Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 4--Need SR friends to check in with me after peer pressure test this weekend

Notices

Day 4--Need SR friends to check in with me after peer pressure test this weekend

Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Those have been my thoughts exactly Kellye.

I'm flat-out awestruck by the people here--and the warm responses to my problems. I hate to admit it, but growing up, I thought that people who had problems with alcohol were weak.

Now I know better--at least if the people here are any indication. These people are courageous, selfless and giving. They face life for what it is and not what they want it to be. They seem to understand how precious, and precarious, life really is--and they just want to live in the moment and help others do the same.

Weak my A**!!!!!!

I'm striving to be as weak as these SR folks!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Talking Yayness - Happiness - Good Thoughts

YAY - good on you for doing so well - what a weekend to be proud of - you are so brave and strong for getting through it. Thank you for sharing on this thread - I think it helps when we just let it all out for anyone who wants to read, thats what works for me anyway.

I'm so proud of you for making it through!!!!!

Old 07-30-2006, 08:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks Dreamz for your enthusiastic support from the southern hemisphere! I guess the support from SR comes from all over the world. Thanks again. Stay strong.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Paused

Giving in to alcohol is a sign of weakness. Standing up against it and winning, is a true sign of strength.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I think it's super that so many folks have been keeping an eye on this post. You see so many recountings of "I had a rotten weekend and I relapsed posts" - it's sad to "come in on the plot line" when things have already taken an unhappy turn. I think your story is special not just because it worked out well for you (and it's wonderful that it did), but because you really showed us a shining example of what proactive sobriety is all about - you saw a stressfull time coming, you planned your actions, asked for support in advance (lined up the sobriety cop patrol), and then stuck to your strategy and your resolution. I think too often when we give up alcohol, drugs, or any addiction we feel we're left to the not-so-tender mercies of the world with no recourse other than to tough it out "one day at a time" - you've shown all of us here at SR that we don't have to just passively hang on to our sobriety and hope that good intentions will suffice, we can actively fight for it!

(cue Edna Mode - "get out there - fight! WIN!!!!")
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wishful,

Are you sure you are not a therapist posing as someone like me...Your kind and profound comments make me feel like I should be shelling out about $130 per hour Have you ever considered counseling as a profession? (Seriously.)

Thanks again for all your wisdom and pickmeups. Let me know if I can ever help you out.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:28 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

BTW:

As I was going to bed, I checked the wine cabinet and noticed that my wife had ZERO to drink yesterday!

She never said a word about it to me but I'm very proud of her. She seemed to toss and turn all night but I didn't notice night sweats or anything like what I went through. I'm not sure she is going to abstain tonight--it might have been harder to sleep than she anticipated but I'm happy to see is willing, and able, to take a day off without too much discomfort. Hopefully she'll never get as far down the road as I did.

I never said a word to her about it. I didn't want her to think I thought it was a big deal and that I would expect more of this. I just put my arm around her and hoped she could get some sleep. I felt sorry for her that she didn't have all the SR folks for moral support. Uhoh...what if she finds and joins! I'd better hope she never runs across these posts or she'll know exactly who posted!!! Oh my God...I'd be in soooo much trouble
Old 07-31-2006, 07:22 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
T-Time

Wink Keep On Moving!

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts, we make our world. -Buddha

I think you're doing an excellent job communicating and just doing! Keep it up!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:27 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Nope, they've always told me I have bad people skills - seriously! Wonderful news about your wife - bet you're so proud of her! I got so inspired I changed my avatar
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by ibhmn

Now I know better--at least if the people here are any indication. These people are courageous, selfless and giving. They face life for what it is and not what they want it to be. They seem to understand how precious, and precarious, life really is--and they just want to live in the moment and help others do the same.
Thank you, I know we try.

Those that fight addiction are not the weak ones. Even those that fail often fight the good fight. They may not have the proper tools (and I'm not just speaking of program tools here, but life tools in general).

Remember that when you speak of "they" you really mean "we" and "us" because my dear friend, you are also a member of SR.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:39 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tranquilityt
We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts, we make our world. -Buddha
Thanks for the great quote and kind words. My situation sounds like a walk in the park compared to being around your Father in Law. Can't he move back to Texas?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wishful
Nope, they've always told me I have bad people skills - seriously! Wonderful news about your wife - bet you're so proud of her! I got so inspired I changed my avatar
Maybe you need to find a new "they"

You're a very nuturing person. "We" get that--even if "they" don't...

and Yep...I'm proud of her...not trying to expect her be where I am though since she didn't ever get to feeling as bad as I did...and Gosh forbid, if I relapse, I'll be hoping to be where she is now...

I guess it is a good sign that she felt I didn't need to stop--but underneath it all we knew change was needed. My biggest driver for change is that I don't want my teenage son to be able to call me a hypocrite if I catch him with alcohol on his breath when he comes home.

If he were to die on a car wreck and was drunk--I would NEVER forgive myself for the poor example I set that may have contributed to his death.

Take care...

P.S. Love the new Avatar. I wish I knew how to personalize like everyone else. I need to do some homework now that I've got all this free (non-drinking) time.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alera

Remember that when you speak of "they" you really mean "we" and "us" because my dear friend, you are also a member of SR.
I'm honored to be considered part of the SR gang. I've got a lot of learning to do but I'm feeling a lot better about everything than I was a few days ago. The SR community has been a blessing.

Thanks again

Take care