Notices

Day 4...Feeling GREAT,,THEN...

Old 07-28-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Day 4...Feeling GREAT,,THEN...

Some friends of ours here on the base are coming over tonight. They all got babysitters and are coming to congratulate and celebrate my husband making rank. Well, the calls already started, "What do you want to drink?" I swear the military is ONE place where there is ALWAYS plenty of alcohol. My husband even said he never saw people drink so much until he joined. Said he watched more people go though withdrawls while over in the sand box because there is very little or no booze.
Anyway, one of the wives and I could always REALLY tie one on. My husband doesn't drink at all so they know I always have. I've come this far and feel good, so I told her I'm not feeling well that I won't be drinking tonight. She laughed....
I still know there is going to be quite a bit of beer here....I can say right now that I don't even want any, heck ya'll there has been a bottle of beer, (yes, it's real not full of water ) sitting in the fridge since Monday when I stopped. Have looked at it everyday I open the fridge and have had no urge to touch it.
I guess this will be my first test. I'm going to make sure that I don't touch even one, because I know if I do....I will be so disappointed in myself. 4 days is 4 days right? I'll just chug a glass of water with every beer they put back.
We'll see how it goes!! Thanks for listening! Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Jen
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ya Jen,

You have made a wonderful decision. You are likely pretty early on to be faced with the challenge of a party... but, rely on your husband for strength as he obviously has a great deal. Discuss some options with him for you not drinking at the party... have a fall back plan to rely on...

Peace, Levi
Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hope it goes well.
i did the same thing last week, 4 days but then i screwed up...
the whole time i had about five beers in the fridge and rarely had the urge to touch them but then...
try try try.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I entertain alot, I find keeping busy in the kitchen helps a bunch, plus keeping something with you to drink at all times.

Last party Ieven mad the frozen drink (with alot less alcohol that in years pas and this time I made the kid theirs first and kept one for me. Funny thing, no urges to speak of.

Stay strong, sneak off and post if you can, it helps.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...just a few words of encouragment really help! A part of me is really looking foward though to being sober for a change, and to see how people are going to act. My husband always gets a kick out of watching people when they are drunk, guess I'll give it a try!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcoholics are the best liars in the world am I right? Just tell whoever that you got an infection and you can't drink while you're taking the medication. Most people will accept that & move on. If they get really nosy then you can bet that person has a drinking problem and REALLY wants somebody to get wasted with - make a note to avoid that person in the future!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Beernut, I've been thinking about you!
Yes, best liars in the world I must say. My husband even said some of the things I tried to trick him with, ie., water in beer bottles then back in the fridge, water in wine bottles..etc. He said if I put that creative use to something positive there is no telling what I could come up with.
The infection/medication excuse is a great idea, we are both nurses so I know exactly what to tell her...thanks!
Last night though, my husband and I "cleared" our all my hiding spots, well what I thought were hiding spots but he knows where they all were. Over a 3 week period I accumulated...I'm embarassed to say...but Oh well.. maybe someone can relate....
5 bottles of wine, 3 six packs, 4 pints of vodka and a ton of minatures ..It was VERY sobering! That was over several weeks, but still it was embarassing. I feel better though, getting it out of the house has made me feel better.
Hope you are doing well!!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh GREAT!!!
Guess the guys have all pitched in and they are brining a KEG
I'll just sit in the corner with my water and do this
Old 07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talk about embarrasing, putting my trash out after a binge weekend is embarrasing. I'm like - "I hope nobody looks in here & sees how many empty beer cans there are because everybody knows there wasn't a party here this weekend". Not this weekend!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turkey
5 bottles of wine, 3 six packs, 4 pints of vodka and a ton of minatures ..It was VERY sobering! That was over several weeks, but still it was embarassing. I feel better though, getting it out of the house has made me feel better.
Hope you are doing well!!
HA HAHHAAHAHHAAAA HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA HAHA!

sometimes we just crack myself up!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What was fun was trying to find all the hiding spots. Hell, I'd forgotten about some of where they were but hubby knew where to look. In between the mattresses...ya'll.... have you ever heard such a thing?
That's where the vodka bottles were, tells your alot about what kind of effect vodka has on me....haha...I know it's not funny but it gave me the kick in the arse that I needed.
Beernut, at least you put them where they belonged, in the trash can!
I hope I don't offend some with my warped sense of humor, but if I can't laugh a little about this, I and my husband will go crazy. Thank God for his sense of humor and strength or Lord knows where I'd be.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Laughing is better than crying and haven't we all done enough of that?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I hope I don't offend some with my warped sense of humor, but if I can't laugh a little about this, I and my husband will go crazy. Thank God for his sense of humor and strength or Lord knows where I'd be.
Mine's pretty twisted too. But, if I couldn't laugh at myself, I doubt I could live with myself.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm also a big believer in laughter. I laugh at myself because I'm sometimes completely ridiculous.

Kevin
Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Have you noticed that we alcoholics find some of the weirdest things funny--things that no "normal" person would laugh at? My sponsor told me about being in a bar, going to the toilet, and falling asleep. She woke up after about 20 minutes. We thought it was hysterical....other people just looked at us like we were nuts.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I just reveived a private message from someone that obvuoisly has issues with me. Wow, I thought people on here are suppose to be able to talk to eachother openly.
EVERYONE deals with things differently. Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone, but at least I'm trying to be honset about what I am going through and how I'm dealing with it.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't let others drag you down with their negativity. The fact that you can laugh during this process proves that you have spirit. No matter where you go there are those who try to drag you down. They're miserable so they want to make sure you are too. Getting sober is a joyous thing. let's enjoy it!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Beernut! Well, I guess I misunderstood that person...oops...a new thing this....thinking while sober! The gang is starting to arrive, the Keg has been tapped, I have my BIG glass of water with lemon...I am determined to have good news for ya'll tomorrow....stating day 5!!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

Thorn
Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Turkey,

I have been reading your thread and just want to say "you go girl"!!

Laughter thru tears is my favorite emotion.

Your positive attitude and outlook will help keep you moving forward in your recovery.

About the hiding spots, I flipped over my mattress the other night and realized it must have been three years since I flipped it last because I found a six pack holder folded up between the mattress and box spring!!

How utterly ridiculous are we when we are actively drinking.

I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow and the success you had tonight.

Peace,
Rose

Last edited by roketscientst@a; 07-28-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Profile snafu