Notices

Quitting again!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting again!

I tried this over a year ago, but my heart wasn't in it. I was doing it just to save money.

This time I'm doing it, again, because of money, but I think my heart is in it (I hope so).

I have one pack left, and am going to get the patches on the way to work, so tomorrow will be day 1 (I work nights). Last time I tried it c/t and was extremely irritable and ate everything that wasn't nailed down.

I wait tables...being irritable is not a good thing when you depend on tips! Are the patches going to help with this? A customer/buddy told me they would.

The last time I resented having to quit...this time I'm going in it with a better attitude.

It's not going to be easy...stepmom and niece smoke in the house, it's a small restuarant I work at and most of my coworkers smoke my brand and I can see them out front smoking (that was really hard the last time).

I'm a lot further in my recovery, this time, so I'm hoping that helps, too. I plan on doing what a friend said he did in his recovery..throwing all the tools AND the toolbox at any hurdles I come up on

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Amy!!! I think you are making a wise and well thought out choice. Our US Govt. has made it way to expensive to smoke anymore unless one is pulling six figures. I've been taking Chantix since yesterday (so 2 doses) and sometime this weekend, I'm going to put on the patches too.

We will do this together girl!!

You are in a better place than you were before and you are VERY strong in the tools department. My thoughts, prayers and encouragement will be with you. Geeze - this is scary isn't it? This is my addiction and I think I'm starting to understand why drug and alcohol users hate the chemicals but are afraid or unable to put it down. I'm sweating just thinking about it but I keep thinking my new van might smell like a new van again and my clothes and hair won't stink and when I go to someone's house, I won't offend the person sitting next to me cause I smell like second hand smoke. Oh - best of all,my kids won't be as sickly!! Boy does that make me feel guilty!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to the club, Amy!
You can do it,
One step at a time.

Shalom!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Amy & Mrs Magoo,

Welcome and thanks for posting. This is a great place to quit! I came here only to look and would up quitting after reading the posts for a couple of days. I got lots of help and ideas from these folks and staying in touch daily here really helps. I am on my sixteenth day and it really has been easy since the first few days. I did it without meds and did not have to deal with any med issues.

Cigs are so expensive right now. Just think of what one months cigarette money could be used to buy yourself something. Pick out a gift and then buy it for yourself!

Glad you two are here!
Old 04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Welcome Amy..My soul sista.

I think the right attitude in anything we do makes all the difference.
I am so gung ho about quitting these dam smokes. At first it was because I didnt have any money.
Then It was like. Might as well take advantage of it.
Then I got money yesterday. And still didnt go. Even the grams asked if I wanted her to get me some and I said nothing. Graet help she is.
Here it is day 2 and I am not cravimg as bad as I was 3 days ago. So in all rwlaity its been 4 days I have had 3 smokes. 2 Wed and 1 Thurs. And none yesterday or today.
It feels good.
You can do it too.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I haven't done crap yet. I didn't even take any Chantix today. I'm shooting for Monday now. Amy, Trish....how is it going? Any luck?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me Mrs Magoo..Today wasnt as bad as Thurs.
I was so sick yesterday and slept all day so that was cake. LOL.
Poor Amy..She has to deal with the public. It would be hard for me to quit doin that.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did it..made it 24 hours without a cigarette!!! Well, I did smoke a couple puffs, right after I woke up and put the patch on (I know..that's a no-no) but that was it..2 puffs.

Realize I don't really want the smoke..it's the smokING that is throwing me off. I associate pretty much everything with smoking..driving, taking a quick break at work, laying on my bed and typing on the computer..like right now

I can't believe I didn't even want to kill anyone! Must be the patch or psyching myself out ahead of time, but so far my mood is pretty good.

Any suggestions for how to keep generic patches on? I've got the Wal-mart brand, but it came off about 11 hours after I put it on. I had put silk tape over it, as I had read it didn't stay on for some people, and even the TAPE came off. This was on my upper arm and when I finally paid attention, my arm does get a good bit of movement during work.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dont know what makes them stick. Mine stay on ok.
Glad you are starting.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 3, hanging in there. Still have to tape them on, but that's okay. Survived a stressful night at work, the other night and coworker offering me a cigarette, but last night when it was calm, that's when I wanted one Not giving in, though.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy