Notices

What's Your Favorite Exercise Now That You Are In Recovery?

Old 07-15-2006, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's Your Favorite Exercise Now That You Are In Recovery?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Has anyone picked up a new excerise or hobby now that you are beginning a new life sober and clean?

Me, i have begun walking and jogging 2 miles almost everyday.

It is good exercise and lots of fresh air. Hot and humid this time of the yr down here in south Houston, Texas, but im still trudging. : ):Wshade

It is hard for me to commit to anything because i dont follow thru with them. In the past i have joined health clubs with a 3 month committment but would fall apart after 2 months if not before then.

So i invested in my own weight beach, free weights :Weightlif and other exercise equipement. I would use them from time to time, get burned out and stop.

For 3 months or more i have been going to a nearby park to walk and jog. That is a real milestone for me to continue on as long as i have with real determination. It's like I really WANT to do this. Not that i have to but i want to. And I am. It's pretty cool.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I have maintained a healthy exercise regimen since I've gotten sober also. I work out on a stair climber, use free weights and do some general stretches, leg lifts and sit ups. I love to walk and really should get out more and enjoy...
Old 07-15-2006, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live and work in the downtown area of a city, so I walk everywhere all the time. It's great!

I also do yoga a couple of times a week and I work on weights. I have pre-osteoporosis in my back and working on weights helps build muscle and that is the best exercise you can do to strenghten your bones.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is odd, because although i love to excersise, i actually excersised more when i was using, go figure, but i have started back on my treadmill, i love to push mow my LARGE lawn, and i love to do Leslie Sansone's "Walk away the Pounds, because you can do it in your home, at your own time, and at your own pace..another hobby i have picked up is learning everything i can about living sobriety, but that is a must....i think this is a great thread, we can all get different ideas..i would love to go to the park and start walking, just for something different to do..
Old 07-15-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GREAT POSTS from all the above so far. VERY INCOURAGING.

I have always been health conscience from as young as i can remember. I think its because i like to eat and i know it is extremely easy for me to gain weight. So i have always had this battle going on within myself to TRY and look good and feel better.

I picked up this saying somewhere along the way about if you lift weights it wards of diseases. Hmmmm....I am healthy as a far as normal illnesses..but what happen when it came to Alcoholism. I drank to give me that extra boost to exercise. The more i drank ....THE MORE i DRANK AND LESS EXERCISE. : )

Today is totally different. I WANT TO WALK. I CANT WAIT TO WALK.....

Is this another obsession? If it is , i hope i continue to realize that ...all in moderation. One day at a time. As soon as i get tired of it and its not fun anymore then i will stop. I hope it wont be tho.

Im sooooooo looking forward to the FALL WEATHER. COOLER TEMPTS.

The last time i walked in the park when it was cold i couldnt wait to get the walking over with and go in where it was warm. If i can go walk now at the park....which is a very nice park which winds around several little league ball parks and lots of soccor feilds and picnic areas for 2 miles....in the blistering heat...then i dont think i will mind the cold or cooler weather soon to be here in a few months or so. : )

I CAN'T WAIT.

COME JOIN ME ..ANYONE. : )
Old 07-15-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

:Jumprope:
Old 07-15-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Old 07-15-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

and
Old 07-15-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL....I can handle the jump roping and possibly the Mocarina...BUT....NO picking in ur nose Norgard...lol
Old 07-15-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by aasharon90
LOL....I can handle the jump roping and possibly the Mocarina...BUT....NO picking in ur nose Norgard...lol
Oh I thought that was a brain surgery pic
Old 07-15-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HaHa.... : ) Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I walk and swim every day, but my main exercise is bellydancing. I havenīt found a better way to keep fit. Itīs the fountain of youth, plus you get firm muscles on your arms, legs, stomach without having to scream for effort. You dance to a wonderful music, itīs sensual and relaxing.

When I started to get emotionally sober - years after being physically sober, I needed to develop a sport or dance to keep my body in shape. I find it essential for my recovery, because when I was using, my body was a mess. I promised to give a healthy activity 100% effort.

Itīs now a passionate hobby and I am always learning new steps and moves.

I recommend it!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sharon, good job on commiting to making yourself stay doing the jogging. I am still in the unmotivated faze. but i will hopefully get there. I used to go to the gym, as torturous as it was, i aleays felt better after.

have a great night
mertyl
Old 07-15-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Running and riding my bike.
Loved both before and am starting to enjoy them again now!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I haven't tried the belly dancing. I wonder if i got a tape and watched it on tv if i could learn to swivel my hips....lol I know if i could make myself go to a club and dance drunk and shake my bootie then i guess i can TRY belly dancing. Hey, anything is possible. : ) Im sure it is good exercice.

Getting motivated is something i have trouble with. But once i get started then im ok. M-O-T-I-V-A-T-I-O-N. If u have a sober and clean friend to join u then it makes it that much more enjoyable. Esp. with walking....the 2 of u can gab the whole time walking and before u know it u have MILES behind u...lol Or a jogging buddy...my daughter and I go together and she is half my age, but she has inspired me to keep it up. We jog insync or in rythem with each other. Just listen to their feet and join in with the same step.

Just like our program...if we begin going to meetings and we continue to go even if we r not actually motivated, but we know its good for us, we will eventually get into the HABIT...a good habit of going and before u know it u have collected many one days at a time sober and clean.

I have a buddy that rides her bike to work everyday and shes older than i. To me she is an inspiration because if she can ride a bike at her age and look good then so can i. Who knows..i may eventually buy me a bike. Anything is possible.

Thanks for some good exercise ideas.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Its nice to borrow some of your positive energy. And as for the belly dancing. I have a funny story for you. My friend and i signed up for classes last winter. The instructor was in her early 60's and moved better than any of us. There was only 8 of us in her class and on the third lesson, we were all sprawled out doing our warm ups, which involved a lot of, if you will, sexual looking sit ups. In the midst of the butt clamps, someone let out the loudest toot I think i have ever heard and it took everything all of us had from busting out laughing because we knew the girl was highly embarrassed. lol.
Belly dancing is not as easy as it looks, but it is fun. Buying a tape before going to a class is a great idea. Because i prepaid and found I really wasnt that interested in it. And neither was my friend. So we stopped going and lost the money. lesson learned.

Have a great sober day
Old 07-16-2006, 06:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just returned from an early morning walk/jog at my nearby park. I thought id take advantage of doing this before the heat index reaches 100 today.

Its amazing to see others up and about early in the morning. I use to be one of those out and about in the WEE WEE hours just waking up from who know where with who know who after a fantastic night of drinking dancing and etc etc. coming home with remorse and a hangover.

Id think...OMG what have i done now. I swore the night before i would JUST go to the club and LISTEN TO MUCIC and return home hmmmm at a reasonable hour. YEAH RIGHT...How many times did i say that before.

Anyway....today, i get up at 5 am go to bed at a reasonable hour...10pm. No remorse no hangover.....I go to a little part time job 3 days a week, home with my family pets and exercise daily.

Exercise is good. As i was on my way to walk/jog i thought about this saying i had heard before in a meeting....

TAKE THE BODY AND THE MIND WILL FOLLOW.

I continue to take my body to work, exercise ,AA and eventually the mind follows and I understand why it is important to do those things we procrastinate on.

Im happy to be sober today. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

my job requires me to be up between 3 and 6 am so icant sleep in, even on the weekends. sleeping in is 7 at best. But taking a walk right now sounds great.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Sharing My Own Experiences Strengths And Hope With You

Sometimes we need to find balance in our lives. With juggling families, jobs meals, shopping, paying bills, schedules and incorparating exercise and most of our recovery is important.

I like going to walk or jog by myself because it gives me a place to go away from people. The park i go to is very nice and now that i know whats the best time to go i can avoid the evening crowd. I can also avoid the hypocrites that drive by and yell out the window "GOOOO GRANDMA." : (

I didnt find that funny at the time because it hurt my feelings. Im not a grandma yet and there will time for that sometime down the road in my life.

People can be cruel. I know because i had to endure all that when i was in grade and high school.

I use to go walking looking nice and all then my daughter suggested that i go comfortable and that no one is out there to win a beauty contest. For me to not look my best when i go out takes work on my part. Thats learning how to put my selfish pride aside. Anyway....i do go now not worrying about how i look but to look at this as going to work. I want to walk and jog. Its that important to me. And to avoid ridicule i go at times when i am alone. Well with a few others not many tho.

Solitude is what i like. Time to reflect on my recovery . My life before during and after Alcoholism. And most of all today to be ever grateful for the second chance in life helping other people in recovery stay clean and sober one day at a time by sharing my own experiences strengths and hopes with them.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Wink

I get enough exercise just doing the stuff that I do on a daily basis. Now if I were behind a computer all day or at a office position then I might consider something like a gym, but trust me when you lift tons of weight each day, or spend all day doing sheet rock work, you don't need exercise.