all the time, or stand shivering outside in the cold having a cigarette.
It is so expensive too.

I used NRT - the microtabs. I think they are really helpful. Nicotine is not a cancer causing. If you go to your local stop smoking clinic or GP's you can get free patches etc.
I could not use Zyban or the other as I have taken an SSRI and there is a risk of seizures. Totally not worth it.

Good luck x
Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
I am five years smoke free!
I have never looked back.
It is a fabulous feeling not to reek of smoke all the time, or stand shivering outside in the cold having a cigarette.
It is so expensive too.

I used NRT - the microtabs. I think they are really helpful. Nicotine is not a cancer causing. If you go to your local stop smoking clinic or GP's you can get free patches etc.
I could not use Zyban or the other as I have taken an SSRI and there is a risk of seizures. Totally not worth it.

Good luck x
Yeah I have this e-cig. I'm gonna do a step 1 & 2 around it and see how it goes. I'm mainly giving up because I want to save money to move and buy a motorbike. The lesser of two evils. I spend £120 a month on tobacco and it's related bits. Well done on 5 years. I have always found smoking to be harder than giving up drugs.

Natom.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are alternatives to zyban, welbutrin or chantix?
I quit before they invented the patch,but I was a very heavy smoker, 2.5 pks a day..
I still have 1-2 per year.
It took me a full year to quit. There is a little program you can use on your computer that keeps track of the $$you save, hours you add to your life.
Amy/impurrfect has it.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I had a ganders at the alternatives but don't see the point. I'm still using nicotine replacement and need the hand to mouth thing.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What motorbike are you fancying?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Gonna go for a CG125 when I do my C.B.T. And then probably either a Suzuki DRZ400 or a GSXR 600 when I do my full test. Vroom vroom.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Said e-cig brand. Have tried their disposable ones before so splurged on the rechargeable one. £19.99 for the battery, charger and two cartomisers (things with nicotine in). Replacement cartomisers are £6.95 for 3. They give the equivalant of 20 cigs worth of nicotine each so it's good value.

Natom.
Attached Images
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Best of luck with it. It's an addiction I have fought myself. I have really been thinking about it a lot lately... somehow it's easier for me to let it go than it is drinking, which shocks the hell out of me. I've been doing it longer (first cigarette at age 10, as opposed to drinks at 16), and more frequently (20-30/day, for 20+ years).

A big part of it for me is that it is, at least in my circles, NOT socially acceptable anymore. Drinking is still okay, even among the "healthy" people I know. Heck, there are running-drinking clubs all over the place and cyclists around here loooove their beer.

Joining a gym is a good plan. It really only takes me one crappy week before I start feeling so much better post-nicotine and start to get my breath back.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Now if you ask me to give up diet coke... I might have to kill ya. [/QUOTE]

That is me and Coke Zero! I have been eating healthy and exercising, and the scale is moving in the right direction, but no caffeine makes for a very cranky me!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I smoke and I cough and I know I need to quit. Do let us know if your plan works. I would be interested.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I smoke and I cough and I know I need to quit. Do let us know if your plan works. I would be interested.
Will do.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Zee

I've got this thing called a Tornado-T e-cig. It makes me cough more than my rollies do! I spend very little on tobacco, so I'm not too fussed about the money. I'm just taking one addiction at a time. I'm not trying to be cynical but my mum didn't drink or smoke but died from cancer. I don't want to shave my head and move to Tibet just yet
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved this to the Smoking forum as it seems more apposite here.
Best of Luck Natom

D
Old 10-31-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It seems more apposite here.
D
Cool.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator