Notices

What's Your Favorite Meeting Time And Why?

Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up What's Your Favorite Meeting Time And Why?

Hi, my name is Sharon and Im an alcoholic.

By the Grace of my Higher Power and you people in these rooms I havent had a drink of alcoholic since 8-11-90. For that I am truely greatful.

I remember in early recovery i knew i had to go to AA meetings if I wanted to stay sober. At that time 15 yrs ago, i had small children and a family to care for. So while my kids were in school during the day I would make many noon meetings. That was my time to get my daily dose of AA medicine for the day and prepare me for the remaining day with the family.

After time in recovery I eventually attended other meetings thru out the day. Anything to stay sober one day at a time.

What times of the day do u like going to meetings and why?

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

My name is Vic and I am an addict. Probably dang lucky to be here clean that is for sure. I used to say pleased and fortunate but I am not always pleased about it but I sure in the heck am fortunate. I haven't had to take a drug (alcohol is a drug) since January 15, 2002 but I have. Now I haven't taken a drug since May 25, 2006 and for that I am extremely grateful.

I have a few what you would call my favorite meetings! I only make them two groups and we have a total of 6 different groups here. You can make up to 5 meeting a day, if that is what it takes. I did do that in 2002, I couldn't live in my own skin and I remember on my 90 days, I thought that I had made 300 meetings, that was my goal. Then when I went up to the meeting, the AA Happy Hour Meeting, I was disappointed in myself for I had miscounted and only had 297. I was beating myself up for not making my 300, then someone said maybe you counted wrong. Hum perception, instead of dwelling on the negative, turn to the positive.

So the meeting that I make sure that I make EVERYDAY is my AA Happy Hour meeting. It was started back in 2001 and has been growing ever since. It starts at 4:30 pm and ends sometimes by 6:00pm. The reason that I like it the most is because it has a lot of good sobriety there, and the people tell you like it is. They are compassionate, and yet they will call you on your crap. Sometimes I get upset at that but really when it does make you upset it is a good time to look at yourself and see why it made you so upset.
The reason that I like going to that, is because it fits right into my scedule and it gives you time at night to enjoy yourself at home, maybe do Internet or maybe do bookwork. It gives enough time to do dinner and not be in a hurry.

Now the other meeting that I like is the NA Group that I started! Where Dreams Come True Group, it starts at 7 and ends by 8. I like that meeting to deal with my crazy head, and lets me know that I am not alone. Also the main reason is that this group has become the most powerful group in our area, and it make me feel proud that I contributed to the society at large doing service for others. OK have to run thanks for letting me share.

Love Vic
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My group has a minimum of 3 a day. My favorite is the 6:30pm. It gives me time to work, fight Houston traffic and get there in enough time to get some coffee and laughs before it starts. Noon doesn't work for me and 8:00 is too late for me since I have to get up super early in the mornings. On weekends I am more flexible but during the week I hit as many of the 6:30 ones as I can (usually a minimum of 4 per week with at least one on the weekend).

Interesting question Sharon!
Kellye
Old 07-07-2006, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi you guys. Thanks for ur replies. Yeah that question just poped into my head this morning and I thought id throw it out to the group. Nothing really spectacular but something to think upon, esp. the newcomers.

If the "NEWCOMERS" could see a pattern of meetings members do per day or week and put it together with the days sober then it may inspire them to stick to their own meetings.

MEETINGS x MEETINGS = TOTAL DAYS SOBER

Or if u can come up with a better equation than mine....hey go for it...lol

I wasnt good in math anyway.... : )

My meetings before i came to Houston were:

Monday....Noon....St. Paul's I called that one the Rolex Group. : )
Tuesday... 7:30pm Step Study Meeting
Wednesday....Club 12 meeting or back at St. Pauls noon meeting Open Meetings
Thursday.....Maybe Club 12 or an 8pm meeting
Friday....St. Pauls Noon
Saturday...8pm Speaker Meeting
Sunday.....A choice between 2 meetings at a hospital....one discussion the other Speaker. I went to one or the other.

There were other meetings in between there that i sometimes went to like Big Book Studies or AA conventions or other AA functions but those listed above were closest to me to go to.

Now here in Houston.....ive been here 10 yrs and have been 2 a number of meeting with one very near to me. But.....i spend most all my time here with u guys.

That's not to say that this SHOULD take the place of face to face meetings because it shouldnt unless u r unable to get to one....those meetings allow u to really hear the words of hope and see the miracles of sobriety unfold right before ur eyes. I went to TONS of meetings my forst 7 yrs of recovery laying down a firm and stable foundation in sobriety. I listened alot and absorbed much to be able to pass on what i learned and experienced from them to you.

So share what meetings u go to so others can see how u stay sober.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr .HELP ME I HAVE KIDS

Well I dont do meetings anymore as I feel i can cope wothout them but my favorite time was the 8 am one we had ..It was a gr8 way to start the day and go out into the world with a positive aspect on life .I thanks my Hp which i chose to call God ,That i am sober today after 13 years ...I will share just a little with you on an experience I had on july 3rd,We went to a def leppard concert and the whole stadium waas filled with the putred smell of stale beer and people falling all over one another staggering drunk,And since when i drank ,I dont remember much ...It made me ponder and think was i this stupid and foolish when i was drinking.

But seeing that all reminded me that i was so happy that my life is without this demon and i would never have too look like that again.Even the smell didnt make me want so i truly believe i have a full control of my demon there.

On a lighter note the concert Was really gr8 Journey was there as well...I guess i will always be a child of 70's and 80's music lol
Old 07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would give anything to have remembered my Journey Concert back in the late 70's or early 80's. All the concerts i did go to back then i had won tickets over the radio. So that was a free concert and I DON'T REMEMBER IT AT ALL. : ( The reason why i dont remember my concerts back then was because i was drinking and smoking pot. Not much on the pot but more drinking. It was just COOL back then in the 70's. : )

Anyway.....today i have most ALL of Journey's old stuff. Music, concerts. Just to keep the memory of what I missed out on a GREAT BAND. AWESOME..! ROCK N' ROLL....

Ok, back to meetings.....

I know today meetings r still very much important to me and my recovery. I always heard that those that went back out to drink was because they STOPPED going to meetings. They got Laxed in their recovery, like putting it on the back burner. For me, i dont ever want to forget who I am and where I came from. An ALCOHOLIC WHO CAN NEVER DRINK SUCCESSFULLY EVER AGAIN. And that's ok with me because ive replaced it with something even more meaningful and humbling in my life. A faith with a Power Greater than I and a Recovery Program which guides me to live a better way of life HAPPY, JOYOUS AND FREE.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

7 a.m.
Start my day with AA...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Every thursday i go to the most supportive womans group. We disscuss anything to do with women in recovery.Its the Back- bone of my recovery.
Without the other women at that group.
I would probabley still be sitting in a corner of my house hiding from the world n selfharming with the guilt of the past...Phew...!

Now its over a year im a part of the group.Relapse prevention n stuff aswell.Selfessem,motivation, n the odd trip to the spa, aswell.
We did the Vagina monolges on international womans day this year...
Comedy poetry about addiction which is so much FUN.
Dr Maya Angaluo is my fav in powerful poetry...Still I Rise..!

Whats in your Handbag...? ect..
Since devoting my time to recovery,ive found a wealth of feedback.
The Managment of the drug agencie that i use offered me a JOB maintaining, n helping to design another Garden. WoW. Miricals can happen in recovery.!
But im now learning that the wheels of Management move slowly.
Slowly, Hopefull, that will work out just great...

Thats my favorite group.

BIG UP the womans Group YER...!!!!!!

Survivours all and one. unity is the strength of a comunity
Old 07-07-2006, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

My favourite meeting time is the time when I am there

I love a lunch time meeting in the city and I also love early evening (6:30) meetings, I go to my home group at 6:30 on Saturdays.

But you will find me at any meeting when I feel I need one and when I feel I don't need one. My experience some Months ago with stopping meetings was pure insanity, I do not recommend it.

Have a great weekend.

Kevin
Old 09-29-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello SR...

Im Sharon and Im An Alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR I havent had
a drink of Alcohol since 8-11-90.
For that and you Im truely grateful.

Im refreshing this topic for the newer
members just joining SR and of course
those who have been here awhile and
havent seen this topic and would like
to share their own thoughts or ESH with us........

Enjoy ur day.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by nogard
My favourite meeting time is the time when I am there

I love a lunch time meeting in the city and I also love early evening (6:30) meetings, I go to my home group at 6:30 on Saturdays.

But you will find me at any meeting when I feel I need one and when I feel I don't need one. My experience some Months ago with stopping meetings was pure insanity, I do not recommend it.

Have a great weekend.

Kevin

lol this is still my fave meeting
Old 09-30-2006, 03:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

favorite meeting times

Hi -

I'm Deb, and I'm an alcoholic.

I'm celebrating 31 days today!

My usual meetings are the 8:00pm because I work graveyard shift. So I can sit at the club downstairs for an hour or so before going in to work. (where I get online - don't even have a phone, much less a computer at home)

It gives me a chance to wakeup and approach the world with an adjusted attitude!
On Tues and Thurs, I go to the 'live and let live' , then up to the 'home' group meeting (open, BB, 12/12...whatever).
So I get two on those days, and two or three even on my two days off - depends if I can wake up early enough for the noon meeting!

I've been in AA before, so while it's not my first trip to the rodeo, it is the first time I've had such severe physical damage from drinking. And I pray it's my last time 'coming back'. It is certainly the first time I'd ever tried to hurt myself.

So right now, I'm saturating myself back into the program. I've never in my life felt at home anywhere. This time, I know without a bit of doubt that I am home. And we are family.

And that I am willing and committed to do whatever it takes.

thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wonderful share Barb...and thanks for sharing ur ESH with us and the many joining us. ...That is great for ur 31 days.....like u said, this is not ur first trip here and now something is definitely different......Sometimes it does take a few times to become willing....and now that u r here...WELCOME.... : )

Now has more meaning to u...AA stands for something....Ur willingness and desire to be here will carry u far....Taking time out wherever ur to come here to share ur ESH with me and others is how it works....Ur helping the ones following u by sharing ur hope with them....if anyone can go thru what u have,,what each of us have...and stay clean and sober...one day at a time...then hopefully they will be inspired to reach out and grab a hold of what we are freely handing out to them to help them......

Feeling a part of an AA family and feeling like u belong is the most awesome feeling.....when no one else understands me esp. family and friends not in recovery...i always know where to go for that love care and support i so desperatly need in my life....

it gives me chills just thinking how lucky u r to have a family there in ur home group that cares sooo much for u.....now you have a place u belong too...

HOME.... : ) Enjoy ur day and KEEP COMING BACK.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bumping this topic up so the newer members
can share their own ESH with us.