Notices

What's Your Favorite Exercise Now That You Are In Recovery?

Old 07-16-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My new hobby is Origami. I love doing it, and am making some awesome things with a single piece of paper. It is amazing. It reinforces that I am sober as well because origami takes patience, precision, and my mind has to be on that piece of paper or I will make a fold the wrong way and mess it up.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thumbs up What Is It That Vic Does?

Hey, that's right Vic I forgot. I think u remind me of an....hmmmm...help me out here.....not an aromatic...lol thats something that smells... or is it an acrobatic...lol that someone who hangs upside down. on noooo im in big trouble....lol What im trying to say is....should i be quiet now....haha

You do enough exercise with ur trade...hammering, lifting, nailing, hauling, climbing, crawling, sweating, missing....lol like ur fingers before u hit them with a hammer...lol ummmmm....praying u dont fall from the ruff....should i go on.....

You can add on to my list if u wish so we all can know EXACTLY what it is you do....
Old 07-16-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cool Alera. My kids learned how to do that. If you learn how to do a RECOVERY symbol for AA and NA ...id like one for AA. Ill send u my address and u can send me one. ok? Or u know...u could go on Ebay and sell them....im always looking to see whats available in there with recovery. In fact i do have an unusual back window decal from there. The origami would be something delicate and special...place it in a sweet little box for keep sake. : )

Great talent.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

At first I was walking a mile or 2 most days, but I found it boring. Then I started a walk/jog/walk routine and strained MCL's in both knees. Couldn't walk for 2 weeks. And then, the most wonderful thing happened. I found an old rusty mountain bike in the trash. The tires, innertube & brake pads were dry rotted. I invested $27 to get it up and running. The bike has changed my life. I ride 6-10 miles everyday and I feel great!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have thought about investing in a bike even tho i havent ridden one in yrs. I dont know if i can even get on one...lol Maybe i can get one with training wheels to begin...lol Still its good exercise.

My daughter just went to the doctor today for a check up and told them she was jogging, walking, running. And that she would experience back pains from time to time...not often. She's 19 and had gone thru all her high school yrs playing in the marching band. She also joined the Univer. of Houston Band for 2 semesters. So she has had quite a few yrs of grueling marches on the field with games and competitions. Anyway....that and running may have put alot of strain on her back. Well the doctor told her NOT to run on a cement sidewalk but to find rubber which would be easier on the back, legs and feet.

So i may have to heed her advice too if i dont want problems later on in life because of my walking and jogging.

Can i just find some rubber insoles for my shoes to absorb the constant pounding of my feet on the walk?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Any good exercising going on today? Providing weather permitting. It's pretty warm down here in Texas for running outside unless its early early morning or later evening.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I really enjoy running. I always feel so much more refreshed and happier after I get finished. Sometimes it is hard to get motivated but I always feel better when I get it done.

I'm about to try pushups and situps lol.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

I have been a gym rat since the 80's. When I got sober in '94 that did not change much, other than I do more cardio now and I quit smoking in '95. I took up motorcycle road racing after I got sober, so that was probably the most radical hobby change.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Im a cyclist, No dont run me over ....! I love it i use my bike every day nearly.It gets me most places. Really fast...!

When i get all het up n frustrated i go down to the park and run like a nutter, to get rid of the energy. It helps blow away the cob webs..

. A visual metaphor for what I do to me, and the bike.

Someone once said to me if the bikes hard work Disapline it. So i do....! :
Old 07-19-2006, 03:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

I like pilates.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I ride my bike in the morning (I bought it the week I got sober) and whenever I feel a craving come on. It helps TREMENDOUSLY!!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

What a great thread!

Some good ideas here! (well except maybe for Kevin's nose-picking... LOL.... You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose.... you know the rest! (groan!))

I have been taking karate for 5 years and I really enjoy it. Somehow I managed to drink during the past two years and still go to karate (albiet not as regular as before). My goal now is to get back to going to my classes faithfully twice a week and work on getting my 2nd degree. I'd also like to start going to the extra class offered on Saturday mornings. I use to go to that class - before I relapsed. That Saturday morning class is MURDER with a hangover!!!! And since Friday nites was my biggest drinking nite, I got out of the habit of going on Saturday mornings. So I'm looking forward to renewing my passion in karate.

I love hearing about the other things that people do. Belly-dancing?! WOW! I would love to try that!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

With my job at a local grocery store here in Houston, HEB, I physically work hard 3 days a week from 8am to 2pm. Im the bagger, carryout, cart collecter and various other jobs in Customer Service. Im not a cashier mainly because i like bagging the groceries. There is an art to doing that and most customers appreciate their groceries handled with care. : ) And beside i love going outside. Right now the temperature is over 100 heat index...OUTCH....so when i go out in the heat and sweat, i come back inside where it is cooler and head to the deep freezer where they keep all the frozen food for the store. I just stand in there for awhile till my sweat almost turns into ice crystals.... : ) PRETTY COOL or COLD I should say.

And soooo with lifting heavy bags of dog food or countless cases of water...and pushing in no more than 10 carts at a time, i use many muscles and energy to keep me in shape. I just hope i realize that at my age this isnt taking too much of a toll on my body. : ) Joints and things like that.

All in MODERATION. Too much of anything isnt good. Right?

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

How's the exercising going for our clean and sober community?

Has anyone tried something new since they got sober or clean?

Anyone Hula Dancing today? How about rafting? Swimming? Playing in a band? Shoveling snow?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey El Gato...how r u today? If ud like to share ur thoughts on exercise then id love for u to share here with the rest of us. Would you please?????

Thanks buddy.... : )

......6 months sober is AWESOME. Dont stop there......
Old 10-06-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I havent been jogging in awhile...i was soooo hoping we'd have cooler weather by now....still sticky and hot down here in Houston...YUK..!

What exercise r u doing today?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

hmm havent spotted this thread before..cool
since ive been sober started selfdefence/kickboxing,kyaking and running..
signed up for a couple of 10km/6m runs this month.. better get in some practice tomorrow...
Old 10-06-2006, 01:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Bob Your great at the fittness stuff you will have to spill some tip's there matey...
Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I just got back from walk/jog around a 2 mile track not far from here....its still blazing hot tho....WHERE"S THE fALL /AUTMN WEATHER? It's 87 out here right now... YIKES..! Anyway....i like going before people start showing up. I dont like crowds and so i take advantage of the track almost to myself with the exception of a few "cute runners...lol Behave Sharon....I just shared on my other thread about my "sexual behavior" u can go share there too is ur having problems in that area...lol

I looked and smiled and spoke to the cute runners ...but i didnt leave with them....lol DARNIT..! im kidden u guys...lol Im MARRIED.... : ) DARNIT..! lol 24 yrs.... OH NOOOOOO...! lol
Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great thread. I have been sober for 19 days and started running about a week ago. I used to run b4 and loved it. I am finding that I am looking forward to going out to run more and more which is pretty exciting. I am already thinking about a morning run.. Would never be thinking of that is I was drinking. This is a loooonnnnggg shot, but I have always dreamed of running a marathon so I thought I better start running.. lol..
Joanne