Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I Am Back-does Anyone Know How Long It Takes To Get Alcohol Out Of Your System?

Notices

Old 07-30-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had been on this forum months ago and I was doing good for awhile but have slipped back into drinking again and I think i asked this question back then, does anyone know how long it takes for alcohol to get out of your system?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would guess somewhere around 48 hours or so that it might show in your urine, but I don't know and I could be way off.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
REZ

Glad you're back at SR. Have you tried going to AA meetings? AA has saved my life and could save yours. SR is a useful forum, but it cannot, in my opinion, take the place of sharing with real people in real time.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went to a couple but my license is suspended so i can't drive until December and my husband has issues of his own, only drives when he has too, he is bi-polar and also has a problem with leaving the house unless he has to I may be able to get him to take me, I went to a couple of meetings before a court date I had for a 2nd DWI cause my lawyer said it might help my case and then I had to spend 2 weeks in county jail and I went to one while I was in jail and it did help.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a tear

Hi Needtobe... I was told for some folks it can be gone in as little as 8 hours.

Welcome back, hope you can stay!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rez, also thanks for the advice I know I need some type of outside counseling.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi,
My hubby agrees that it is usually 2 days, but I would add that for each person it may vary. Fluid intake and metabolism may be factors.
I hope that helps.
cmc
Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for everybody's input, I was thinking about 1-2 days for me anyway-maybe 2 full days.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

I think the higher levels can go away in a few days but the residual amounts can take longer.

And don't forget about the physical cravings -- your cells asking for more alcohol so they don't have to switch back to functioning without the higher levels. It can take a couple weeks for your body to fully adjust back and even then, there's repair work that needs to be done.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, taking into account that most basic detox's I've heard of take are c10-14 days in duration, I would guess that this is how long it takes to get all out of your system physically and then come down from the worst of the DT's, cravings etc.

My wife was in one in the UK last year for 12 days. But as she pretty much went straight back onto the booze, it is clear that this may have constituted a "physical" detox but was not adequate to mentally help her beat her addiciton.

Huge respect for your efforts and honesty but DO go and get support and counselling.

Never mind the car to get to a AA meeting, take a cab, a bus or even walk (that would be so good for you !!). You will need the support to beat this and there really is so much out there for you if YOU REALLY WANT IT.

Thoughts and hopes are with you.
Pete.