Notices

hope (i hope)

Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hope (i hope)

hello, and hope that we all become friends here. i am a new member(as new as it gets) and im starting a new thread to seek help for my addiction. i lived in las vegas for 23 years, and in 1998, was sent to the hospital with a serious siatic nerve condition. during the dr visit, the doctor could tell the only relief i could get, was lying on my left side. ( i looked pretty silly in the waiting room on the floor). when i was looked over and the dr determined that the best course of action was a shot of demerol, which i did not want, but was talked into by my girlfriend at the time. i was prescribed soma and vicodin and to be honest i didnt want these either, for i had always been afraid of drugs legal or not. im still alive, but 1998 was the beginning of a slow death for me. i found out very quickly how much i enjoyed the way the meds made me feel. after about 2 weeks, i got better with the sciatica and finised all my meds. it was to late, for as i said, the opiate pills give me a strength that ive never had before. (not a physical strength, but a mental strength). i found out really quickly that i could not function in the a.m. unless i had pills, so i started buying them illegally. (blue footballs or little green meanies) im sure alot of you know where im coming from. long story short, i went from someone that was afraid of drugs to someone who would be on the phone constantly setting up deals. after reading some of these stories, i just cant believe it. 30 to 40 pills a day? i cant even imagine that and if thats the next road, i want to seek help now. this is a contious effort on my part, and i am seeking help from anyone and everyone that feels they can help in there expiriances and there road to recovery. i am taking 8 to 13 7.5 vicodine a day, every day. im not afraid to quit, for i feel in my heart of hearts, i can do this. what i am afraid of is the withdrawl. please post any and all info on your ways of dealing with witdrawl, for i think the best advice should come from those who know best. those in recovery. can you help me please. oreo
Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Oreo,

I am glad you have decided to take action and stop using pills. Please keep posting because there's lots of support here.

Others will be along who can offer you advice about withdrawl from pills.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oreo..welcome to SR this site has really helped me in my recovery, I am an addict ...I too love the pills and developed quite a habit over a 10 year period.
You are smart to stop ...as you see this disease is progressive and fatal.

I am 51 days clean today and though I still struggle It has been better than living my life around pills.
Good luck and again welcome
~B
Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Oreo and welcome to SR!!

Ohhhhhhh the "good ole' vics" I love the way they make me feel but am really fortunate that I cant take them due to an allergy but I can relate to you. On the withdrawls, I have a friend who is terminally ill ( last stage cancer) and the doctors were giving him literally an inlimited supply.......until the night he took 4 7s plus oxys, morphine, and muscle relaxers which he washed down with a rum and coke.......he honestly didnt know he was doing anything wrong because he was taking the "allowed" amount. Hubby and I found him unconscious an hour later and he woke up to us, 2 cops, and 3 paremedics standing over his bed.......anyway, thats when we went to the docs and redid the medicine plan.....

The first thing they did was stop the vics......his withdrawls lasted about a week and consisted of, diarrhea, dry mouth headache, loss of appetite, shakes, dizziness, sleeplessness, depression.

For him and I would reccomend to you, first off, if you can seek the advice of a doctor!!!!! This is so important when detoxing from anything!!!! Keep plenty of juice or gatorade and easy fingerfoods handy, during your worst times, try to keep busy, Drink plenty of water!!! Get rid of those phone contacts so that when the temptation strikes, you cant pick up the phone and make the deal. Find a meeting or therapist or both to help you through and give you advice. And again, see a doctor, I cant stress this enough, there are taper drugs to help ease the withdrawls!!!!
Meanwhile, keep posting and reading here!!!! This place has saved my life! So much info. and support!!!!! Stay strong, you CAN do this!!!!!!
Liss
Old 07-21-2006, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi

Originally Posted by Lollipop
Hi Oreo and welcome to SR!!

Ohhhhhhh the "good ole' vics" I love the way they make me feel but am really fortunate that I cant take them due to an allergy but I can relate to you. On the withdrawls, I have a friend who is terminally ill ( last stage cancer) and the doctors were giving him literally an inlimited supply.......until the night he took 4 7s plus oxys, morphine, and muscle relaxers which he washed down with a rum and coke.......he honestly didnt know he was doing anything wrong because he was taking the "allowed" amount. Hubby and I found him unconscious an hour later and he woke up to us, 2 cops, and 3 paremedics standing over his bed.......anyway, thats when we went to the docs and redid the medicine plan.....

The first thing they did was stop the vics......his withdrawls lasted about a week and consisted of, diarrhea, dry mouth headache, loss of appetite, shakes, dizziness, sleeplessness, depression.

For him and I would reccomend to you, first off, if you can seek the advice of a doctor!!!!! This is so important when detoxing from anything!!!! Keep plenty of juice or gatorade and easy fingerfoods handy, during your worst times, try to keep busy, Drink plenty of water!!! Get rid of those phone contacts so that when the temptation strikes, you cant pick up the phone and make the deal. Find a meeting or therapist or both to help you through and give you advice. And again, see a doctor, I cant stress this enough, there are taper drugs to help ease the withdrawls!!!!
Meanwhile, keep posting and reading here!!!! This place has saved my life! So much info. and support!!!!! Stay strong, you CAN do this!!!!!!
Liss
hello lollipop, and thanks so much for the advice. i just woke up and had to come on this site to see if i had any posters, (have a feeling this site is gonna be my best friend for a while). theres no doubt in my mind that this isnt gonna be a cake walk. im a shy, negative person when im off the meds, and the life of the party when im high, which should tell me something right there. thankfully, i never had an issue with alcohol. i am happy to be here and to get insight from the people that want to help others. thanks again oreo
Old 07-21-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smyle
oreo..welcome to SR this site has really helped me in my recovery, I am an addict ...I too love the pills and developed quite a habit over a 10 year period.
You are smart to stop ...as you see this disease is progressive and fatal.

I am 51 days clean today and though I still struggle It has been better than living my life around pills.
Good luck and again welcome
~B
thank you smyle for your words of incouragment. 51 days? thats great. i cant even imagine 2 days at this point. thanks again.