Notices

Attitude of Gratitude!!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attitude of Gratitude!!!!

Hi Family!

I have had the most awesome day and I would just like to share it with you all! I shared some of it in a meeting tonight but in order to keep it not too long I just shared in general.

Today I FINALLY got word that I have "officially" gotten the job that I have been waiting for a year to get!!!!!! Same company, which is great because I think I work for the greatest company ever but different department and different responsibilities and most important, opportunity for growth!!!!!!!!!

This past year has been a test of patience, praying for God's will and not my own and being willing to accept if it was not His will that I move, dealing with the hurt feelings of a manager who treated me like crap when she found out I was trying to leave her department, plugging away and not retaliating against the cold shoulder and letting her work through it and finally today working through my transition with her with a sense of closure and assurance that I will not just abandon my post but will develop procedures and instructions for my current job and will train whoever replaces me.

You may wonder what in the world this has to do with sobriety. I got this job when I was 3 months sober. I have had to literally grow up in front of them, each review has been like a mini 4th and 5th step with the manager I mentioned, I've had to learn to place principles before personalities and basically work a program outside the rooms of AA. It hasn't always been pretty and at times downright ugly LOL! People have actually noticed my increased self-confidence and the changes to my personality and commented on them. It has been a good training ground!

Now, for the very best part of my day and the icing on the cake. I got a call from a friend of mine. She has been battling the bottle for a while, knew I was in AA and has casually "monitored" my progress. A few months ago she admitted a problem with alcohol and sought my counsel. I shared experience, strength and hope with her but also gave her info on other programs besides AA that I was told about here in order to give her choices. She wanted to try to moderate (who among us wants to give up LOL!) so I shared information on that and then told her how my efforts at moderation worked for me. They didn't. I left it alone and didn't press any further except to tell her anytime she needed anything to let me know. She called this morning and is ready to try AA. She is sick and tired of being sick and tired so I gave her the number to Intergroup and told her what to expect and tried to allay her fears about her first meeting!

People, through sobriety and just not drinking today I have been a walking Big Book to another suffering alcoholic!! What a gift and a blessing!!! We are all that! Others watch us when we don't even know it and see how we're managing to make it through the day sober and it gives them hope that they can do it too. They watch us when times are good and they especially watch us when times are hard. I know I had to watch others before I got even a glimmer of hope that it might work for me too!

If you have made it this far, thank you so much for sharing in my joy of recovery today!

Hugs to you all!
Kellye
Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

God's will Indeed

Congratulations KD! I've been reading through some of your threads and was amazed at the steady strength under fire you've exhibited. You earned this. Your employers probably see you as a leader now. They probably kick back on the weekend and down a few and think "Wow, Kellye is stronger than me now in some ways. I want that kind of character to rub off on the others. To heck to where she's been--it's where she's headed."

They see your sincerity too. I felt it form your first post. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Congratulations, Kellye! Wonderful work! Wonderful rewards! Also, your self-awareness of your personal change and growth is really something!

When I was a child, I was told, "Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you'll break your arm." The hell with them! If you break your arm, I'll buy you a sling!

Celebrate!