Notices

NEW;Fighting Morphine Addict.,Day 4 of Sobriety

Old 07-31-2006, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question NEW;Fighting Morphine Addict.,Day 4 of Sobriety

Hi I found this site and I am so thankful. With the help of some benzos and a muscle relaxer, and a heating pad, I am finally able to comfortably sit for the first time since Saturday. For the past few days I've been living in the hell I have been prolonging. I'm coming off of Morphine. I suffer from SEVERE depression and stopped drinking (a few minor relapses in 4 months) but went to Morphine for the weekends, then to get me through work, then work was too much, and I needed them to be normal. Within four months morphine has gotten me. I was addicted to Vicodin for a year, but luckily kept it to a pill or two a day. Withdrawal was a bitch then, as was when I detoxed in March. But Morphine seems to be the worse. Anyone have any tips? My last use was Thursday evening. It's now Monday night. Do I have 2 more days or 5 more days? Luckily I told my parents (I am 22) and they are here for me 100%. Any input would be great.

I decided I wanted to be healthy mentally and I know opiates and alcohol have no place in my life.

I'm humbled, I'm sorry, I'm an addict...but I want to be the person my family used to know. I WANT to be happy.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
is grateful

I went through withdrawal for three days. After that, it was just severe depression. This was back in the day, when my withdrawal was the most severe due to daily use for many days on end ... I've gone through several withdrawals this year alone, and they lasted no more than a week total. That's pain, fever, fatigue, the whole she-bang. You should feel fine by Thursday. However, once you feel fine-- whoa!! That's when you need to be on guard. Feeling fine makes you think you can use again. When you feel bad, you know why the drug sucks. It's when you feel good that you think everything's ok, you're not really an addict, there's not really a problem after all.

Just make sure to never use again. It ain't easy, but you can do it.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there. I am Star, alcoholic. Welcome. I have no experience with the coming off of morphine or that type. It would seem like you are probably through the worst of it. GREAT JOB!! Its a hard step to take. I know I hit my withdrawals on night 3 for me from alcohol and felt better by the 5th or 6th day. To be honest I stiall am tired all the time and still fighting to get my chemistry back on track(i have 42 days), but other than that I FEEL GREAT!!! Sobriety is a wonderful thing.

Welcome to the journey, thanks for joining us. Others will be along and probably have more advice. If you havent been thinking abhout a formal plan to help you stay sober, consider NA and AA. If you go to a meeting and it doesnt suit you dont give up after one meeting, try a different one. There are also other recovery methods, I just happen to be familiar and partaking in the AA route.
I will "see" you around, keep your head up
Be PROUD of what you have accomplished thus far!!
Star
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I slept a full night, FINALLY. I woke up feeling fine but the nausea and headaches are starting again. I hope I'm at the end of this thing. Thank you all for your helpful, encouraging comments.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sweet Misery,

I want to welcome you and I hope that more people who can give you the information you need, will be along soon.

Hang in there!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clean and Fabulous

Welcome home, Sweet Misery!
I'm gonna say something you might not like to hear, but something you may already be aware of through your own experience. When we use any form of mood or mind altering substance, we are using, we are not clean.

I know that detoxing from opiates is very painful, but taking other narcotics to ease the pain is not properly detoxing, it's just using something else. The best way to detox is through a supervised inpatient program because if you do require other medication to safely come off the opiates, they will be able to give you what you need and in the amount you need so you dont become cross addicted.

For me, I came off everything at once because I knew that at some point, I was going to have to. I detoxed from oxycoton, cocaine, exstacy, alcohol, benzos, and marijuana after a month long binge of using all of those substances at the same time. I was not given anything to ease my pain other than non-narcotic sleeping medication and only after the first two weeks. It is a miracle I am alive and only through the grace and mercy of my higher power am I able to share these words with you. The beauty of detox is that after we go through the pain, we can choose to never go through it again because just for today, we never have to use.

Detoxing can be deadly and dangerous if it is not supervised closely. Please look into treatment centers in your area. You can get through this, we love you and we will help you any way we can.
Please keep coming back and know you can do this, and you're not alone.
Much love.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used things that were all ready prescribed to me, and through research and talk with my Dr, I figured out what would be given to me at a center. Basically, I stuck to my daily dose of clonazepam and ativan and a muscle relaxer I had leftover (something I never abused). I researched each one and found what families they are in and possible interractions. While I should have probably gone to a center, I went four days on my own and the nurse I spoke to thinks I can probably do it with my family, but if it's too bad and I want to use again, I would go into in-treatment. Today, the symptoms are cut down by 50%. Thank you allll!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HI SW, welcome to SR. I am glad you have reached out.

The one thing I can advise is to drink plenty of water. This will help flush the toxins out of your body faster.

Once you are feeling better, try exercise... begin with walking and go from there. Several reasons for that, first the fresh air is good; second, walking will help flush out the toxins that are stored in the muscle tissue and help you get over the detox faster (the blood circulation system at the muscle level is primarily by way of contraction... if you are not contracting the muscles, the stuff in the tissues just stays there); third, exercise creates naturally occuring endorphins (body's own opiates) which will really cut down on the cravings for the synthetic kinds.

Peace, Levi
Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sweet Misery,
I agree with drinking lots of water. Exercise too. Hang in there.
Val
Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much! I have been doing that. Tomorrow should be my last lazy day. FINALLY! I made it through the first gauntlet.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm Cheryl, addict/alcoholic and I just wanted to let you know that I'm here pulling for you. Hang in there and each day will get better. There will be some up and down days so hang in there and be prepared. The miracle of recovery is that WE DO RECOVER! Never stop believing--- YOU CAN DO THIS!

Oh, water, water, water!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 7

Although the initial horrible withdrawal symptoms are gone, I tried to leave the house today. I was only able to socialize for about 3 hours before I felt sick again, couldn't cope, and wanted to use. Instead I drove home, crying all the way. How could I have gotten myself in so deep? I was trying to fix my mind but ended up punishing it and my body. How am I going to ever be happy again? And the timing! I decide to get clean two weeks before the vacation I have planned with a huge group of friends for over a year now. I'm scared...
Old 08-03-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang In There, The Devil Is Trying To Bring You Down! Pray, There Is A Light At The End Of This Tunnel, You Can See It! Run Towards It! Stay Calm!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your recovery is the most important thing right now. You should feel better by the time you go on vacation. But temptation to get high will always be there so find ways to deal with cravings. Once you feel up to it you can go to NA meetings or find outlets (walking, excercise, hobbies) to keep your mind off of using.
Keep up the great work you are doing so good and you are almost over the physical pain of withdrawal.

Christie
Old 08-04-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"Although the initial horrible withdrawal symptoms are gone, I tried to leave the house today. I was only able to socialize for about 3 hours before I felt sick again, couldn't cope, and wanted to use. Instead I drove home, crying all the way. How could I have gotten myself in so deep? I was trying to fix my mind but ended up punishing it and my body. How am I going to ever be happy again? And the timing! I decide to get clean two weeks before the vacation I have planned with a huge group of friends for over a year now. I'm scared..."

I feel exactly the same way, like a broken person, and that this choice to get clean did more damage than strength to me. I wish someone would post a timeline of when to really expect to be normal, both physically, socially, and emotionally... Social situations scare me to death, and that is unfortuanlly my bread and butter for income...as i am also on detox day 7 or 8, and wow...i'm still bonned.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 9 here and my stomach and head are killing me again. I can't eat or drink anything but water without feeling sick. I'm completely useless... I can do nothing productive during the day. My body hurts so much I even called the after hours nurse to see if this was still withdrawal or if I have something else wrong with me. Right now, the only temptation to use is to take away the pain, but that would mean having to go through all this again and I refuse. The nurse said I was a very strong person to have stopped on my own and not used again. I luckily have wonderful parents who are with me every step, even if I have burdened them with my horrible selfishness.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I can't say I haven't tried to drink. I did yesterday and I got horribly sick immediately and it all came right back up. My body basically has built-in antabuse; it HATES alcohol. I no longer enjoy the feeling of alcohol, but yet when I am around others who drink, I so wish I could join them. It was so stupid of me... so day 9 no morphine, day 1 no alcohol. I hate this, I always slip. And my head is KILLING me.