Notices

This is tougher than i thought

Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is tougher than i thought

So everything was going well on day one, no cravings no urges.....Than dinner time came. My wife went to olive garden to get take out, and she asks if i need anything from the store. My first impulse is to say yea get some beer. Of course i didn't tell her that, but now i'm craving big time....I haven't really had a sober day yet, i am still a little hung over from yesterday's events that lead to my decision to quit. I guess its pretty easy not to drink when your hungover and all you want to do is go to sleep....We will see how things start going in a few days. For the first time ever i can feel that damn cloud that everyone talkings about and it just doesn't want to leave. All this after about 2 gallons of water throughout the day...when will it stop? The feelings of shame, guilt, and embarassment are gonna be gone in a few days, probably sooner than that, all it will take is to go to work and face the people i got drunk with. Anyway enough of my blabbering.....When will this cloud leave?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..glad to have you here..i don't know "when" the cloud will leave, but i know it gets easier, and i know when the shame and the remorse, and the guilt subside, the cycle begins to repeat itself..that is when you need to say NO..Meetings, got to get to Meetings, start using the tools and the resources, find a sponsor..get your life back..it is one of the hardest things to do, but i "read" the determination in your post because it is familiar to me, i had the same determination, and i am almost 64 days clean..it will get easier, one day at a time, and just remember, "This Too Shall Pass", the cravings, or the little voice telling you to drink..it is life, or no life, and you can do this..we are all here to help you in your time of need..keep coming back and there will be many others along to give you more suggestions, advice and support..i am new to recovery, so i just speak from the heart and what comes to mind that is the best thing i can do..hang in there, help is on the way, and so far, you are doing very well, you are here, that is a big step, so good for you..best wishes to you..
Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The thing about going to meetings--whether it's AA or some other kind--is you meet people going through the same thing and those who are up the road a piece. In a group we get a bigger picture, a better idea what we're dealing with, and more resources to work with. In AA they say "90 meetings in 90 days", but it's one day at a time, and it's not like you're selling your soul away. So you give it a shot for 90 days and then see what's what.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AMD, you will start to feel better probly after a week or two (don't quote me on this tho). This is just my personal experience. After a week of stopping drinking straight vodka I was totally fine. But I had a big slip today. Now I will be starting back tomorrow at DAY 1. But I WAS proud of myself for this past week and half or so I haven't drank. You WILL get thru the cravings. I did. I drank again today because I'm an idiot, not because I had a craving for it.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...there is no definate answer...Sorry

I can say this...drinking again will keep the fog blanketing your brain.

See if this helps explain..

http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm

Please look here for our personal experiences in de toxing.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

It's a good start that you did not drink today!
Way to go!